Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 07-07-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Re: 1969 Trans Am

Mike...was there any sort of *special* hood on the RAIV T/A cars? I could have sworn the pics showed something other than the standard 69 T/A hood...and I even remember the gentleman mentioning someone had offered him some insane $$$ just for the hood alone, but I guess if a standard 69 T/A hood is bringing in the neighborhood of 10 large that's pretty insane, and this was a few years back.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:05 AM

Did anyone from here buy the '69 T/A from Z & Z Camaro in '99 or 2000?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:28 AM

Yes, it is correct down to the poverty caps & IF code rims. A real musclecar,as no console/ralleys/chrome trim, but has stack gauges/am radio/4spd close ratio.
It was a mint body, being in Fla. & Colorado. All #s match, all orig raiv system. I used all GM nos emblems weatherstrips etc. I was lucky as the orig. interior was retained, only changed carpet.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:30 AM

Z&Z had a RAIII auto a/c car. My friend bought & sold it.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:37 AM

No, there was no difference between the regular 69 Trans Am hood and a 69 Trans Am RAIV hood. Of course, there was a big difference between the long twin scoops of a Trans Am hood verses the smaller "traditional" scoops of a 67-69 Firebird 400! The 69 Trans Am hood was a one year only item, and only used on the Trans Am.

Not sure what you may have seen, but it may have just been the fact that the guy had a steel T/A hood. There's lots of clones running around with the fiberglass hood.

The only factory installed fiberglass hood was on the prototype car, which oddly enough was Palladium Silver (not white with blue stripes), and was road tested by Hot Rod. This one off fiberglass hood had a slightly different scoop shape, but looked like the 69 Trans Am production version.

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 07-09-2004, 05:20 PM

HI Mike, I believe the silver prototype had scoops molded in hood.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:57 PM

Yes, the silver prototype had the scoops molded in, very similar to the way the reproduction fiberglass hood was (is), but the silver prototype had a slightly different shape to the scoops, more squared off. Pontiac molded that hood for the prototype, but decided to go with a steel version when it proved to be cheaper to stamp, they could maintain better quality control, and get a better fit and finish. The scoops on the 69 Trans Am steel hood were removeable.

In 1970, Pontiac ended up using a fiberglass hood on the Formula because those two long, tunnel style scoops could not easily be stamped in steel.

As a sidenote, the 69 Ram Air setup I was referring to above was cumbersome, contained many pieces, and was a one year only item. It used a small 9" diameter x 2" high filter retained in the hood, and a screen mesh strainer over the carb for catching large debris, similar to an L88 Corvette. When Royal Pontiac prepped a 69 Firebird 400 for a magazine test, they discarded the whole 69 setup, and used a 68 Firebird Ram Air setup, which used the standard 14 x 3 inch filter mounted on a Ram Air tub base. Easy to remove, provided much more air, and arguably looked better.

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 07-09-2004, 09:40 PM

HI Mike, yes the bird RA system very complex & hard to find. The upper pan is same for RAIII & IV, but the bird slightly differs from TA. The lower /RAIII/RAIV pans are the same. There is no lower now made in steel, but I've seen a RAIII modified to a RAIV. No one does the raiv exh. manifold shield.
There are no more repros being stamped out, so now even the copies are hard to get. I'm having the RAIV exh. manifold shroud done exactly if anyone needs one. I'm pretty lucky my TA had all orig. RAIV parts, & I have all parts for my raiv convert.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 PM

Supercar_Kid,I still have my real '69 ta raiv 4sp car #20 barn find from 2002 that has been parked and stored since '73.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69TARAIV4SP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Supercar_Kid,I still have my real '69 ta raiv 4sp car #20 barn find from 2002 that has been parked and stored since '73. </div></div>

That's awesome? Got any pics?

You are responding to a 12 year old thread and SupercarKid hasn't been on this site in 3years but who cares...pics of your awesome T/A please!!