Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Default WI Title/Registration question

In 2004, when I was 17, I purchased a 1986 Camaro Z28. When we went to register and title the vehicle, my dad filled out his information (my dad and I have the same name). When the vehicle turned 20 in 2006, we paid to get collector plates (still titled/registered in my dad's name). The registration on collector plates is a one time fee and you no longer have to pay annual registration fees.

Fast forward to today. I'm looking at buying a classic car. I'd like to get the collector plates on this future vehicle which would have the same number as my Camaro but with an "A" after the number. Unfortunately, since the Camaro isn't titled in my name, I don't think I can do this. Is there a way to transfer the Camaro's title to my name and retain the collector plates? I really want to keep my collector plate number for sentimental reasons.

Has anyone went through this before? Can a title be transferred to an heir and the plates retained? My dad isn't a car guy and we don't live in the same city, thus to keep things "clean", I'd like to be the sole person on the title.

Thank you,

Greg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...