Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Trim Tag: none at all or repro?

What's wrong with my idea??? Have all of your info stamped on new tag and have "REPO TAG" stamped on the bottom. You get your tag and no one ever gets fooled. Seems easy enough. m
Old 12-14-2005, 08:43 AM

Just want to start off by saying I agree with those here on the entire fake tags, vins, etc. And I like the idea of having a "clone" stamp. Ive been thinking about that for a while, and when the time comes that I build one, I'm thinking about stamping "clone" into the tag and the engine block. But anyway.

Let me run this one by you guys.

Around 1990 or so, a friend of the family bought a 69 PC. Original paint, original interior, and #s matching everything (exc for rear end). However, sometime years earlier, someone had robbed the car of the cowl hood, all the cowl induction parts, 12 bolt, and the trim tag. Other wise, the car was basically unmolested, so no doubt of it being a real PC.

The dealer sticker was still on the back of the car. Looked them up, still in business, and believe it or not, they were able to dig up some original paperwork from the car. The same old guy still owned the dealership, and he was able to obtain the original dealer invoice on the car.

He had a repop tag made for the car. But in this circumstance, with paperwork, having had the original paint and interior prior to resto, and everything (but rear end, of course) #s matching, do you think this could qualify as the one in a million legit reasons to have one (meaning no intention of fraud, whatsoever)?

Of course, looking back in hindsight, with the current climate of the hobby/market, maybe not a great idea. I'm sure the tag is easily spotted now, but has paperwork behind it. Have no idea how the BDY # was chosen. I would think there are now two cars out there with that particular #.

dave
Old 12-14-2005, 02:20 PM

I like the idea of stamping something like "repro tag" or "replacement tag" or something of that sort. Not "clone" as RamAirDave suggested because the car is in no way a clone. I think that way Is has best of both worlds. Worst part would be forking out over 200 bucks for a piece of scrap metal.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM

Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,144 Posts

Again such a great topic and all really valid opinions and ideas but w/ the endless unique circumstances that can present itself, it's not possible to nail down a simple right or wrong way of dealing w/ it. . The only constant thing that is possible is, whatever anyone does in their own personal situations w/ restamps, repop or used Trim tags and repop items that include the Vin (incl. door stickers), let it be open knowledge to a buyer come sale time or if the vehicle is presented for status certification.
With this '67 SS situation, although I admire how the owner is open about it all off the hop, it seems somewhat contradicting when he says the concern is so someone at a show won't say 'hey, where's your trim tag?' and not for close inspection yet also claims he can't use a tag off his own parts cars as the colors are wrong? .
So whatever happens w/ this SS or in any of the unique murky situations we encounter, do whatever you feel best with, just be open and admit whatever you've done when the time comes? ~ Pete
Old 12-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Have a repro one made that says;

What the hell you lookin at?
Are you the trim tag police?
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 12-14-2005, 07:58 PM

Old 12-15-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have a repro one made that says;

What the hell you lookin at?
Are you the trim tag police?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be hilarious. I'll put it on there if you buy it. LOL

Pete actually the trim tag doesnt have the vin on it.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 AM

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

He had a repop tag made for the car. But in this circumstance, with paperwork, having had the original paint and interior prior to resto, and everything (but rear end, of course) #s matching, do you think this could qualify as the one in a million legit reasons to have one (meaning no intention of fraud, whatsoever)?
dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave:

I really respect you, respect your point of view, respect all of the great advice you have given so many even though you and I have never met or talked. I've seen pictures of some of your work, and you do some really good work.

However, I really think the answer to this one is obvious. With all the documentation on this particular car, why mess it up with a fake (notice I said fake, not reproduction, reproduced, or restoration part) trim tag. It will forever call into question ALL ASPECTS of the car.

The logic goes like this: "Well if he faked the trim tag, did he fake the engine, fake the dealer sticker, fake the other documents?"

I really don't understand why it is so hard to accept the history of the car as it is for what it is. You are an honest guy. After you put GM quarters on a car, regardless of how well, you wouldn't advertise the car as having it original quarters. So it needed quarters. Big deal. Just tell them it needed quarters, and they were done correctly. That is part of the history of the car.

For example, check out this thread about, of all things, what appears to be a real Pace Car with an obvious fake tag.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69425

Have to admire the guy who said: "Its not one of the real blatant style of fake tags, but theres enough there to tell."

Lynn
My opinion, and only because you asked.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:37 AM

Lynn,

I completely agree, and the respect is more than mutual. I appreciate your comments. Not just based on this thread, but on all the others youve had on this board and TC.

I totally agree with your logic (the same that I have) that it will question the car. But back in that time (1990 or so), things were different. The money wasnt as big as it is now, and the internet wasnt around to share so much info and opinions. Today, it would be better to have no tag at all, I would think, especially having paper on it.

I'm definately against the "fake" cars, as you may already know. Like yourself, I will help or share info/knowledge about all those that show up. The main part of my sharing the story of that particular car was to show that not every single repo tag was for the sole purpose of fraud. Unfortunately, the other 99% or so is for that reason.

Lynn, youre "somewhat" local to me. If youre ever in the LR area, it would be great for you to give me a call.

Side note: Last I heard (99 or 00), the car was in S Cal. No options really other than the RS/SS PC things, column shift. Would be interested if anyone knows of the car out there.

dave
Old 12-15-2005, 02:19 PM

Lynn, I'm not really familiar with camaros, only chevelles. Can you tell me how you can tell its a fake tag? Well besides the new paint on it.