Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Re: The New Project: Part Deux!

They have been gluing real aircraft parts together for a few decades so why not cars?

Jan
My Car My Book My Photos
Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I sold commercial printing & coding/printing equipment for a few years...
A silk screen would be a terribly inefficient way to linearly code something.
The <span style="font-weight: bold">Packard TVR Suppression 1Q73</span> was in all likely hood done in line while the wire was being manufactured, with a rotary letter press, (rubber stamp on a wheel which is inked with either an anilox roller, or some inking system)

The cylinder indications were also done with a rubber stamp (probably not rotary and most likely while the individual wire sets were being put together) although the impression pressure was much higher as indicated by the &quot;halo's around the numbers&quot; where the paint/ink squeezed out.

NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, &amp; other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Back to the unitized wire set rebuilding.

Received the new wire set for the &quot;octopus&quot; and new spark plug terminal ends for the old wire set.

I got a box of 50 of the spark plug terminal ends and installed eight of them with the correct crimping tool. It's amazing what having the right tool for the right job will do! The angles on these terminals are an exact match to the originals.

The new donor wire set I got was from Lectric Limited. No one makes unitized wire sets, so these are for the regular points style ignition. They are date coded 3rd quarter 1971. I removed the tower boots and terminals from each new wire. I then carefully removed the bowtie terminal ends from each of the remnants of the original cut wires from the &quot;octopus&quot; with a small screw driver to pry the edges up and then a needle nosed pliers to bend the tabs.

Once I got the terminals off, I noticed that not only did the original wires have a section of the inner graphite core stripped and folded over to lie against the terminal base, they also had a one inch section of copper wire stuck into the end of each wire and bent over to also form a contact with the terminal. In addition to that, the terminal has an internal barb that pierces the wire and touches the internal graphite wire. I used the new crimping tool to affix each bowtie terminal to the wires. I also use some White Out to number each wire so I knew which is which.

After getting all the wires matched to length, (the new set has the correct number of long, medium and short wires that match the unitized wires length), I applied a layer of black weatherstrip adhesive to both sides of the octopus and the channels where the wires set. I inserted all the wires and seated the terminals through the octopus. I then installed the octopus on the cap and bolted the coil down on top which created the perfect clamp for the wire set. I also used a bunch of large binder clips and clothes pins to squeeze the outer edges together and will let it sit overnight.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM

Did you check the conductivity and resistance before you clamped it?

Jan
My Car My Book My Photos
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM

Yes. There is a slght problem though with checking ohms on carbon cores versus wire core spark plug wires. The old set was very sensitive to how hard you pressed the probe to the wire ends. The new set were very close to each other, resistance-wise.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 PM

Here is the 1112203 (1973) distributor all back together with the new wires and octopus installed.

I checked the resistance of all the plug wires with an ohm meter and they are the same as when they were single wires with the old boot style terminals, so nothing was affected by the transplant.

Here's a question for any unitized experts out there:

Both of my coils have this strange &quot;hammertone&quot; black finish on them. Is this how it should look? Or should it be gloss black like the NOS coil packs I have seen.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM

I got a Valentines Day gift from MIDYR up in Ontario who was able to get the Ontario ownership search done through the DMV up there. Thanks Lance! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

You have to have a Canadian driver's license to purchase the search. It costs $20. Also note how it shows the word &quot;VOID&quot; all over the document when you scan or copy it. The actual document has an intricate green watermark that covers the entire page.

Neat stuff! It shows the attorney William Nursey being the listed owner as of January 4, 1973. So it looks like he put it in his own name after only one year and not after the three year lease expired, as I had thought before. Maybe a perk of his position as a partner in the law practice?

I also shows the second owner James Robinson, having purchased it from WIlliam Nursey on July 4, 1985. As the prior research indicates, Robinson put on the NOS quarters and painted the car and then sold it to the late owner in British Columbia. That man's widow then sold it to Grant in 2011, who sold it to me in 2012.

I have tried to locate both gentlemen but have come to a dead end. William Nursey is listed as a General Counsel for London Life Insurance Co. in London Ontario, although the date of that info is several years old. I called their General Counsel's Office and they did not have him listed as an employee. He may have passed on several years ago.

James Robinson's Ontario phone numbers are disconnected from the old Hemmings ad listed previously in this thread as well as numbers from my old paperwork.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Documentation............you can never have too much!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Congrats Steve!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Gotta love Canadian records! (and Canadian car-people, too) [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 AM

Steve knowing your quest for rare Pontiacs... I thought you could try to run this one down next... looks like a Black and Blue 73 T/A SD.

NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, &amp; other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos