Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 03:00 AM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

If you would like to learn more about VIN Fraud you can access this link. It has Federal and 7 States (OH, CA, PA, GA, VT, NY & WI) laws which cover VIN Fraud

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/...VINfraud.shtml
Old 05-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

My Zl-1 had only the original roof, windshield supports, trunk hinge area, cowl/door jamb areas and rockers worth saving. All the original stamped dates were on those parts. Car coud have been rebodied way easier than fixed, but I chose to fix. A real 69 Z-28 was donated to get an original tunnel, firewall, etc. All GM sheetmetal was then used to fix outer portions of car. So is this car really a rebody?

Assuming someone keeps this 68 firewall and does not touch VIN, cowl tags, numbers, etc. and replaces all other parts, would this be a rebody?

BTW, I hear my ZL-1 ended up getting rebodied anyway after I sold it...

Last edited by iluv69s; 05-26-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:07 PM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv69s View Post
My Zl-1 had only the original roof, windshield supports, trunk hinge area, cowl/door jamb areas and rockers worth saving. All the original stamped dates were on those parts. Car coud have been rebodied way easier than fixed, but I chose to fix. A real 69 Z-28 was donated to get an original tunnel, firewall, etc. All GM sheetmetal was then used to fix outer portions of car. So is this car really a rebody?
As long as you used the original Cowl Tag then no it was not a rebody

Quote:
Assuming someone keeps this 68 firewall and does not touch VIN, cowl tags, numbers, etc. and replaces all other parts, would this be a rebody?
No - just an extensive restoration. A rebody is when you take a Cowl Tag and place in on a donor car which replaces the donor car's Cowl Tag. You then destroy the donor car's Cowl Tag (and title) and notify both the Police and DMV (if this procedure is legal in your state - in some states it isn't) what you have done so they can keep their records straight. You have to have clear titles to the Cowl Tag "car" and the donor car.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,140 Posts

'

Sorry but gotta say not everyone here would agree to the above Rebody or not statements, myself included.
As much as outright tag-jumping from one body to the other is surely a rebody, those built from sections of more than one car may also be considered rebody cars too...regardless of original tags being reused whether removed/reaffixed or left untouched/attached to any grafted sections used.
Sorry again but there's no simple yes/no answer and each situation often very unique depending on what's been done, admitted/obscured.

~ Pete

CanCOPO (06-12-2017), cook_dw (05-28-2017), Rick99 (06-01-2017), ZLP955 (05-27-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 10:41 PM

Thanked 5,987 Times in 2,920 Posts

I have to agree with Andy - I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a car described as an "extensive restoration" that had started as a firewall and tags. Semantics maybe....
The Following User Says Thank You to scuncio For This Useful Post:
CanCOPO (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv69s View Post

BTW, I hear my ZL-1 ended up getting rebodied anyway after I sold it...
Why?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:56 PM

At least the original documented bumper guards are there.