Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Thanks Verne & Tom

History & Specs:

One owner boat. Owner died 3 years ago and his cousin inherited it. Put it on the water a couple times then decided to sell.
1960 Thompson Bros (Peshtigo, WI) SeaCoaster Special. 16' Mahogany deck and interior. All original hardware except the replacement voltage meter on the dash (which doesn't work). I have the original amp gauge that occupied the same hole. Came with a pair of Thompson skis, rope and ladder, and original paddle. I also have the original fuel tank which looks nice but I'd want to coat it inside before using it.
The original motor on it is a '58 Evinrude FourFifty. It's Evinrude's first V4, 70cuin, 3" bores, two-stroke, belt driven magneto/points ignition with electric start and a generator. One 2bbl carb and a thermostat to control motor temp. Rated at 50hp. Paint, decals and emblems on the motor are original. Motor is "fondly" referred to as a "Fat Fifty". Tons of torque: said to be able to lift 4 skiers.
Trailer is a '60 Gator. Plans include a refurb on it. I have the original wheels and tires.
I purchased an nos period-correct Airguide tachometer which matches the other gauges, but I'm up against some friendly opposition regarding drilling a hole in that mahogany dashboard....

I'd like to publically thank Tom Payne for all the transportation chores this toy has presented, and for the use of his shop and time which allowed me to have that grin on my face.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Verne,

It was my pleasure to help you out. Your little Thompson is just a neat,neat little boat. We sure had fun didn't we?

Dennis,Don and Rick thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to come visit "the center of the universe". The welcome mat is always out! Here's the picture that Rick wanted posted I think.

This was some of the treasure I found when I was cleaning out the "weeds" after I purchased my shop. I left it as yard art. I suppose on some level this might be considered a "Supercar". Dennis feel free to post any of the "after" pictures you want. I can post the "befores" if anyone is interested.

Thomas
Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

That's the one Tom. Exactly how it was laid to rest many, many years ago! This in itself made the trip worthwhile and that was even before you showed us your car collection! Damn I didn't bring the camera again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 07-22-2009, 03:10 AM

Hey Tom, welcome aboard!

I can post a couple of pix later this evening if I can keep the squirrel on the treadmill.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:26 AM

Photobucket isn't cooperating tonite!

Let's see if it works this time. Here's the Captain with the new toy.

All original finish on the mahogany. NICE!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 AM

Now some shots of Tom's Chevy II and the shop. I could LIVE here!

The car is sitting on a 20s/30s vintage Rotary Lift that Tom rebuilt and restored. Yes, it's fully functional and works like new.

A shop 'Necessity'!

......and some 'appropriate decor'.

Don contemplating his order.

And what shop doesn't have a few of these laying around?

What a cool place!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Gee wiz Dennis you make my shop look great. Here's what it looked like before your clever photography made it look so good.

That's the lift if you look close in the above picture.

A little repair and it's now good to go.

The below is the area where Vern's boat was sitting before I "freshen" that space up!

Maybe one more "before". The Pepsi machine is to the left of my son. I put it back in the same spot it's been in for 50 years.

The shop restoration was a fun project and I got to spend a Bunch of time with my son doing it. Highly recommended.

Thomas
Old 07-24-2009, 07:03 PM

OMG!! I thought you were pulling my chain...how the heck did you sort through all that cool stuff and fluff it up in one mans lifetime...I think I would still be in there lost and happy digging through it all.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:21 AM

Man, there is so much stuff there, it looks like you needed three more shops to store it, or several LARGE dumpsters???

It is very cool now!!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM

We just started on one end and worked our way through the building. That took about 5 months. The piles were 1.)keep for sure, 2.) keep and revisit whether to keep, 3.)recycle or discard. We wound up recycling 48 tons of steel from inside and out. Discarded 272 tires. I've still got another building to go through that needs to be emptied by October. Don, Dennis and Rick never made it to that one. That building is set to be torn down this fall after I get the replacement built. Anyone need some NOS shocks for a 1928-30 Chevy or a set of new, in the box, flat head Ford pistons and rings? That's just some of the parts found.

Before when I bought it:

After much sweat:

The inside took 1 1/2 years and the outside (5 acres) is still in progress.

Thomas