Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 PM

Default Missing 1970 Yenko Duece

I'm the original owner of a 1970 Sunflower Yellow Yenko Duece that I purchase from Scuncio Chev in late 1970. I don't see it listed in the VIN listing here at the site. Is there any way to determine if it's still around? It was the LT-1 fully striped 4 speed model with the hood mounted tach. It's possible Scuncio had to bring it in from another dealership because I remember I didn't want the Green automatic that was on the lot so I had to wait a week to get it. still, I would have thought it would show as a Scuncio sale. I have a couple pictures that I can add to the posting.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Missing 1970 Yenko Duece

...Looks like Marlin's car.... He will chime in and maybe be able to help you out

.... If anyone knows where there is a Yenko Deuce.... it's Marlin. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]

Welcome to the site [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2012, 01:00 AM

That even looks like M. Did he used to smoke?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That even looks like M. Did he used to smoke? </div></div>

Probably, but not cigaretts.
There are a couple that aren't on the list. I'm assuming that you sold it, and lost track of were it went?

I'm an original owner SFY deuce also. Still have it. If you trust me enough to shoot me the VIN number, I might be able to see if it's still out there. If it's been off the registration list for a few years we won't be able to pull it up, but you never know.

Schonye
Old 08-18-2012, 02:07 AM

Hi Don,

Welcome to the site and thanks for inquiring about your Deuce - especially for posting pics! I suspect that your car might actually be Gobi Beige, which is typically considered 'yellow'. The Sunflower Yellow color was quite bright, so if your Deuce was indeed a super bright yellow then perhaps the pics are deceiving me (or I'm getting old!).

I'm on my iPhone at the moment, but will check my records to see if any Sun Yellow or Gobi Beige Deuces came out of Scuncio, it was not that uncommon for Deuces to be dealer transferred if a customer desired a certain color or option group.

With only 10 SY Deuces produced, it would be pretty rare - even within the 175 Deuces produced. I don't recall Scuncio selling any SY Deuces, but am pretty sure they sold a Gobi car or two - there were 25 of them produced. There was a particular Gobi Deuce that was from either Scuncio or Austin (CT) that ended up in Johnson City, TN, I'll have to check my notes.

BTW, that Forest Green Deuce was an A/T w/ p/s car that was still owned by the original owner up till several years ago when I heard he passed away, great guy named Felix! That car, the blue one, a silver one, and the engine from a red one al exist today.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I think you're probably right about the color...it wasn't an extreamly bright yellow, more of a pastel yellow. I had to sell it right after I got married ( the bottom picture). The wife complained that it rode like a stagecoach. I was transfered to Charleston, SC in '71 and that's where I had to part with the car of my dreams...either that or the girl of my dreams.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:27 PM

Ok, car was definitely Gobi Beige, commonly mistaken for 'butternut yellow' as this beige does indeed look like a soft yellow unless parked next to a yellow car - then it looks tan. Sorry to hear that it had to go [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img] did you sell it while in SC?

Did the car have power steering? Any other pics?

BTW, I never smoked cig's - only tires! And, I was only 2 years old in '70 [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 PM

No pwr steering and yes, I sold it in Charleston, SC. The color looks very much like the one shown in your avatar. I'll have to look throgh my wedding pics to see if I have any other photos...back in the 70's digital pictures didn't exist ) The only changes I made to the car was to upgrade the tires (couldn't keep the OEM back tires from chirping when I made a hard right turn), add Hooker Headers (big in the 70's) and installing a electronic ignition.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:44 PM

Very nice recollections Don! It is quite difficult to keep the tires under these Deuces!

I'm not surprised that your car did not have p/s as only 2 of the 17 four speed Gobi Deuces had the p/s option. Here's how your car fits into the puzzle; there were 175 Deuces produced in '70 in two distinct production runs - but in 3 consecutive weeks of 05D, 06A, and 06B (4th week of May and first 2 weeks of June). The first order of 125 cars contained 5 colors, 25 each of Silver, Beige, Green, Blue and Red - each color consisting of 15 four speeds, 2 four speeds w/ p/s, 4 autos, and 4 autos w/ p/s. The second order of 50 cars did not contain any Beige cars.

All 175 cars were monitored by Donna Mae Mims at Yenko via 'New Car Inventory' sheets, and there are 10 of these sheets - but we have only found 6 of them (which is why we don't have all of the vins on the site). So, your car is one of 175 produced, one of 25 in Gobi Beige (which is a cool color no matter what people say [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] ), and one of 15 in Beige w/out p/s. Your car was built in the 4th week of May, and is most likely on Inventory Sheet 2 - which we don't have, [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img] Of the 15 Beige Deuces like yours, 2 of them are on sheet 1 which we do have and those 2 cars were sold from Colonial in Norfolk, VA and Nankivell in Indy, IN. Thus, 13 of them are on sheet 2 - presumably including your car, unless Scuncio got it from Colonial - which is quite possible since Colonial had a surplus of Deuces!

Do you remember what month you bought it?

How did you find out about them?

How much did you pay for it (did they discount it at all)?

Why did you pick the Gobi Beige over the Forest Green? The Forest Green was a very desirable color, and is the highest percentage color found as of today. I find your choice interesting, as my original owner made the same choice when he walked into Nankivell

Do you remember who you sold it to - ie; a military person, street racer, drag racer?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 PM

It would have to have been in the Spring of 1971 based on my at sea schedule. A friend of mine, Bill Fyvie to told me about Scuncio. Bill had a pretty hot '68 &quot;Skunk&quot; Camero...Black with the wide white stripe down the back. No recollection of what I paid for it back then. I know I traded a burnt orange '70 corvette in against it. Loved the Vette, but a drunk had run into the back of it and it never did feel right after the local Chevy Dealer (Butler Chev) in New London repaired it. I sold it at the &quot;request&quot; of my new wife because she didn't like the rough ride...it was pretty stiff, but then it was supposed to be that way. Anyway, I sold it to a kid probably about 25 years old...don't think he was a racer, but in South Carolina, guys know a great car when they hear it. I chose the color mostly because it was the color Scuncio said they could get the quickest. Since I was only in port for 90 days at a time (Submarine Service) I jumped on it. The car was sold in Charleston, SC during the Fall of 1972. The only otheer picturre I could find was another one of the wife and me on our wedding day. There is no flawin the rt fender...photo defect.