Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,150 Times in 915 Posts
Default Edelbrock SY1 intake SBC

Does anyone have experience with the Edelbrock SY1 intake? Looking at the inside of it, I can only assume it would be a little tricky to get even fuel distribution to each cylinder. I bought one at a swap meet and would like to use it on my day 2 67 Nova with a 421.
Thanks,
Tim
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-17-2009, 02:51 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,150 Times in 915 Posts
Default Re: Edelbrock SY1 intake SBC

nothing?
Old 11-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Well, I've always had an intake manifold fetish so I've always had an interest in trying a "Smokey Ram". I read an pretty interesting story a couple of months back specifically about the development of this intake between Vic Edelbrock Jr. and Smokey. I'll try to dig it up. Basically they are long, straight, runner'ed tunnel rams that are flattened out for hood clearance. They say when you get one dialed in, they have incredible mid-range pull. Oh yeah one more thing......don't pump the gas pedal 'til you actually have the motor spinning over. That giant plenum and the possibility of fual-puddling can make for an intake explosion.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Hello,you may still be able to get a set-up/info/tech sheet from Edelbrock for your SY-1 manifold.I have one of these manifolds,like brand new,and asked for the tech sheet and they sent me one,no charge.Car Craft magazine did a full write up on this maniflod once,way back in the 70's.I believe Smokey himself also gave some info on this manifold in Hot Rod magazine also,once upon a time.These intakes are quite rare and NOBODY knows anything about them.Smokey says they are indeed touchy to set up but once you get it right you will have one BAD ASS screamer.Start with a Holley 850 double pumper,PART NUMBER-4781 and go from there.The gasket that seals the top to bottom will have to be made from scratch if you need one.Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 PM

NO the intakes are not rare, they are uncommon because they are more for the circle track guys than the 1/4 milers. They where designed to use in Trans Am, they have lots of mid and upper RPM. Ive had a dozen, from 75 bucks up to a few hundred. Finding one un-modified is pretty tuff. Almost every single one Ive ever had came from some kind of circle track racer, a couple from midgets, i dont know the classes, but thats where i always find them, I recently bought one right off craigs list for 100 bucks, the guy raced circle in the 70s...theres always a few on ebay, and they always sell if they are reasobably priced, I always wanted to do a Trans Am racer type camaro and use one, but never get that far, i always get the greed and sell them....

They had some design flaws, they like to puddle fuel, the plenum is so big the fuel would come out of atomization. There are some tech articles, they take the lid off and weld up some walls to help control air flow and puddling. My uncle ran them alot, and i think thats why i am fascinated by them...memories.... AS a matter of fact, I had a speed shop owner tell me they where going to cast them again if they had enough orders..that was in the 80s the world has changed so i dont know if they really ever did, but the thats what he said, and he was a big time circle track guy, they actually built cars and motors...

So the word rare isnt really appropriate, uncommon is more realistic, they work if you6 in the 6000 rmp range, and they are very cool....
Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 AM

I remember my dad looking at them at carlisle a bunch of years ago. He was going to put it on his '55. I still see them at Carlisle all the time.