Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 04-22-2018, 04:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default Special Project for a Special friend (long post)

I agreed to take on a project for a really good buddy who is having some serious health issues. He has maintained this car for a high end client for years, but cannot physically do the “final” project. Prayers are appreciated for Greg. He is like a brother to me. He has raced around the country for years, campaigning two world record holders, and still owns one of them. When he races here in central Oklahoma, I get to go work in the pits with him from time to time. He resurfaces the clutch disc after every run, tests and replaces valve springs as needed after every run, and pulls and inspects all the plugs. In addition, he reads the data from each run to see if carb adjustments are necessary. It is quite a flurry of activity. He has stayed incredibly busy in is “retirement” years. He was building portable chillers for racers all over last year to bring engine temps down after each run. Very innovative guy. It is really hard for him to be sitting on the sidelines. I am sure hoping he recovers fully. He was very supportive of me last year during my bout with prostate cancer. He is always bailing me out on some hair brained project. When I was building the Studebaker truck, I needed the park brake drum machined to fit on the Chevy output shaft. I dropped it off at his place before work one day along with the specs I needed, and he had it ready by lunch. The bill? I had to buy his machinist lunch. He said having me as a friend is like having another kid.

When he asked me if I would do this, I couldn’t say “no”. Even with all the stuff I have going on right now (the non profit work is taking way too much of my time, my daughter just donated a kidney to her husband, and Sherri has me scheduled for more work than I am used to at the office…. she even had me there for more than 8 hours a couple days last week) I knew in my heart I had to do it.

The project: Blue 69 Z/28 (RS if I remember correctly, but having fuzzy memories lately) that the client purchased new. He has had a factory cross ram set up in storage all these years. Still has the original 302 and trans, rear, etc., together with all the parts that were removed when a Bill Mitchell big block (not sure exactly what specs) and 5 speed (not sure what tranny) was installed some years ago. Greg went through the big block for him before installing it, so I know it was built right. Engine and trans have less than 1,000 miles on them. When the 302 was pulled, Greg rebuilt it to blue print specs, broke it in on the dyno, drained the oil and filled it with MM oil, not knowing when the owner would want it back in the car. Well, that day has come. Client has decided to sell this one owner car, and believes he will do better with the original drivetrain in the car and running. Greg called me the other day and told me he really wants this done for his client, and he did not trust anyone other than me to handle it (guess he didn’t see my hack mechanic job on the 11” rear brakes). I really feel honored to be part of this project; bringing a one owner Z back to original condition. I am also honored to help out my friend. I would make a play to buy the car, but doubt I could afford it right now. I remember seeing this car years ago when I stopped by Greg’s place one day. We’ve been buds for 20 plus years, and I don’t remember WHEN it was, but definitely remember the car. It still had the 302 in it at the time, and I remember thinking how pristine it was. When he started talking about a Z/28 project, I immediately asked: The blue one? Sure enough.

We scheduled the work to take place at his shop starting next Fri. evening. It's just about 20 minutes from my house. I am going to try and have it done by Sunday night. I don’t believe the client wants to set up the cross ram. I believe he just wants to keep it in the trunk and run the single four barrel. I am not sure how long the carb has been sitting, so I may take the carb off my Z (Eric built it so you know it was done right and runs great) and use it for initial startup. I will ask to look it over, and perhaps send it to Eric for a build. We will drain the MM oil and put in a good “classic” oil with zinc and a good filter (not a Fram). I also plan to take a five gallon can of 100LL to put in the tank for startup.

Any other tips or advice for things I may have overlooked will be appreciated. I told Greg I would want to take some pics of the project as we go along. Because of the short time frame, don’t expect Charley style pics and video. But, I will try and hit the highlights.

So, what do I get out of the deal? I get to keep the big block, five speed and all the other parts that are coming out. Hmmm.. Anyone know where I can get a deal on a cherry bodied first gen roller?

Last edited by Lynn; 04-22-2018 at 10:32 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
NorCam (04-22-2018), PeteLeathersac (04-22-2018), VintageMusclecar (04-22-2018)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry tag.jpg eaton.cv.jpg car.1.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-22-2018, 06:38 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Seller’s Description:
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
'68 Chevrolet Camaro in red with white racing stripes and black interior. Comes equipped with a 327hp engine with an aultomatic transmission, power steering, updated dash and gauges. Very clean and presentable. Mechanically sound.

For $19,950 USD

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/1965906.html
Old 04-22-2018, 06:42 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Seller’s Description: Check out this Beautiful 1969 Camaro Refinished Rallye Green Base Clear over a solid Straight Body . All glass is Excellent all Trim is Excellent . 4 Brand New white lettered tires on 15 inch Rally Rims. Interior is excellent Door Panels are in wonderful shape Dash is Excellent Headliner and Carpet are Excellent. Engine is a 350 With Nice Cam, 400 Hp+/Power Disc Brakes. Power steering. Trans is a 350T with Shift Kit .This 69 Camaro is Ready to Cruise Or Show A very Beautiful Dependable Machine at a Very Fair Price. PRICED TO SELL CALL US 847-393-7887 x107WE FINANCE/DELIVER
Price: $27,500

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2092314.html
Old 04-22-2018, 01:37 PM

Lee: At first I could not figure out why you posted these to cars for sale. Then I realized I mentioned a cheap cherry body roller. That was pretty much tongue in cheek, as another project is the last thing I need right now.

Last edited by Lynn; 09-17-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:57 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Lynn,

Just a few points that come to mind when switching back from BB to SBC and items you will need to have on hand in order to run it after it's done. Just thinking out loud here in case you maybe missed something in the swap. (in random order)
  • SBC Manifolds and Exhaust w/ Hardware
  • Oil Line Ferrule & Fittings
  • Carb Linkage (if changed)
  • Original SBC Mounts w/ Hardware
  • Radiator w Hoses (if changed)
  • Driveshaft (if different)

Assuming all the stock peripherals were kept with the original motor it all kinda goes without saying, but I always find there's something forgotten in terms of mounting hardware or some little hick up when a given peripheral isn't there and ready to bolt on.

Have fun with your weekend swap and post some pics when you can. I'd love to see this car and if it's ever offered, please post it here as I am sure there are many of us who would like a shot at it if'n it's going to be sold. I'm sure as I type this your PM box is lighting up.

Cheers...G
Old 04-22-2018, 03:59 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Good on you for helping your buddy out.

Oh and yeah...if you end up with a blue RS Z and want to move your black car along...we can discuss that perhaps?

Last edited by NorCam; 04-22-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:40 PM

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

'

Best of luck w/ the project Lynn, your pal certainly has a great friend helping him out!
Sounds like you're doing everything right and hope the original loose parts are all there.

~ Pete

Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Good on you for helping your buddy out.

Oh and yeah...if you end up with a blue RS Z and want to move your black car along...we can discuss that perhaps?
I am afraid my youngest son would "divorce" me if I let the black one go.
NorCam (04-23-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:01 AM

Finally got to see the car tonight. It is not a RS car. Looks fantastic, but the story isn't exactly what I remembered (fuzzy memories). Owner did not buy it new. He had a dusk blue Z in high school and wanted another one. He bought this one, which is a real X33 Z/28 that started life as Fathom Green with 723 Midnight Green interior. Had the color change to Dusk Blue with black standard interior. I have not uncrated the engine or trans yet, so have not seen those in person. Hoping all is well with that. Does have original BU rear dated March, orig. trim tag, original steering box, and what looks to be original master and booster. It even still has two speedo cable clips (not being used with the current Tremec five speed). Looks to have all the correct pulleys, but not exhaust manifolds. Hoping all the correct brackets are in with the engine, along with the correct distributor and carb. Car has a lot going for it, but not something you would want to try and make a 1000 point car.

Has several issues for anyone wanting a true numbers car that would be judged. Four leaf springs were replaced by 5 leaf springs, aftermarket door panels and seat covers. Grill surround was painted correctly, but left the egg crate portion black. Has a ducted hood, but I believe it was added. Looks like an aftermarket air cleaner. Will know when I look at the bottom of the throttle arm tomorrow if it came with a ducted hood. No solenoid or relay, and appears to have an aftermarket flapper.

The paint is nearly flawless. Very few blemishes, and very minor ones. Sorry if I got some hopes up. I really did not post this thread looking for buyers anyway. Just thought it was a cool project. Will take my camera with me tomorrow and take a few shots.

On a sad note, my friend Greg is in the hospital, hoping to find some pain relief. Hoping we can pick up his spirits soon.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:04 AM

Default Engine Out

Got the Bill Mitchell Hardcore engine out.

Took a few pics. Car does not have the original master cyl and booster on it now, but I found them in the parts stash. Also found the original fan clutch. It is in almost mint condition. Still has the correct date coded 772 fan as well.

Attached a pic of the trim tag and couple pics of the car. Like i said, was fathom green originally. Is this Dusk Blue?
Attached Images