Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 08-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,611 Times in 495 Posts
Default Tires and wheels...2004 Suburban

I'm looking for some suggestions on wheels and tires for our 2004 Suburban. The current tires are Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 265/70-R17...they are on the factory alloy wheels. The spare is a 265/70-R16 ? mounted on a plain steel wheel.

I use the truck as a daily driver, for towing and as a 'woods vehicle'..our Adirondack camp is accessed by 9 miles of rough 4wd road. I have always been concerned about the impact on the current wheels and tires.

So, since I will need to get new tires before winter the thought was to get tires that had a stronger sidewall...and to ditch the fancy mags in favor of 4 plain steel wheels like the spare.

I would appreciate thoughts and suggestions on this subject.

Thanks, Tom
Attached Images

02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_3504.jpg IMG_0149.JPG IMG_0148.JPG Charleyfull-23-56758-tn_img_1873.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,173 Posts

Would be kind of a pain, and take some time, but those spare wheels (most came with a steel spare) are not in demand, and there is one in every every suburban, tahoo, Yukon and Yukon XL in the salvage yards. I bet a lot of them have never even been on the ground. Might fine four in one yard.

Personally, I would not buy aftermarket steel wheels. Then just buy four 16" tires that are approximately the same height as your original tires.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:04 PM

I've been very happy with the Yokohama Geolanders on my Suburban--great all weather traction, decent ride when the pressure is down and tow a 7500+ lb. trailer surprisingly well when pumped up, cost was reasonable as well.

Can't help on the rims but I think Lynn has the right idea.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:35 PM

Default 16" wheels....

Lynn...I called the local salvage guy...he thinks he has some wheels...but, he was concerned about the spares not being considered a 'road wheel'. I recall lots of Chevy trucks that had these style plain wheels, especially local, gov't and highway dept vehicles.

So, do you know is there a difference between a regular oem road wheel and the spare??

thanks for all the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Would be kind of a pain, and take some time, but those spare wheels (most came with a steel spare) are not in demand, and there is one in every every suburban, tahoo, Yukon and Yukon XL in the salvage yards. I bet a lot of them have never even been on the ground. Might fine four in one yard.

Personally, I would not buy aftermarket steel wheels. Then just buy four 16" tires that are approximately the same height as your original tires.
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 08-03-2017, 04:44 PM

I've had to remove a spare on many of these trucks in the last few years. They tend to rust just like yours. When you tighten the lugs, things feel soft.

I swapped out the spare on my truck for a machange to the aluminum wheels I have.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/wto...214243264.html

I like these wheels. You could even use an aluminum you have in the spare position.

Your tire sizes are right. I like the Gooodgear Adventure tires with Kevlar in a load range E. I run them and get 50k and they work very well in all conditions.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:09 PM

I have had my 2003 Yukon XL since new and have used only Michelin LTX 245/75/16 10 ply tires, Not a lot of choices for 17 inch wheels and up and you lose the 10 ply option.
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 08-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Michelin AT/2 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...WLV5&tab=Specs

Last edited by Donnie; 08-03-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:02 AM

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
Lynn...I called the local salvage guy...he thinks he has some wheels...but, he was concerned about the spares not being considered a 'road wheel'. I recall lots of Chevy trucks that had these style plain wheels, especially local, gov't and highway dept vehicles.

So, do you know is there a difference between a regular oem road wheel and the spare??

thanks for all the help
I have not heard of that. Of course there are spare tires that are not for long term use.
I understand the small temporary spare and all the warning labels on them. I can't imagine that the steel wheel would not be suitable for long term use WITHOUT being labeled as such. The tire doesn't say anything about temporary use, does it? Can you imagine the liability issues for GM if they put this on there for a spare, did not label it, and it wasn't suitable for long term use?

Found this in a 2005 Suburban owner's manual:

Your vehicle may be equipped with a different
size spare than the road tires (those originally
installed on your vehicle). When new, your
vehicle included a spare tire and wheel
assembly with a similar overall diameter as
your vehicle’s road tires and wheels, so it is all
right to drive on it. Because this spare was
developed for use on your vehicle, it will not
affect vehicle handling.

Personally, if you have a fairly tall sidewall, and you do at 70 series tires, I don't know that I would be concerned about damaging a wheel. The factory wheels are pretty tough. Still if you are concerned about the durability of the alloys, I personally would not be one bit afraid of running 4 of the steel whees that originally had spares on them.

I am confused by the tire sizes though. Did it come with 265 70 17 tires for sure? The above indicates the spare is a similar diameter as the driving tires. But yours are a full one inch diff in height.

Tire Rack says your vehicle could have come with either size from the factory. But if you like the height of your current tires, I think I would like to run a 275 70 16. Hmmm, wondering if you ordered a Suburban without the alloy wheel package if you simply got the 16 inch rims that are exactly the same rim as your spare? I would bet so. All steel rims feel a little soft when tightening lugs compared to alloys. They give; that is why it is so important to tighten in stages in a star pattern.

The 17's are 31.6 inches tall, and the 16's are 30.6 inches tall. If you do go to 16's and you want about the same height, I think I would go with 275 70 16. Gives you just a little more cushion and puts you at 31.15 inches tall.

Just my opnion.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:37 PM

Post tires and wheels..

I checked with a Chevy Service Manager I know and he said the spare tire wheel is fine to use. Also found out the alloys are 7.5" wide and the 16" steel wheel is 6.5. So, it looks like the wheel is fine to use if I go that direction.

Called Discount Tire Direct [bought from them before] and we discussed some tire options, they recommended a 3 ply sidewall for extra durability on my off road adventures. This is the BF Goodrich tire they suggested...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Truck%2FSUV

They also felt that the alloy wheels were fine and saw no need to change to all steel. So, I will continue to do some homework and see what develops.

I know the state police use Tahoes...going to see what tire ad wheel they come with...I would suspect the wheel would be a HD item for that application.

Thanks for the input..

Tom
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 08-06-2017, 05:38 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Those BFGs they recommended will be loud as hell on the road with that super aggressive tread style. (and they are also really expensive and wear out quickly).

Another vote for the Yokohama Geolanders. I use 265/75x16 in load range E for our 1995 K2500 diesel Suburban on more recent GM PYO aluminum wheels from a 2002 3/4 ton. The Geos last a long time, are quiet and I have never had a problem balancing them. I am on my third set. Given that you tow, I would definitely use a load range E otherwise you are at the max load for just an "SL" rated tire running on an empty Suburban.

I usually go with discounttiredirect.com as they have free shipping. Here's the size you are looking for: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ca&exposed=ldr

Also, wait til Labor Day. Yokohama and Discounttire usually have a holiday rebate debit card of $100 in addition to Discount tire's usual $60 rebate at the same time. They just had one for the Fourth of July sale.

Too bad yours isn't a 3/4 ton otherwise I have a set of 8 lug (very heavy) steel wheels from my 'Burb.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 08-06-2017 at 05:57 PM.