Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-26-2018, 12:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,169 Posts
Default Good Weekend so far (long post)

Boy, I am on a roll. Almost don't want to talk about it for fear of jinxing.

Yesterday: Posted earlier about the 34 Ford hot rod kit car that I am helping some friends with. Checked it out a couple weeks ago and the fuel pump was bad. Rebuildable Holley. I took a gas can full of 100LL to add to the tank. Not sure how much fuel is in the tank, but it did not smell good. Mind you, it wasn't horribly stinky, as I would expect if it had ethanol in there for a few years, so figured adding the really good stuff might make it at least combustible. Put in about 3 gal.
Decided to hook up a temporary electric pump to see if I could get it going. Had lots of gas in the oil (guessing the fuel pump diaphram ruptured, dumping gas in the engine). Anyway, changed oil. Installed a block off plate where the fuel pump was and wired in an electric pump. Gas spraying everywhere. Replaced the three rubber lines that were rotted. Told you it had been sitting for "awhile" right? No one in the family could tell me the last time Dad drove it. Dad died last year. Anyway, it not only ran, but ran really well. Replaced two rotted vac caps on the front ports of the Edelbrock carb, warmed it up, and adjusted the mixture by ear. I would guess the timing is a little too far advanced, as it did not crank well when hot. But, didn't have a timing light. I drove it up and down the street to make sure it would move under its own power. The family is happy selling it as is; which is a 90% complete street rod. There is a seat frame, but no padding and no upholstery. I sat on a blanket to drive it. All in all, felt like a victory. They already have an offer of $15k, but I believe they would like to see in excess of 20. I figure if they get 20, they will be lucky. Not really my cup of tea.

Came back home, and realized I still had about 2 gal of the 100LL in the gas can. Some of you know, I just bought a 57 Packard Clipper. For those who don't know, the drivetrain in the 57 Clipper is identical to the 57 Golden Hawk Studebaker. Yeah, the supercharged Studebaker 289 (zero relation to a Ford 289). In fact, the frame, brakes, and rear are all the same. The Packard body is rough, but I don't need it. The supercharger had been rebuilt and the engine reportedly ran. I had not heard it run, so Sherri and I headed over to my friend's place (where I am keeping the Packard until I move it into the new shop). Took a battery, fuel line and the can with about a gallon of the 100LL. The car doesn't even have a gas tank. Installed the battery, ran a hot wire up to the resistor on the firewall (dont' even have keys to this pic so had to hot wire it) hooke up the fuel line to the carb inlet pipe, shorted across the solenoid with a screwdriver and she fired right up. Doesn't even smoke. Reved it up and down a bit to make sure the variable pulley on the supercharger was working as intended, and sure enough. Looks like a keeper. Plan to put this engine, trans, frame, brakes and rear axle in my 1953 Studebaker hardtop. All are interchangeable, and all are vastly superior (well, maybe not the axle, but I believe it is a TT (Stude speak for posi) but both are Dane 44's). Frame, though interchangeable, is more stout, being 12 gauge instead of the 14 they used in 53.

Next up, I have shared a little bit about the Publishing Museum building we are restoring. We are making progress, but I was out for a couple months, so not as far along as I had hoped. The lights are always off, and we wanted to get all four balconies lit up, so it wouldn't look so desolate at night. Sherri and I spent a couple hours with the fellow that was the curator there 30 years ago trying to figure out how to get the balconies lit. After about an hour and a half, he remembered having an electrician wire in a mercury switch. We found it, bypassed it, and voila, we have all the balconies lit. I will post a pic one day this week. Attaching my favorite pic of the building. Taken some time after 1994, but not sure when. That is our home in the back ground on the left. Gonna have to raise about $4million to get this building where I want it. My first foray into the non profit world. Fun so far.

Hells bells, I am on such a roll, why stop? I started the little Opel GT on friday. First time it ran since 1974. I noticed a little seepage of water on the pass side from the head. Crap; maybe I should have used a thicker head gasket or used some sealer. Well, pulled the carbs and intake today, along with the valve cover and retorqued the head. Book says 35 ft. lbs. I took a chance and torqued to 45. I know some guys that put 45 on hose clamps... you know who you are... surely these head bolts can take 45, right?. Put it back together, and started it up. Running a straight pipe right now, as I am waiting on the muffler (found one in Italy... so it could be a while. The twin one barrels had been sitting for 34 years when I disassembled them and rebuilt them last year. I checked all the measurements twice and had to do very little adjusting. Sounds like I am bragging (maybe I am a little bit) but the ONLY adjustments I made after setting the timing (put it at about 8 degrees advanced for initial) was to screw in the main idle valve, then set the mixture screws. Only had to move the mixture screws about 1/4 turn in each. Have to wait until the exhaust is all together to fine tune it. I welded in an O2 sensor bung, so I could hook up an AFR meter and see exactly where things are. Will play with tuning later to get max mpg.

Set the toe on the front tires. Not sure why, but the toe in on this car when I got it was like 4 inches out. Don't know what the P.O had been doing. I had taken the rack and pinion apart last year, cleaned and lubed and put new boots on but waited til the engine was in before setting it. Took it for its first ride since 1974. Wow, is this little car tight. Drives like it did on 1969. I kept the 13 inch wheels, and found some 165 x 13 radial tires for it. Still has the Delco spiral shocks, and I was surprised, none leak and all are still pretty stiff. I took it to the gas station (also had a couple gallons of that 100LL in the Opel) and put another 6 gallons of premium (no ethanol) gas in it. Was so excited about how well it drove, I installed the passenger seat so I could take Sherri for a ride. She was really surprised at the ride quality. She couldn't believe how well the doors open and shut. I have not made any adjustments on the doors. There is zero sag. I am posting pics of the massive hinges along with the factory grease zerks that are easy to get to. This is how door hinges should be made.

Very few issues left with this one. Gas gauge doesn't work. Still have to diagnose. Radio and clock are inop. But, all the lights work and the turn signals even cancel. It sets to high in the front. I relocated the battery. The original 50 pounder was sitting out in the nose well ahead of the front axle, and I put a 21 pound battery in the back over the rear axle. I am sure that contributes some to the nose up attitude. Will figure out how to get the front down, and may lower it front and rear.

Have one more project to handle tonight before calling it quits for the weekend. All in all, pretty productive.
Attached Images

mockingbird812 (03-26-2018)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry march2018.rt.jpg March2018.left.jpg hinge.upper.jpg hinge.lower.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Lynn, you know how to have fun!!!

I really enjoy the variety of projects you and the Mrs. get yourselves into.

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 03-26-2018, 02:33 PM

That building is great!!
Old 03-26-2018, 04:23 PM

You need to go buy a lottery ticket pronto.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:02 PM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

Sounds like one heck of a good weekend.

I bought another car I don't need....
Old 03-26-2018, 05:28 PM

Good on you Lynn! It would take me a month of weekends to approach your productivity. Thanks for sharing. Love the Opel!!

Old 03-26-2018, 05:57 PM

And, we DID get that last project done.
Came in about 9:40 last night. Just one of those weekends where everything falls into place.

I had ruined one of the bumper extensions on my 83 BMW 745i backing into the garage with the sun in my face (doh). Got new ones last week. Waited over a month for the parts, as they are Euro only stuff, and you have to PROVE you actually own one of those cars or BMW NA blocks the sale. PITA, but just thankful that BMW has what they call a Mobile Tradition policy where they still make some of the normal wear parts for 30 and 40 year old bimmers.

Had to pull the rear bumper to be able to change them out, but came out really nice. Just fortunate that the only sheet metal damage is hidden by the trim pieces.

Tired today. I agree Eric, if I did the lotto, this would be the time to go buy one.

Taking it easy this week. Back at the office and working on Museum stuff.
We have the Grandsons on Thurs.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:24 PM

WOW! That is a productive weekend. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Jason
Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird812 View Post
Good on you Lynn! It would take me a month of weekends to approach your productivity. Thanks for sharing. Love the Opel!!
I am just trying to keep up with Kwhizz.