Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 09-08-2017, 02:27 PM

Question AMC 304 V8 Balancer Installation - Help!

I am installing a Professional Products balancer on my AMC 304 V8. The issue is when the balancer is installed properly and torqued down the pulley is about a 1/4 of an inch too far out. So either the balancer isn't going on all of the way or it is bottoming out.

I can see traces of grease on the oil slinger in the shape of a ring the same as the end of the balancer so I believe it is bottoming out.

The length of the 'snout' on the balancer is about 7/8 of an inch while the distance from the oil slinger (it butts up against the lower timing chain gear) to the outside of the timing cover at the seal is 7/16 of an inch. So it would seem the balancer cannot go on all of the way due to not enough room. I have confirmed with a few folks that the length of the balancer is correct.

Any AMC experts out there who can confirm the proper distance from the slinger to the outside of the timing chain cover? Any thoughts on what is wrong?

Thanks for the help!!!!

1974 Jeep CJ5 - 304 V8, Edelbrock Intake, Holley 650, MSD Ignition, Patriot Headers
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...

Tags
304, amc, balancer