Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM

Default Choosing a first car, daily driver, for my son

So the time is almost here for Zach to get his learners permit, 3 weeks to go. I am starting to look at options for his daily driver. We just moved so there is now 2 lane county highways to consider for him to get to school. Snow, drifting and ice has made me decide something 4wd is a necessity. I would love to find a clean 2dr Tahoe or Yukon, ZR2 S10 or Sonoma or a Silverado / Sierra. Ive been all over Craigslist and there is no shortage of vehicles in the sub 5k range. Anyone have opinions, advice to offer up? I'm not afraid of something in the 100k mile area if it has been taken care of. Rust is my biggest enemy here so I have accepted that I will have to travel to get anything.

If this is rust free I would be all over it but I haven't called yet plus getting an inspection is a new hurdle I have never had to tackle. It is a nice exams of what I'm thinking though.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/6073739721.html
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

I bought a 2000 ZR2 S10 back in 2007 with right at 120K on the odo. I now have over 250K on it and have replaced the fuel pump 3 times, radiator, ignition coil, plugs, wires, ignition module, clutch fan, upper radiator hose, heater core, blower motor, idler arm, high pressure switch on the compressor and 2.5 sets of tires. They are great trucks. Mine leaks more oil than it uses but it does not smoke a bit (about a quart every oil change roughly 4-5K between changes). Oil pressure is rock solid at 35-40psi at idle in drive with 20w-50 oil with Lucas oil additive. Granted most of my miles are interstate @ 75-80mph as it is my daily driver. It is going to need a trans rebuild and most likely an engine rebuild at some point but I am driving it till the wheels fall off.
As far as the body it has rust in the pass lower cab corner and the drivers rocker. Underside stays pretty lubed from the leaks. I would not hesitate on buying that truck even if it had a little rust as long as the mechanical checks out. Biggest thing you will most likely have to replace are the front suspension parts as the 4wd puts a hurting on the steering components. Mine was rebuilt before I bought it.

Good luck

PM me if you have any other questions on these trucks and Ill try to help.

Last edited by cook_dw; 04-18-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 PM

I spoke with the seller, he is a flipper. He couldn't answer many questions on it and never sent additional pictures I requested. Definitely passing on that one.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

My wife had a 2000 GMC Yukon with the 5.3. Dealer trade was low, so I kept it. They are at the bottom of their price point and are great cars- though not as thrilling to drive as something smaller or lighter.

Here is my vote- and I know these cars to be extremely reliable with low cost of ownership. Has awd, manual trans, air-bags for safety, turbo for fun, 4 entry points and full-size car mass, and the 2.2 liters gets great mileage, this one say no rust! The UrS carS have a niche market and enthusiast group- you could part this car and be ahead- which is a nice "plan b" option for a young driver.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6092842916.html
Old 04-20-2017, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, I honestly have zero knowledge or exposure to that market. He wants a truck so that is how we started down that path. At least he can haul his own parts for his Nova. Hopefully we get the new shop up this summer and he can finally start working on his car. It's been 4 years!

On a strange stroke of luck I was talking to a grandpa at my youngest sons school today while we waited for kids to get out. He has a CLEAN Ranger ext cab, 4x4. I commented about the truck search and he replies that he has a twin except in blue that he is considering selling. No rust, just over 100k, V6 / auto. He said $3000 would buy it. I told him if it is as nice as he says I'd come get it this weekend. Crossing my fingers.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:20 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Wish you well on the Ranger. Shame you won'the get a chance to test drive the Audi.

https://youtu.be/cnd-lcPwQTo