Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 03-23-2017, 09:59 PM

Default help me pic an LS6 replacement cam in my not so LS6 monte

I have a 70 SS454 Monte that while a real LS5 car - is not really much of its original LS5 self...

the previous owner put flatop pistons in, they are either SpeedPro replacements or the 71 LS5/6 flattops... either way they have single valve reliefs in them and a slight notch at one end... i assumed a -5cc dish when I did the math... - and with the big chamber heads - compression was at 8:1 at best i'm told.

I bought a set of 66-67 closed chamber 396 heads that I had larger valves put in and some mild port work done... they CCed at 94ccs.

I installed a .018 shim head gasket - and believe its running right around 9.7:1 - 10:1 - with the guesswork on the pistons I cant be sure.

Car has a B&M Holeshot 2400 converter and 3.31 gears.

Running the stock type log manifolds, 2.5" exhaust...

It has an Elgin copy of the LS6 camshaft, stock iron oval port qjet intake and the orignal 850qjet reworked by Cliff.

I have a set of 3.73s for the car - but really don't want to give the highway driveability.
The car runs OK, but just doesn't have that "ELEPHANT ON THE CHEST" feel or explosive torque I want.

I'm ok with a solid or hydraullic flat tappet - but would otherwise like to keep the engine looking 100% oe.... i would consider using the corvette style branch manifolds if that really would help = but other than that... anyone have any suggestions on an ideal cam for a fun street car that would run a decent time without getting too crazy?
Thanks

Aaron

Last edited by aaronkl84corvett; 03-26-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...