Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM

Default Liberty gearbox circa mid 70's??

<span style="color: #3333FF">Guys,

If I may, I'm trying to find information/photos of a Liberty Transmission, which would have been used by drag racers back in the 70's??
Were they similar in any way to a GM M21 or M22? Or totally a different dog? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
I have searched without luck online, and I'm not close enough to any shops that might service this kind of thing. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
Any help will be truly appreciated. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Greg </span>
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 42367.jpg 42366.jpg 42365.jpg 42363.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Liberty gearbox circa mid 70's??

I am thinking pro stock might run them now?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billohio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking pro stock might run them now? </div></div>
<span style="color: #3333FF">Thanks Bill. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, I guess I could have been more specific hey. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/blush.gif[/img]
I'm kinda familiar with these later style boxes as used today in Pro Stock.
(<span style="font-style: italic">Photo borrowed from the net...</span>)

The box I am interested in though, would possibly have had very similar dimensions as an M21-22 GM box?
Reason I assume this is that the car I've seen (it's quite rare) appears to have an unmodified tunnel? The shifter (Hurst) is also mounted to the extreme left, or driver side to you guys over there. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
I'm not real familiar with how these &quot;clutchless&quot; boxes worked, something along the lines of a semi-automatic from what I've read.
This car ran a scattershield as well, would this have held the clutch(less) pack?

Many thanks guys
Greg </span>
Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 PM

http://www.nhra.com/userfiles/file/n...8/RC_Trans.pdf

When I hear Liberty, I seem to recall some reworked Chrysler boxes. The link above doesn't really help but may clear up options based on timeline.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:04 AM

OK.
some better clarification on Your use and specific year(s) ?
Class racing ?
Pro Stock?
M/P
SS or Stock / Modified Stock.?

Liberty's ....Doug Nash.....internals inside Muncie cases.....
inside B-W cases.....
Nob Factory aluminum/cast iron cases
Then.. ....
Lenco.

sounds complicated, but each year from 1970 onto 71-72-73-74-75-76
brought fast advancing technology, parts, interchanges and the next best thing.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:08 AM

My father raced gas class in the early 70's and ran a super T10 with what my father referred to as liberty pro gears and an M21 with Liberty pro gears. He sent the M21 gears to liberty where they modified the stock gears and sent them back (my understanding from what he told me). I still have the M21 but took it apart a few years ago to get rid of the liberty gears.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blue69BMVette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #3333FF">Guys,

If I may, I'm trying to find information/photos of a Liberty Transmission, which would have been used by drag racers back in the 70's??
Were they similar in any way to a GM M21 or M22? Or totally a different dog? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
I have searched without luck online, and I'm not close enough to any shops that might service this kind of thing. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
Any help will be truly appreciated. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Greg </span> </div></div>

Greg,
In my 69 Camaro Day 2 Street -n- Strip period car, Circa 1970-74 ,
I'm running a DOUG NASH Pro Shifted (Crash Box) M22 gear set, 2:52 in a Stock Muncie aluminum case , Hurst Competition Plus non Super Shifter Mount/rods.
Sounds like as if this is where your inquiry is aimed at. A non fabricated ,altered trans tunnel application.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:32 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rafbody</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father raced gas class in the early 70's and ran a super T10 with what my father referred to as liberty pro gears and an M21 with Liberty pro gears. He sent the M21 gears to liberty where they modified the stock gears and sent them back (my understanding from what he told me). I still have the M21 but took it apart a few years ago to get rid of the
liberty gears.</div></div>

In a scenario like you described it sounds like the Hubs (Sliders) were modified, not the gears themselves.
Every other hub tooth was machined off, and the brass rings removed, some had there gears &quot;hardened&quot; but those the 'first attempts' for durability. Until the High Nickel Clusters &amp; gear sets were developed.
The early 70's did bring in Liberty &amp; Doug Nash Custom High Nickel gear sets (Manufactured for those particular companies by another Gear Company)
Old 12-07-2014, 12:36 AM

i had a K-rod sbc with &quot;Rons porting&quot; heads on it that was built for racing...it had a liberty geared saginaw 4 speed and 2 liberty geared t-10s all period correct...i bought them as a package from a drag race guy from the St Louis area..

there was a time those junk little saginaw 4 speeds where built up and unbreakable..when they started catching on..aftermarket trans like doug nash and lenco etc obsoleted them pretty quick

even in the early 80s saginaws worked over by liberty where bragged on alot

they also modified the Hemi boxes and the 428 CJ top loaders to work behind SBCs..there was a lot of that stuff in St Louis when i was a kid..

i may know of a liberty geared t-10 in the STL area if the guy still has his body shop open..you can PM me and ill give you his business info
Old 12-07-2014, 12:43 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marxjunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a K-rod sbc with &quot;Rons porting&quot; heads on it that was built for racing...it had a liberty geared saginaw 4 speed and 2 liberty geared t-10s all period correct...i bought them as a package from a drag race guy from the St Louis area..

there was a time those junk little saginaw 4 speeds where built up and unbreakable..when they started catching on..aftermarket trans like doug nash and lenco etc obsoleted them pretty quick

even in the early 80s saginaws worked over by liberty where bragged on alot

*******Mark, the use of the Cast iron/ Nodular case was a big deal then &amp; Still is in Street stock oval racing even today (in 3 speed &amp; 4 speed applications)

they also modified the Hemi boxes and the 428 CJ top loaders to work behind SBCs..there was a lot of that stuff in St Louis when i was a kid..

i may know of a liberty geared t-10 in the STL area if the guy still has his body shop open..you can PM me and ill give you his business info</div></div>