Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 10-03-2002, 06:51 PM

Default Vendor or Source of "FLASH" Chrome?????

Who can come close to the look of the FLASH or decorative chrome that was given to Air Cleaner Lids and Valve Covers.....Chuck Sharin aka [email protected]
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Vendor or Source of "FLASH" Chrome?????

Chuck
Send the pieces to any less than reputable chrome shop. That's how some of their "good" work turns out. You can also send it to reputable chrome shop and ask them how much to show chrome the piece and when they say $300 tell them you only have $50 in your budget and can they do it for that amount. Whola, "flash" chrome.
Dave
Old 10-04-2002, 02:53 AM

Thanked 3,855 Times in 998 Posts

One thing to keep in mind (I was told this by a chrome shop), they cannot truly do a flash chrome as was done 30 years ago due to the process and EPA regulations today. Different metals and chemicals are used now that give a different hue to the chrome. They only way to reproduce that is to find someone doing it the old, now illegal way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 10-04-2002, 03:45 AM

There was a place doing the proper flash chroming to big block valve covers a few years ago but I think they quit. Check with Year One to see if they still sell those valve covers that were concours correct that were about triple the price of the basic repros.................RatPack.............
Old 10-04-2002, 03:53 AM

Chuck are you looking for either typs of cover or you wanting to get something plated? If to get something plated it would have to be done out of country. Most likely Mexico or the PI. Go to http://www.dragracingpinoy.com/ and then to the contact us icon and send them the same question on getting parts done. cheap and good. also check out some of the cars on their site or at least the Chevys, a lot of retired military stayed there with cars and its like being in the 60's again those of you into the day 2 stuff would love the pics of the cars not the girls :P
Old 10-04-2002, 05:42 PM

Jeff and others, Thanks for your responses.....My L-78 Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner Lid will need rechroming and I'm not sure if the valve covers are ORIGINAL and accurate or not...I think 1970 L-78(LS-6) valve covers should have some spot welded metal clips to support either smog pump hoses or TCS wiring or ????.....see i dont even know.....can somebody with survivor LS-6 or L-78 help me out.....and I'll have to research this chrome issue and find someone knowledgeable......Thanks, Chuck
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 10-04-2002, 06:49 PM

Chuck, The reason I asked what you are looking for is I now a guy here that has been a BBC nut since they came out Yes since they came out.(hes 64) He has all kinds of stuff stashed away that people have forgot about and most likely most have never seen or heard of. I wll see if he has any of the items and see what can be worked out.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:50 PM

Great topic for me as I just had my valvecovers and air cleaner lid for 67 350/295hp rechromed. As much as I tried to convey flash chroming to the unmentioned chromer, He proceeded to grind the pieces and copper them too much. Now I'm left with unusable "too" shiney pieces that have lost the thin metal detail of originals. I believe that the problem lies in the fact that when the metal pieces are intially stamped they are already smoothed pieces and then economically dipped without further hand work. Once the piece is 35 years old and gets stripped it cannot be flashed again without some copper base or what-have-you or else the platers are just not grasping the concept. Another problem is that the tight corners have grind marks on them that were never there originally, to get them out would create an even shinier condition. If someone knows a plater who can simulate flash...please post...Tom...I've already lost out big time once and don't want to send my stuff to Timbuktu
Old 10-04-2002, 10:43 PM

Thanked 3,855 Times in 998 Posts

Chuck,
1970 Chevelle big blocks used covers with three clips on the passenger side cover. One is on top just aft of the forward cover attaching bolt, the second is on top just in front of the rear attaching bolt (both for the TCS switch). The last is on the bottom side just aft of the third from the front attaching bolt (for the temp sending unit).

The drivers side has a clip on the bottom side and is mounted between the second and third mounting bolt (for the temp sender unit). That cover has a slight angle cut at the rear for the booster clearance. Hopefully, that is what you are looking for.

My office computer is down so I cannot e-mail you good photos until Tuesday if you need them.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations