Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-31-2018, 02:25 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default The Mighty Dodge D-OneFiddy

The year was 1989. The 80s crazy hairspray rock bands and tube socks to your knees was about to come to an end (thankfully). The trucks back then were the last of the holdouts to the earlier days: vent windows, big exterior ornaments, mouldings, and badges were still envouge. Even dog-dish hubcaps were still standard! I stumbled across this 1989 D150 and had to snatch it up.

So what's a certified car nut to do with a truck like this? Simple! Start looking for paperwork and markings like I'd do on any classic. This truck is extremely rare so finding paperwork to back the provenance of this classic is a must. After all, it is one of only 195,000 Rams made that year. It's also highly optioned being a power window, lock, and carpet delete model. And, new for 1989: clearcoat paint! Yes, this truck has it all. No wonder you see so many on the road! ABS, Airbags, Traction Control, CD player?* Fear not!! They are there too.... on other cars. 65,000 original miles show that not only was this truck used sparingly, it's lack of comfort/power/convenience really made it a worthwhile investment to drive around. And the 90mph speedometer shows that long, high-speed highway cruising should best be avoided on today's busy thoroughfares. The venerable 318 featured TBI injection, a first for that year, which was good for a reality bending 190hp and 225 ft/lbs of torque. Yes, floor it, and the Earth will lose a second of time struggling to rotate against that kind of force.

A quick tilt of the reat seat reveals the mint Broadcast Sheet tucked in the springs. Why is it no matter what kind of car you have, when you find this thing you really think you hit paydirt?* Are we all that dorky? Don't answer that. But this one was really cool since it ous folded up so perfectly and still held together on the perferations with a carbon sheet in between!* The result? Two perfect copies. So what do all the codes mean? No longer do you have to Google it or ask your buddy's buddy who knows everything. Just turn the sheet over and they are all spelled out! CL7 Cargo Light option? Oh... It's there... and that's about it. The coveted Fender Tag on our Mopars moved to a sticker placed on the lip of the underside of the hood. A quick wipe with some cleaning solvent takes care of any additional information one may need.

The original manuals still in the glove box with the same style of clear plastic sleeve that my 69 Super Bee had. And.... the Harrison A/C sticker that gets put on the driver's side door was still in the envelope.... unused! I'm telling you... where do I start the bidding at??

It's such a cool truck and the funny thing is I have gotten more horn honks and thumbs up from people in the last few days than I've gotten with my other classics I've had. Now, yes, they're from truck drivers that have been up for 14hrs and lawn service crews, but still!

For now, Old Blue as she's affectionately known around here,* will stay stock. But what's in the future? Nothing. You can't improve on such perfection!!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by A12pilot; 03-31-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry ramgj8.jpg int451.png catb8.jpg bs6i8.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Great purchase Dave, everybody needs a parts hauler.
Now if your postings could have Sam Elliot's voice over, that would be Ram Tough.
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 04-01-2018, 02:24 AM

Ive always thought those were some of the best looking pickups.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:07 AM

Cool truck Dave..

Rich
Old 04-01-2018, 04:24 AM

That is nice!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Man...no way I could get that baritone. It’s a cool truck so far and figured I’d have some fun posting it up. A neat thing to see some of the 60s things continued that late like a clear plastic sleeve for the owners manuals, vent windows, the broadcast sheet.

Cheers

Dave
Old 04-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Where is the mighty engine pic ?
Old 04-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Great truck Dave. Nothing like getting something that is almost 30 years old and is as exciting as buying a brand new vehicle.

Excellent buy. Congrats.

Phil
Old 04-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

I haven't power washed the engine or cleaned the interior yet, but here's the massive 318 2V-TBI Thunderjet motor. Derated by insurance companies demands so premiums would be affordable! Yes, the starter actually produces more torque than the motor, but at least if you need to change the plugs you can stand next to the motor to do so! Fires were optional that year, but many had them so the previous owner installed the OS15 Fire Suppression option available over the counter. That stays but the PB69 portable console went into the garbage.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2018, 03:21 PM

Thanked 3,783 Times in 1,603 Posts

----Dave,,, Those consoles are worth big bucks, man! You could have bought a chrome tip for the exhaust! Plus, you cant go fast enough to get a ticket. No need for a radar detector.
----Seriously, That truck is seriously clean. You can see right thru the bedsides on most all the 2015 Dodge trucks around here........Bill S