Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 04-19-2017, 01:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Mark Ten Ignition

I feel like I may have seen one of these posted on the site??? Someone explain it. It was on my 396 325hp 65 Impala Wagon
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_20170414_135935.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Decent article:

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/1...tive-ignition/

excerpt: A CD ignition system works a little differently by employing a capacitor to store something like 440 volts of electrical energy. This high voltage energizes the primary side of the coil. As you can imagine, it doesn’t take very long for the primary side of the coil to completely energize. With the primary side energized, the connection is broken and the voltage dissipates across the coil’s secondary windings and a much higher potential voltage is created. The advantage to a CD ignition is this higher secondary potential voltage can jump across the open gap of a spark plug under high pressure–as with high boost supercharged or turbocharged applications. The disadvantage of a CD is that the spark duration is much shorter. That was the marketing genius of MSD’s ignition program when that company started back in the 1970’s. MSD stands for multiple spark discharge. Company founder Jack Priegel said that his ignition could fire three times at speeds below 3,000 rpm to help completely burn the fuel in the cylinder. The reason for this was the CD’s ability to recharge the primary side of the coil very quickly. The disadvantage of the CD ignition is that the spark duration is not nearly as long as an inductive. There are plenty of arguments on both sides of the table as to the advantages and disadvantages of each ignition system.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the great explanation and info... so a mid 60's version of pre MSD? This unit was not hooked up when I got the car but was still bolted to the inner fender.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik9r View Post
Thanks for the great explanation and info... so a mid 60's version of pre MSD? This unit was not hooked up when I got the car but was still bolted to the inner fender.
No problem. You can pick up NOS in the box for 80-150. I believe Motion put these coupled to Mallory dizzys and coils in a lot of their conversion cars. BTW, Mallory makes a CDI specific coil.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Wonder why Mark 10 faded away, and MSD went on to become the primary supplier of CD ignition boxes?
Old 05-13-2017, 02:31 PM

I actually just bought a Mark Ten B off eBay about 5 mins ago lol.....needs a new sticker though.