Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbenny View Post
Mark, What to do with the 302? Advertivse here on the site. If dosen;t sell, try craigs list. But don;t give it away. Standing on edge in the corner of the garage dosen;t take up alot of room! JMO BBBenny
X2 -- don't do something you will regret in the future ... slide it under the bench!! TAZ
Old 04-08-2018, 06:46 PM

Everything I own is Rat-powered so I'm a hardcore fan of the BBC. But that said, they are heavy pigs especially when iron-headed and will really shove the nose of the car down. I kinda like the idea of a 427 SBC disguised to look like a stock 302: orange paint, finned valve covers, stock aluminum intake, etc.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:11 PM

If you change the car to a big block you'll have other costs... Heater core, heater core cover, motor mounts, motor mount stands, headers, modifying exhaust, bellhousing (likely), trans cross member, etc. If you want to keep the build a tad more manageable, you could run a 427 small block or even a 383 stroker. GM Performance Parts as a great 383 stroker that makes good power.

Dan
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 PM

Just rebuild the 302 with some better upgrades. Change the trans and also go with a little lower rear gear. Will run and perform very well. Why go thru all that BB swap and push that 302 motor under the bench just to rust up?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:58 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

Thanks for the opinions and advice. That little 302 just doesn't have the torque for what I want to do with it. Something like a 383 or 406 (a SB 427 would be awesome but out of the budget) should give me what I need.

I'm going to get the 302 down to a short block and put it up for sale. LOL, anyone interested?
John 10:30
Old 04-10-2018, 03:33 AM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 633 Posts

Does the 302 still have the VIN for your car stamped into the side of the block? If it does then you need to keep it with the car. Even though the block has been decked the VIN will still identify it as a 302 if it matches your true Z28.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM

You can make some pretty obnoxious torque with a garden variety 400 small block, even with factory heads. Built right, these make for stupid--and cheap-- fun on the street.

For whatever reason they seem to have somewhat fallen out of favor, so the prices for a decent core are down. If you choose to go that route, be mindful that they are known for cracks so make sure you're starting with a good core. Also, the 2 bolt blocks are actually stronger than the 4 bolts in stock form. If you plan on really stepping on it, it doesn't cost much to convert the center 3 mains on a 2 bolt block to splayed caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinnaples View Post
As I've mentioned before, I lost an oil ring in the 302 in my Camaro, so I want to swap it out for something with a little more torque and I've been taking my time and shopping around for what to put in next after I finish some stuff around the house.

I've considered another small block; maybe a 383 stroker or 406, but I've toyed with the idea of putting in a decently built big block with lots of low-end torque. Shouldn't be too hard of a swap as I have manual steering and manual brakes, but I am a little concerned about the extra weight of the BB with the manual steering (eventually changing to power steering but that's down the road some due to budgetary constraints).

So, with all of the extensive experience in here I thought I'd ask you what you'd do, hi-po small block or moderately built big block?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:25 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

Freddie, the engine isn't original to the car, so there's no intrinsic value of keeping it with my car. I'd love to find the original Z but the chances of that are pretty slim. I'm going to pull the engine over the next couple weeks once I get some house stuff done and will look for that VIN on the side. I'm all for a large displacement small block.
John 10:30
Old 04-11-2018, 02:36 AM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 633 Posts

House stuff. That's very close to me right now. I've got the inside of my house pretty much torn apart right now and the Camaro is sitting in the shop waiting for me to get it ready for SCR21.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 02:48 AM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

I run a 70 LT-1 spec engine in my Z. Standard bore. Factory LT-1 pistons, factory 2.02 heads (186) with no porting, Federal Mogul copy of the 178 camshaft, wide ratio muncie, 4:10 rear gear, frame connectors, traction bars (SSM Lift bars) and 255 60 15 BG Goodrich tires. Didn't even grind the valves or put valve guies in these old used heads, so it smokes a bit.

I can smoke the tires all the way to redline in the first three gears even with SF connectors and traction bars. What would I do with more torque? I have all the pieces here (set up Eric helped me put together) that include RacTec pistons, fully ported heads, port matched high rise, more aggressive cam, etc. I have never put it together because, even though it will probably produce about 100 more hp than what I have, I don't know that I can take advantage of the extra power without figuring out how to get bettter traction.

For a street car, it is plenty fun. If I was willing to put slicks on it and risk carnage, perhaps I could make it "drag strip" faster. I really don't care to to that. Will it keep up with modern high performance cars? Not a chance. No traction control. No way it could keep up with Sherri's CL600 (V12 twin turbo laying down 543 HP and even more torque).

Yes, you can build a first gen Camaro that will run with the CL600, but not cheaply.

My 02 cents: if it isn't going to be a race car, don't build a race car. Without huge rear meats, your not putting much of that torque down anyway. Find a good forged 350 crank, use a good set of heads (if it were me, I would go AFR) and get a good camshaft rec from Eric, small tube headers, and go have some fun.
markinnaples (04-11-2018), VintageMusclecar (04-11-2018)