Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,077 Times in 1,321 Posts
Default Bridgehampton Poster

The local car club, Peconic Region AACA, that I'm a member in, has an indoor swapmeet late February every year. I was looking around for memorabilia and all I found was a reproduction poster which I bought. The poster is the Can-Am Challenge at Bridgehampton Raceway Sept 13 & 14 1969. As I was carrying the poster a member who lives in Bridgehampton said "if you want an original poster I'll give you one at the next club meeting". Well true to his word, last Thursday he walked into the meeting and handed me this poster. He certainly put a smile on my face. BTW he worked at the raceway as a teenager and has many interesting stories...
Attached Images

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com

Last edited by Steve Shauger; 04-23-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Bridgehampton Can -AM Race Sept 13 &14 1969 resized.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

'

Way cool Steve!
As you probably know, the posters and programs usually pictured cars from the previous year's events as your '69 poster w/ '68 season cars ...Denny Hulme's #5 McLaren overtaking Jim Hall's #66 Chaparral w/ Bruce McLaren #4 followed by what appears to be Mark Donahue in the #6 Penske McLaren.

~ Pete

Old 04-28-2017, 01:25 AM

Steve can probably elaborate more on it. The closing of Bridgehampton was an absolute travesty many years ago, and still hurts to this day. So much history there. Rumor has it though, that Suffolk County legislature is now vetting sites for a new Dragstrip. Hope it actually happens in my lifetime
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Thanks for sharing Steve!

The original grounds of the Bridgehampton Race Circuit have been preserved and is now one of the most exclusive golf clubs in the country. I have a dear friend who belongs and he invited Dave and I to support the first ever car show on the grounds. Appropriately called "The Bridge" show. The original Chevron sign and hill climb approaching the summit of the track exists. I regard The Bridge as one of the most beautiful spots in the Hamptons. Being said, if you could ever ask for a better preservation, I'd be hard pressed to think of it. The Hamptons have gotten so exclusive in the last 20-30 years that it is no surprise the race track closed. I did hear similar things about a drag strip in Suffolk county and hope it goes through.

Dan

Old 04-28-2017, 03:51 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Suffolk Cty is definitely looking into at least a Drag Dtrip and possibly a Motor Sports Park:

http://abc7ny.com/news/suffolk-count...strip/1742561/
Old 05-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Echoing the remarks of Dan. IMO, the exclusivity of the Hamptons would welcome a road course with open arms, the wealthy are still VERY into race cars, the local Porsche shops are overflowing with race cars that all must leave LI to be used. Most of these individuals are people of means as the budgets to run/maintain them are high. Golf has been flat to declining in recent years and is struggling to find new young players and are competing fiercely to get the player who can pay the vig, and spare the time. Even the private clubs are struggling a bit. Hopefully a new track comes to fruition!
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa