Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > In Memoriam

Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy
Default Re: Larry Clain B/Motion collector dies/cars STOL

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like November 10th is the date for auction.
Link: http://www.mredsauction.com/auction_....php?ID=372267

[/ QUOTE ]

Have another look at this.. Photos have been posted on the site.

I hope to see some of this stuff make it into the hands of Larry's friends on this site.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

A little more info on the cars that I know about.. The 65 Corvette I believe Larry said was the 11th car built and 1st one with disc brakes. (don't take this as gospel btw, I'm going from memory here)..

The 69 Camaro they list as a Z28 I'm pretty sure is not a Z28. It has a built 350 in it 4spd. I think it has a 12 bolt with 4.10s.. but may be a 10 bolt. I can't remember. Has a metal cowl hood. RS grill but was not orginally an RS car. Pretty much needs completly restored. Larry said it ran very strong.

The 91 Lexus was Larrys driver and was in pretty nice shape.

The 72 and 73 Stingrays were two of the cars we moved around a few times getting the Motion cars out and when Larry switched storage facilities. Both cars need the fiberglass refinished.. and pretty much restored.. Most All the cars have been sitting a long time.

The 82 GMC Flatbed truck runs and drives. It's yellow. 350 4spd with the granny low. Dually

The 79 Chevy 4dr dually has a 454 /automatic in it but wasn't running. It sat for a long time as well.

The 78 Z28 is wrecked. There are a couple threads in the "for sale" section where Larry was trying to sell that one with pics posted.

I guess the list of parts speaks for itself.

Btw, I'm not involved in this auction. And I only learned of it myself this morning when Rick P. posted the link. Just trying to help out with what I know about some of the cars. I hope to see some of you guys there. Hopefully I can get lucky and come home with something to hang on to.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:20 AM

Is anybody going?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:13 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

How did the auction go?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:30 PM

I've just been told about this thread and Larry Clain's sad death last year. It's awful that his cars haven't been recovered but I may be able to help with efforts to find one of them, the Lola T400/Frissbee. I run OldRacingcars.com and we have a page dedicated to the Lola T400 (http://www.oldracingcars.com/f5000/lola/t400.htm). This page comes out top of any Google search so if this car is offered, chances are that any potential buyer will read my page before they buy. Larry's car is the only one which hasn't been located so there is no chance of anyone being able to bring this car to the market without raising suspicions. I was about to alter the page to state that the car was stolen but then had a second thought - should we be more cunning about what is put on the page in an effort to flush the car out? If whoever has it realises that he has no chance of selling it, it may well be parted out instead and then we'll never find it.

I am open to suggestions. Maybe email is best: allen[at]oldracingcars.com. Maybe the mods can delete this post once I've made contact with the appropriate people to take this forward.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:48 PM

test
2002 ZO6 Corvette
Old 12-15-2007, 11:12 PM

I went to two auctions of Larry's stuff.

The first had the remaining (not missing) cars, lots of parts and a lot of stuff from his business.

The cars all sold high. The 65 Corvette, given condition was worth about $20K, it bid to $28.5. The old Camaro was the best deal at about $5K. The C3 Corvettes were all in poor condition and sold for more than they were worth. The 69 Nova sold for $12.5K.

Some of the parts brought a good price but some went cheap. Not everyone knew what they were looking at. There was only one Rochester FI there, a hybrid, 65 plenum with 63 air and fuel meters and a 63 distributor. Larry had more Rochester FI units but they were missing.

There were body parts from the frisbee but no car.

I knew Larry since about 1963. Larry had no wife, no children and no will. The courts, lawyers and auction company got most of the proceeds of the sale. The auction company charged $50/day each for storage of the cars for over a year. Only the 65 Corvette brought more than the storage charges. The little left over from the sale will go to an aunt and some cousins.

Let that be a lesson to all. Make preparations for your estate to make sure it goes where you want!

Verle
Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 AM

Thanked 5,356 Times in 1,880 Posts

Thanks for the update Verle...I miss Larry. He was a kind hearted guy.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The courts, lawyers and auction company got most of the proceeds of the sale. The auction company charged $50/day each for storage of the cars for over a year. Only the 65 Corvette brought more than the storage charges. The little left over from the sale will go to an aunt and some cousins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Sad day.
Hope the others cars show up.......
Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 AM

Knowing Larry my entire life he was very particular about who he let know what toys he had and especially particular and cautious with who he let into the shop! the cars, trailer etc. could only have been stolen by someone that Larry knew and trusted, someone with knowledge of the layout of the shop etc. what a shame! I'm trying to attach 3 pics of Larry racing the 69 vette at Hallet, we parked the car soon after this race and moved on to the J2000 that he only raced a few times before hanging up his helmet. Rest in Peace!!!
2002 ZO6 Corvette