Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Default Reproduction Formula 1 Super Stock Tires?

FYI, found this on Facebook. I know I've been waiting for this to happen.....

"Started a conversation with Andrew at Coker about interest in having Formula 1 Super Stock tires reproduced. Got an email right back, asking for specifics and quantity, fitment, etc. I responded "N50-15 and a similar height 60 or 70-15 to put on the fronts. They'll fit what they fit in the 70s which is all we care about. Just give us the tires, make them like they were so we can drive on them as we did, and we'll take care of what they fit." I told him I'd put his name as the contact and he can collect our interest and pass it upwards. Here he is - subject any correspondence FORMULA 1 SUPER STOCK INTEREST.

Andrew Randall, Web Sales
Direct: 800-251-6336
[email protected]

Yes they'd be money and yes they'd be bias ply, so save the kvetching please. This is for folks who would like to see them as repros, and this is how it happens. Email away, folks!

UPDATE 3/7 - Though I do know every email is being seen, they have requested the following format as being most efficient: Name, Address, Phone, Email, Club Affiliation (if applicable), Quantity interested in, Size, Brand/Type, Requirements/Intended service, Vehicle Fitments, and any additional info.
"They can send their inquiries to [email protected]."

So far the people I've emailed/spoken with at Coker have been great. NO guarantees, OF COURSE, this is all just to show THEM we are here and there is interest. There is so much involved in doing this and a number that looks like big interest to them is very different than to us here. But every email is now moving along to Nashville, and this is how things work. Thanks!"

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/569846159073923937/
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 7DD5ED49-32BC-47A8-9A65-B366441BE49B.jpeg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-08-2018, 03:10 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Email sent to Andrew
Old 03-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Awwwwww!
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-09-2018, 12:29 AM

Had them on all my second gen Camaro back in the day, come to think of it there was no such thing as a third gen...BKH
Old 03-09-2018, 02:14 AM

Currently they have N50-15 Pro Trac tires being built..... Might be tough for them to justify 2 different tires of the same size. But, you are on the right track. If you want them, you need to be vocal!!

Rusty Small
Old 03-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Thanked 1,363 Times in 662 Posts

Rusty, are those Pro Tracs bias plys?
John 10:30
Old 03-10-2018, 01:38 AM

Yes the Pro Tracs are bias ply, but it sucks that the wording on the sidewalls differ from the originals and are not done in RWL...they're all black. Same issue on the L60 where they also changed the tread pattern on the 60's. Likely to do with licensing or an effort to avoid paying royalties of some kind?

Below are pics including the newer tread pattern L60's, then the L60 Originals with RWL, then the newer N50 tires with black sidewalls. I wish when they'd repop tires that the companies like Coker would keep the designs and wording the same???

Repro L60 with newer tread pattern and black sidewalls

Original L60 Raised White Letters and Original treads

Repro N50 with original tread pattern and black sidewalls
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Nice comparison pics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
NorCam (03-10-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Yes the Pro Tracs are bias ply, but it sucks that the wording on the sidewalls differ from the originals and are not done in RWL...they're all black. Same issue on the L60 where they also changed the tread pattern on the 60's. Likely to do with licensing or an effort to avoid paying royalties of some kind?

Below are pics including the newer tread pattern L60's, then the L60 Originals with RWL, then the newer N50 tires with black sidewalls. I wish when they'd repop tires that the companies like Coker would keep the designs and wording the same???
When I emailed Coker I told them either do them right or not at all. No half-ass crap. i.e. wrong tread pattern, radials made to look bias, incorrect lettering etc.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:46 PM

To further elaborate on Coker's tread designs, moldings and sidewall lettering I will add:

The biggest issue I see with Coker is when they make tires under a "VINTAGE" brand name they appear to use whatever molds they can get their hands on rather than making the whole series like the originals would have been. Take the Pro Trac 60 series for example. The side wall lettering on the originals said RACING PROFILE ----- PRO TRAC 60 around the tire face. Besides the tread design and carcass being a completely different bias ply design, Coker also changed the lettering on the newer 275/60/15 to STREET PRO ----- PRO TRAC 60 and my best guess on the name change is maybe they didn't get the original mold and had to design their own 60 series tire to have one in a 60 series size?

-
Repro Design (left) versus Original Design (right)

The N50 series is much closer to the original design with the correct "dog bone" tread lock (below left) but they never did offer the repro version with the former raised white letter style (below right) which kinda misses the mark does it not? At least on the 50 they appeared to have used the original molds.

-

They also offer a 445/15 fatty they call the Pro Trac S/C 515 and while it bears the Pro Trac name, the tread pattern looks more like a BFG and is again completely different from the tread patterns of the original Pro Tracs. I guess it's all about slapping the words Pro Trac on a sidewall and calling it a vintage tire? Yuck!!!