Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 07-24-2008, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Information/history of a 72 Motion Camaro in N

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking with Dave Miller the other day and he said they were Kool-Fuel bars. I also remember seeing some pictures of them in old mags and I think that's what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Tommy for the scan of the decal! Neat. Love the '70s theme.."Keep on Trackin'"..LOL.. I remember those days.

I'll make a note of the brands. So far searching on the www has not returned any pics or info. I don't think I have any magazines that go that far back. I didn't get into the hot-rod/musclecar stuff till about 1979. I do have several boxes of old magazines in the attic at Dad's that I hope I didn't throw away over the years.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 PM

What happened to the engine that was in the car? Can you track it down?

I recall one of the members on here snet Joel the money to verify his car and the letter came back as (paraphradsed) "That car is the style of what we built at Motion and may be a Motion car". Anyone else please correct me if I am incorrect.

You may want to invite some local Yenko.net members to come on over and go over the car before sending Joel the money. A keg and a BBQ go a long way to inducing guys to take a look!!

Either way it is/will be a cool car!!!!

1974 Jeep CJ5 - 304 V8, Edelbrock Intake, Holley 650, MSD Ignition, Patriot Headers
Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

What kind of shocks are those? Did the car receive the "Top Cat" kit? Hurst shocks?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened to the engine that was in the car? Can you track it down? I recall one of the members on here sent Joel the money to verify his car and the letter came back as (paraphrased) "That car is the style of what we built at Motion and may be a Motion car". Anyone else please correct me if I am incorrect.
You may want to invite some local Yenko.net members to come on over and go over the car before sending Joel the money. A keg and a BBQ go a long way to inducing guys to take a look!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I have the numbers that were stamped on the ID pad written down from our first look in 1984. No idea yet where that engine is. Of course it would not be a 'numbers matching' block. Somewhere out there is an LT1 with the matching VIN number. As for spending the $$ to have Joel authenticate the Camaro, I'd hope that something more definitive than 'it may be a MOTION' would be sent back. It better be a firm YES or NO, not a...'maybe'.

If there are any of you here in the Raleigh area or willing to come out to take a look in person that would be great! Especially if you know what to look for. Still we'd love to show it to anyone. I myself want to haul it out to The Forge in TN if they're willing to have this 'barn find' on display. I think quite a bit of attention would result. Well, it'd be a lot more actually if the original ENGINE were still in the car...

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of shocks are those? Did the car receive the "Top Cat" kit? Hurst shocks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure due to the grime on the shocks. I guess when they are removed and cleaned up we'll find out! I didn't see any obvious markings or decals when I was taking pics under it the other day.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/...maro/index.htm

There it is. Found one. Twin Z-28 stripes on hood and onto trunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

here is another one

Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 AM

That's my old car. It started as a 71 Z-28 and got an LS-6. Still had the original 10-bolt with 4.10's. Was a Baldwin Motion car originally sold to a dentist out of PA. Paint was about 90% original.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 AM

Default Camaro photos URL updated

[ QUOTE ]
My brother Scott posted the above question several months ago. Today we were discussing attending SCR 11 and bringing along this 1972 Camaro. http://kh2pm.dynip.com/motion/
A quick introduction..I have been into musclecars since the late 70's. My first car was a 1970 1/2 Camaro Z28, which I bought (beat and barely running) in 1982. Scott has a 1970 Olds 442 W-30 http://www.pbase.com/drillbit which he bought in the mid 80's and has fully restored with the help of our Dad who painted the 442. Scott is also currently restoring a 1979 Trans Am and has a finished '70 Dodge Challenger 440/6.
We are trying to get as much info as we can on the Camaro prior to starting the restoration. If you notice in the pictures, the last time it was registered was in 1984. Scott and I actually looked at this Camaro in 1984/85 in the Raleigh area for sale. Here are the notes I wrote down during that visit and subsequently stashed away for 23 years. http://kh2pm.dynip.com/motion/10-29-...-camaro028.JPG
When going through some of my old stuff in the attic at my Dad's house a couple years ago I found that piece of paper and gave it to Scott. He actually tracked down the Camaro again and bought it in October 2007 in Eastern NC in it's present condition, minus the BBC which had MOTION valve covers and "bug-eye" air cleaner when we looked at it 23 years ago.
I'm hoping that these pictures will generate some interesting, productive discussions. Searching the internet for the past few months I have found very little information on Baldwin-Motion musclecars. This forum seems to have a wealth of knowledgeable enthusiasts! Hopefully one of you guys currently have, or have owned a similar Camaro and can help with info on the restoration.

Chris McKendry
Holly Springs NC

[/ QUOTE ]

In my original post I have links to pictures. The web server URL has changed. Either use the links above that I have corrected, or in my first post replace n5cwm with kh2pm to view the pictures. I'd simply edit that original post but it's been too long and the edit link is gone.

No new news regarding the Camaro. Scott and Dad went to SCR11 but I haven't seen the pictures they took.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Camaro photos URL updated

Well folks, we have documentation! Scott's '72 Camaro came from Park Chevrolet and we have copies of the original State of New York Certificate of Sale from "Motion Performance 598 Sunrise HWY Baldwin LI"-April 1972. Selling dealership was Park Chevrolet, Asbury Park NJ. Not disclosing any names of owners here on a public forum but we have a nice paper trail!
Many docs are stamped YW-316!

Scott's Camaro is still in the same un-restored condition just as it is in the photos at http://kh2pm.dynip.com/motion

More updates coming, and pics of the documents as well! This is awesome news for Scott (my brother) and I!!!

Scott is planning on commencing a full restoration to MOTION specs, as close to he can get it to as it was when it left Joel's shop. Hopefully contact with some previous owners will land some nice polaroids/photos of the Camaro back in the day!

Chris
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Information/history of a 72 Motion Camaro in NC

Big congrats! Keep us posted on yr progress, [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Information/history of a 72 Motion Camaro in NC

Awesome job. Congrats . How did you go about searching the cars history ?