Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Garages/shops..

Old 11-22-2016, 09:17 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: New garage to be built need your input

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had this built with the cheapest siding and cheapest roof material for 35K. Included 11 loads of gravel and full foundation, 8&quot; floor. Custom engineered trusses (I pre priced everything with the builder, getting the 30ft ones done was not easy for the high lift door). I shopped around alot. Forget thinking Amish builders are cheap, they are not. Went with a Polish outfit out of Chicago. Quality is outstanding.

I think its almost 1500 sq ft. first bay you see from the road is 21 x 24 deep. the next bay is 20 x 30 deep (did not want 30 ft depth visible from road, that worked out well). Last bay (9 ft ceiling, loft overhead) without overhead door is 11 x 24. Again, did not want to see a 30ft deep structure from the house.

why the 24ft depth? My 1959 house I have now and the house I grew up in the city, had that depth. I like it. My moms new house I used to store cars at was I think 20 or 21 deep and I hated it. I would never never never recommend anything less that 24 or 25ft deep. Now if you get too deep, the garage could look out of character with your house (mine sits in the front side yard, wife still married to me). If I made the whole thing 30ft deep, she would have divorced me.

Do u plan on heating it?

</div></div>
Old 11-23-2016, 05:39 AM

I have a forced air furnance tucked in the corner. 90% plus. Many fireman do HVAC on the side, and I got one to do it pretty cheap.
Used a ducane (lennox copy). so far so good.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:01 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,069 Times in 903 Posts

My next shop will have radiant heat. My Dad has it in his shop and it is REALLY nice.

You're not getting any younger Bary...................take care of those old bones [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

Tim
Old 11-28-2016, 04:33 PM

Dont forget to over design electrical outlets i mean I had to go back and add few more outlets for fans, drop lights and the like also had to add another 4 plug connectors by entrance door for tuner, projector, cable box, garage door opener wasnt hard to do just a pain since had to modify what we just built. they say hind sight is 20/20
90 Formula 350
Old 11-28-2016, 06:40 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Anyone have anchor pots in the floor?
Old 11-28-2016, 06:43 PM

Propane is cheap round here so that is what I used for heat - installed myself as it is fairly straight forward. Very toasty and warms up quickly. Ceiling fans are beneficial in maximizing heating and a/c (turns the air over). Window a/c (110V) takes care of cooling in my 2.5 car (500 sq ft x 9'4&quot; tall) garage. Concur on electrical outlets - you will never say that you installed too many. Allow for 220 outlet for best efficiencies for your compressor and other high draw equipment. Don't skimp on insulation, it is relatively cheap and pays you back in extreme temps (hi or low). Concur with 2x6 walls for additional insulation. Ensure you have plenty of lighting as once you start putting stuff in your shop you will find lots of shadows that need to be addressed. Would go with strong trusses with at least 2x6 or greater construction in order to store in your attic if you have one. Consider putting your windows up higher toward ceiling for natural light and minimize prying eyes and potential ingress points for the baddies. Research yr electrical power and compressed air requirements (type and positioning in your garage) when considering your lift(s). Consider lots of air drops inside and maybe an air drop outside for access to compressed air for outside projects. Consider isolating dirty machines (grinders, cutters, wire wheel, welding, etc. in a separate room to keep from messing up the rest of the shop. Isolate your compressor for noise. Go visit as many garages as you can and make note of things you like. Ask them what they would do differently. Have fun and make sure to post your build here!

Old 11-28-2016, 09:03 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put in 4 car garage a few years ago. I put 11 foot ceilings so I can stack cars... the garage is 24' x 40'...(barn style w apartment above. I put 10' door in rear so I can put my car trailer inside if needed. I put all air and most electric in the cieling on reels. I built in air and water supplies periodically in the walls also. I wired for a big screen and cable TV and have surround sound speakers in the cieling. I have a propane forced air system hanging for heat. My propane tanks and compressor are outside in separate sheds along side garage. (helps with space and noise)
My main regret is that I did not make it 4 foot wider to help fit equipment/work benches, etc. along side the cars.

Good luck !! </div></div>

....something that I forgot. I used 1/4&quot; plywood for all the cielings and walls...no drywall...So, in my garage, I can literally screw anywhere I like!!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:10 PM

I put in 4 car garage a few years ago. I put 11 foot ceilings so I can stack cars... the garage is 24' x 40'...(barn style w apartment above. I put 10' door in rear so I can put my car trailer inside if needed. I put all air and most electric in the cieling on reels. I built in air and water supplies periodically in the walls also. I wired for a big screen and cable TV and have surround sound speakers in the cieling. I have a propane forced air system hanging for heat. My propane tanks and compressor are outside in separate sheds along side garage. (helps with space and noise)
My main regret is that I did not make it 4 foot wider to help fit equipment/work benches, etc. along side the cars.

Good luck !! [/quote]

....something that I forgot. I used 1/4&quot; plywood for all the cielings and walls...no drywall...So, in my garage, I can literally screw anywhere I like!![/quote]

Did you paint the plywood? If you have a pic plz post
Thx
Old 11-29-2016, 02:54 PM

iluv69s, you mean 1/2&quot; or 3/4&quot; plywood, right? 1/4&quot; seems pretty weak and flimsy, and I can see insulation (R23 for 2x6 walls, R49 ceilings) bowing that.
I regret not using roxul in my garage vs fiberglass. Better R value per inch. I just did my whole remodeled house in it. Added benefit is superior sound proofing.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:00 AM

Thanked 1,560 Times in 814 Posts

A lot of info here. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
2013 Corvette Grand Sport 60th Anniversary
-Delivered to Bill Jacobs Chevrolet, Joliet, IL
NCRS#66003

“Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.”-Pete Seeger

http://dykstramotorsports.weebly.com/index.html