Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-29-2017, 11:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 8 Track Woes

Are there any 8 track tape aficionados out there???

Got an issue with my NOS aftermarket 8 track player I installed in my Impala.. Seems to want to break the 8 track tape when the tape gets to the end... The player itself works fine.

Any thoughts or ideas on what could be occurring or how to fix it???

Thanks Rich
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-29-2017, 11:55 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/FAQ.html

http://www.8trackheaven.com/archive/repair.html

http://www.8trackavenue.com/player-t...nd-repair.html

Maybe these links can help you out.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 AM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

I am.Have over 300 tapes and 30 various players,from portables to stand alone floor stereos.Could be wound too tight..
Is it changing tracks OK?..might be your foil splice is weak or crumpled.
A properly tuned tape is just as important,if not more,then a player.
Have you ever opened the 8tk tape up?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:42 AM

I would say it is the tapes, not the player. An eight track is one long tape, with the two ends spliced together. 8 tracks had a tendency to wind too tight, causing them to drag, and/or come apart. Back in the day they actually made a repair kit, which included the tape to re-splice the ends together.

The case is made up of two halves, held together with a small screw, usually in the center, under the label. You can split the case and repair it. The tricky part is an 8 track is unique in that it unwinds from the center and winds around the outer edge. This is why they rewind too tight.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 AM

Me too!

Agree with mr70, Sounds like tightness in the tape or the foil is sticking some layers together instead of sliding. No other way unless you open the cart up and see what is happening inside.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:22 AM

Very few tapes were held together with screws back then.and even less than them,some used glue.
The majority of those 8tk cases are held tight with plastic locating tabs.A simple small screw driver can release one in seconds.
I've homemade an assortment of tools to open any case,cut splice & rewind a tape too.
The biggest problem with any poor sounding 8tk tape,is the diameter of the rubber pinch roller inside.The bigger it is,the more "bulletproof" it is and the better longevity of it's sound and function.The 8tk tapes with the Big meaty pinch rollers were mainly used on the more expensive tapes.
Back then those tapes were Barbara Streisand,The Carpenters,and Orchestral tapes etc.,as their older audience would shell out the taller price tag for em.
The Rock & Roll tapes were aimed at the younger generation who wouldn't pay as much as those better quality tapes.So they mainly got a cheaper less quality case & pinch roller.
Today I buy every boring Barbara Streisand & orchestral 8tk tape I see,then come home and put a Ledd Zepplin,Bob Seger or AC/DC tape in them.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:58 AM

Mr70, interesting idea swapping tapes, but how do you deal with swapping the labels? Some of those labels will NOT come off without destroying everything! I have a bunch of easy listening tapes for spare parts, will have to pay more attention to the rollers. thx
Old 05-30-2017, 11:40 AM

You're right,but some of those crisp labels will nearly flake off in one piece,do to their age.You can then re-glue them onto the new case.Others shread off,so on those I've learned to spot them early,then I scan them over with my printer and make an identical copy & re-apply.
I only reprint em B&W & just do this for me and not trying to deceive anyone,plus an un-trained eye can spot it in seconds.
Also,some of the the colors of the plastic 8tk tape cases are really bold & flamboyant too,as opposed to the more common mundane black or white.Because of this,I collect as many interesting brilliant 8tk cartridge colors as I can,then re-label & re-tape.In some cases,it can really add to the sound.
Here's one of my examples of a Led Zeppelin tape,that found new life in a Barbara Streisand case.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr70; 05-30-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. I figured it was the tapes because the player is new.

Rich
Old 05-31-2017, 02:55 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
You're right,but some of those crisp labels will nearly flake off in one piece,do to their age.You can then re-glue them onto the new case.Others shread off,so on those I've learned to spot them early,then I scan them over with my printer and make an identical copy & re-apply.
I only reprint em B&W & just do this for me and not trying to deceive anyone,plus an un-trained eye can spot it in seconds.
Also,some of the the colors of the plastic 8tk tape cases are really bold & flamboyant too,as opposed to the more common mundane black or white.Because of this,I collect as many interesting brilliant 8tk cartridge colors as I can,then re-label & re-tape.In some cases,it can really add to the sound.
Here's one of my examples of a Led Zeppelin tape,that found new life in a Barbara Streisand case.
Love the top Barbara has on!Huba-huba!!