Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 AM

Default 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS L79 New Price Sold

1965 Chevelle Malibu SS L79 survivor paint car with original engine CE replacement & original intake with factory Holley carb and parts completely rebuilt by Boyds Automotive, original trans 4 speed and rear, all new interior and a lot of new old stock chrome. Car runs like new and you close doors and trunk shut like brand new. No text messages call me. Have original order form, shipper copy and registrations and brother who owned it since 1972 and his brother bought it brand new in 1965. Brother is still alive and will talk to you about the car. Pictures of when car came back from getting all done. Car had 1/2 quarters put on in the 70's and it has a original spare in trunk never on the ground and has jack. Car has 80,177 original miles and have most of all the registrations and license plate from 1972 and others. Have more pictures I can send. $33,500 518-733-0837 [email protected]

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Default Re: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS L79

Great Car but I have to ask the question I guess, how can it be "survivor paint" car and have had half quarters done in the past. Was the car painted in the past and wouldn't that preclude it from being "survivor" paint??
Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM

The car was painted by 2nd owner when car was put quarters on with lacquer in 1969 so that is survivor paint from then.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:09 PM

I put this car back together for Barry. The car was repainted and has been painted before so I guess its not a true survivor with original paint but from Barrys research it was painted 1969 I guess. This car was sitting for 25+ years in a garage most likely not even covered up. To have the paint buff out to what you see here is amazing in my eyes. The car has a drag racing history and most likely the wheel wells were cut out for some bigger tires. Then it was repaired with half quarters for some reason. This car is super solid. Who ever did the quarters did a good job. When you look at the side of the car it's like glass. The car is black and if any imperfection was there it would standout. Anyone who has any questions on what was done to the car feel free to PM me and I will give you my contact number.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

We now have a new definition to digest "Survivor Paint".

Looks like a Kool Car,
Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM

It is a nice car and I can appreciate the car but isn't survivor a designate for the overall originality of the car, drivetrain, body, paint....as built....it becomes a bit "gray" when you designate something that infers original but is not. I know the intent was not to represent the paint as "factory" but by saying "survivor", are you not inferring the same thing.
I guess it just gets to be hard to navigate when people start developing their own language rather than saying one repaint in 1969....just my two cents, not looking to stir the pot, just putting it out there.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 PM

Thanked 2,027 Times in 513 Posts

While I agree that survivor is a term that should be protected and used properly, its not unreasonable for this seller to try and describe an impressive "surviving" 46 year old black repaint. That speaks volumes about the previous bodywork and the safe and dry storage it has had. The "1/2 quarters" statement showed there's no deception involved and there was just a bit of clarification in order. GLWS
Old 07-31-2015, 10:15 AM

I have talked to both owners of Munsen Chevrolet that was in Story City Iowa and they are still alive and will talk to you.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Survivor is used differently today than when it first appeared 10-15 years ago.....as always the description has evolved in perception of those individuals using the term "loosely" or "tight"

A survivor then meant an unmolested, unrestored mostly original car in very good over all condition.

A repaint 46 years ago on a 50 year old car regardless of rust or damage and has since been "reconditioned" /detailed / maintained or just stored . ... until recently is A survivor ....

Most of our cars....all membership cars included,,,,, have been aged, rusted, raced, wrecked, used, abused, butchered in one way or another !
Restored......all that stuff is gone or covered over or totally replaced.

A Surviving car means just that.....it has survived weather conditions and the debatchery of the owners.

A judging guide has been developed in recent years to determine a % (percentage) of what has survived from new. Originality of Existing Paint,Chrome,trim,interior upholstery, paint, carpet,trim, Glass, anodized pieces,engine,drive train, undercarriage, engine and trunk compartment, tires, wheels ,battery & serviced wear n tear items.........all on a percentage/ point basis.

In MY book , this SS Malibu is a surviving car ......to what point and percentage level is yet yo be determined.

If this WAS YOUR CAR.... ! ? !
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE IT ?.
ADVERTISE IT ?
STATE IN DETAIL the Actual Factual Conditions... and History ?

I like this car a lot....I talked with Barry a few times about it being available to buy.......
And values...... yes, some grey areas, yet facts and history . And past owners availability are all good buying & selling points.

Have the Car Judged or Looked at by someone that adheres to Survivor Guidelines and We All Win !!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 AM

New price $34,500