Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 AM

Default RESTAMPS R US...come get your restamped parts

Anyone see this yet?

http://www.yenkocamaroparts.com/

Copied/pasted from their "information" page:

We decided to go with an alternative to help with restoration projects called restamping. This has helped many to finish projects that would other wise took years to finish. We do not try to fool anyone with our work, but some look so close that we have been asked if we are sure they are restamped.

Wow....just....wow...that takes some brass...

(link courtesy of a thread on camaros.net)

Eric
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: RESTAMPS R US...come get your restamped parts

Perhaps those who hold the copyright to the Yenko name can lean on them. It wouldn't take years to finish their projects. It would take a lot of money. This is the cheap way out. I wouldn't trust anyone not to use one of these restamped parts though. You'd be surprised what people will do on the sly, then again you've probably seen what people try to do.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...You'd be surprised what people will do on the sly, then again you've probably seen what people try to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah...I've seen things allright.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:38 AM

D!c#4e^ds! can we say that? Criminals - future convicts

I wouldn't buy anything from any website that has no phone or street address.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 PM

It seems that they are "wilma99" on ebay and looks to me to be in Tennessee.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

In an attempt to play the Devil's advocate, does anyone use reproduction tires on your restorations? Originals are available although usually more expensive. Do you always apply laquer paint, because it to is available? How about original poor quality chrome valve covers instead of the gorgeous reproductions? And is the Tonawanda decal the original or a reproduction.

I bought my carb from Eric and my completely original smog system from Bill Hodel. My distributor came from Jeff Dotterer and I have original valve stems and caps and am looking for NOS original tires. I am trying my best to keep things original. On my Corvette I even found original braided and correctly dated spark plug wires.

882 and 884 alternators in the Corvette community are getting darned near impossible to find. John Pirkle almost never sees them anymore. I am very fortunate he is restoring my original now. If you do find one, oh boy, get ready to spend some more than serious money. If someone did put a restamp 884 on a restoration, would they be trying something that is unforgiveable (on the sly, I believe it was)? I believe the day is approaching when a reproduction on some of these items will be the only alternative for some if they want 'matching numbers.' I believe that some folks may simply not have the expendable income to fork it over even if they do find a rare item. Should they absolutely not be allowed in the hobby?

I hear what you folks are saying and as a NCRS and Bloomington Gold judge, I have to stay on my toes to be able to detect these items. I don't, however, think it is heresy for some to use them. At NCRS and BG, we judge the item based on how it appears in comparison to original. If it is undetectable, it gets full credit. If it is detectable then a point deduction is made.

I do admire and appreciate seeing original parts. I don't believe those that may use reproductions such as tires, alternaters, valve covers, etc. should be banished for unacceptable behavior.

Regards,

Mark
All numbers match...something
New carpet and headliner
New AC system, blows cold in the winter
It ain't for sale so, don't ask
Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 PM

Never mind that you hardly ever come across some of the original parts, how about whole cars. In the whole of Southern Ontario I know of only a couple COPO Chevelles on the road, and one slow poke who needs go get his behind in gear. There are a couple of Camaros and at least one is a clone. Using restamped parts is the only way to get a half correct car on the road any more. A built clone around here is about as close as most people are going to get to seeing the real thing. I don't mind a well done clone. Many are poorly done, and the good ones are just liable to end up on the market claiming to be the real deal some time down the road. I guess you just do what you feel comfortable with. There is a nice dark green ZL1 clone that comes to the Haugen's cruise night once in a while. Nice car that sure makes me envious.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Thanked 1,674 Times in 500 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that they are "wilma99" on ebay and looks to me to be in Tennessee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just in case you were wondering...no relation to the real wilmasboy.....I've never been restamped!!

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 PM

Never been restamped....how about remanufactured?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 AM

While I understand the "need" for these parts in some circumstances, the unfortunate (and inevitable) result of these re-stamped parts going into circulation is that somewhere, sometime, someone is going to get taken to the cleaners buying something they thought was an original component.

This is the exact reason why I personally <u>absolutely refuse</u> to get anywhere near a restamped carb (or any other component for that matter) if/when I know it to be as such.

As I stated on my website in regards to restamped carbs:

"I have been asked many times if I will re-stamp a carburetor ID or date code, or if I can provide a re-stamped carburetor.

In no uncertain terms, the answer is NO!

I take extreme issue with the current crop of unscrupulous sellers who are passing off service replacement carbs that have either had their ID's ground off and re-stamped as an original dated carb, or those who add bogus date stamps to new re-issued carbs and again try to pass them off as originals. A certain very popular internet auction website is RIFE with examples.

(For what it's worth, there are numerous differences between many of these replacement carbs and the originals, and a trained eye can usually spot one of these replacement carbs fairly easily)

If YOU want to buy a new service replacement carb and have a date code stamped into it, that's fine, but don't ask me to do it.

Why not?

Some will argue "well, it's for my car, and as long as I own it I'll never try to pass it off as an original carb." That's all fine &amp; dandy, but what happens if/when the car is sold? Are the consecutive owners going to be as "honest" about these bogus components? Not likely. Then later on down the road someone finds out "I" sold someone a re-stamped carburetor and my reputation and credibility immediately go down the drain."
(emphasis added)

If it were a perfect world where everyone could be trusted to buy a restamped part, install it on their car and NOT try to slip it under the buyers nose when the car is sold, I wouldn't care less about the matter...but we don't live in a perfect world, and unsuspecting buyers are getting hosed on bogus parts every day. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but that seriously pisses me off. I can't stand seeing people getting screwed over like that.

I guess I'm too "old-fashioned" for my own good in today's business world.

Eric