Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 11-21-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Unique Shelby Convertible for sale

Les,

I have been out of town and unable to respond until now.
I think there is both confusion and some mis-information about my car.

First, while the VIN number is the one Mr. Quam mentions, my car was never sold at Russo-Steele.
Second, my car has its original, matching numbers engine. The VIN is on the block, drivers side, just below the head on a rough cast surface.
Third, I also had heard rumors that parts had been removed, but that too is not true. I believe what happened is that Worldwide Musclecars owned my 69 Shelby and a record setting 66 Shelby. It is a fact that there were parts removed from the 66 Shelby before Worlwide picked it up. I would venture that the rumor of parts being removed is a mix up between these two cars. I would also have to wonder what parts one would remove from a 69 Shelby? My tires are still 69 tires, I would have to look again, but I believe all the belts and hoses are still the original Ford NOS stuff. At any rate, since the Russo-Steele comment and wrong engine comment were both incorrect, then I would suggest that this parts missing comment is also wrong.

However Les, I would appreciate you contacting me at the phone numbers below if my information is incorrect. Les, I would like some proof that parts were removed from my car. I would also like the names and phone numbers of the MCA senior judges who you indicated would no longer judge this a thoroughbred car. The reason I would like this information Les, is that I have enough money, time and lawyers to make life miserable for the people who sold me my 69 Shelby if you can provide me proof that my car was not as represented to me when I purchased it, i.e. that it doesn't have its original engine or that parts were scavenged off the car.

I appreciate your help with correcting any mis-information about my car,

Chip Wright
Call anytime and I will be glad to talk about this.
cell 770-365-1872
home 678-305-0756
office 770-956-1225
Old 11-21-2005, 03:08 AM

Chip,
A 1969 Shelby CV black jade with the VIN number 9F03R482667 sold at Russo and Steel on August 17, 2001 lot number 310 for 103,400 dollars. Mileage according to the auction listing was 21,474 in August of 2001. This transaction can be found on several different websites for your immediate review including RS as well as Sports car Market and others .

If you look up 9F03R482667 in the Shelby registry you might note that the mileage is referenced at 24,000 in 1988. You might also note that the block was replaced according to Shelby records posibly twice.

There are a number of different ways to determine if your car still has it's original parts. One of which is to retain an expert to examine the car for you another is to put the car on a lift and simply get the part numbers and date codes off the parts. Every part on that car will have a date code and part number including the fan belts where the date is embossed onto the belts. As will the exhaust etc.

I have no idea what world wide did or didn't do in regard to your car nor am I making any representation connected to world wide nor was I aware that they removed parts from a 66 as you claim?

Every old muscle car requires generous amounts of time in regard to performing due diligence and research prior to a purchase I have over 30 cars of my own and don't have the extra time to help you with your car. Sorry I have enough projects and parts to round up for next years MCA circuit and will struggle to meet my deadlines.

There are a couple of MCA National shows very close to you next year. I will be there as a judge like I was at the MCA grand national( yes they are scraping the bottom of the barrel when they need me) and I will be bringing cars for the show. I would enjoy meeting you and if you enter your car there will be several senior head judges doing the Thoroughbred class to examine your car for you. If it is still a Thoroughbred it will be awarded as such. The quality of workmenship on the car is outstanding and the car is ultra rare and will always bring a world record price when it sells.

Hope to see you and your fantastic car at an MCA show! I certainly mean't no disrespect toward your car and like I said think it will bring a world record for a 69 Shelby if you decide to sell it. A seller really can't hope for more than a world record I would think when they sell there car.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

Benchmark demands that everything be done on the same weekend, Survivor one day and Gold judging the next day.
Judging sheets are good, but you best look and verify all the parts are there. Heck, a correct distributor cap is $300 now. I wouldn't want to get home and remove the distributor shielding only to see a service replacement cap.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 AM

(Mosp)How about what it really comes down to it !! When the car is for sale and has a Gold certificate saying so. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$ or without $$$$$$$$. Not saying this is you Les !!

Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 AM

Les
Just three points. First, the car was at the Barrett Jackson auction, not Russo Steele. I go to both and there is quite a difference. Thus, when you indicated with such certainty that you had been tracking this car for some time and you were so certain about the Russo Steele auction, I just assumed you must have had the car confused with another Shelby.

Second, I did not say that Worldwide removed parts, but that they were removed from a world-beating 66 Shelby before Worldwide took possesion. Worldwide had possesion of both my 69 Shelby and that 66 Shelby at the same time. Thus it seemed reasonable to me that folks had confused which car had parts removed.

Third, I know both the restorer and the gentleman who had my car restored. As I recall, both indicated it was the original drivetrain. This does not mean the Shelby registry is wrong. When the man purchased my car he may have found the original block sitting in the same garage. That happens. I simply don't know, nor can I explain how the VIN got on my engine in the correct spot and on a rough surface unless it is the original engine. However, I will call both tomorrow and report what I am told. I will never knowingly misrepresent a car.

Thanks for your help and guidance. Also, let me ask again, if you have any proof about parts being removed from my car, please let me know. I take such accusations very seriously, because I paid a lot for this car based on certain representations, and I expect those to be true.

Thanks again, I look forward to meetting you and seeing some of your incredible cars.
Chip Wright
Old 11-21-2005, 07:22 AM

Chip,
The car sold in Monterray on the date I previously discussed and for the amount I discussed. BJ doesn't have an auction in Monterrey(how do you spell that anyway). As I said the transaction from August of 2001 is on several different sights that track auctions and can be viewed immediately. I don't know whether it went to BJ before or after August of 2001 or when it went to world wide. But I also remember the car being sold at Monterray that August as well as having the auction database as a resource.

In regard to the block consider getting the date code off the block and compare it with the cars build date. IMHO you should have the date codes and part numbers for the block,heads,intake,carb,dist.,water pump, plug wires,dist. cap, radiator,exhaust,wheels,on your database for a car of this caliber. Whomever you bought it from should also have this information as well as the person who restored it. IMHO people prepared to pay 375K for the car are going to require this information before they buy the car.

The blocks date code should precede within three months the cars build date. From my experience VIN numbers on the block are only the starting point. Most probative to me is when the block was cast, because cast dates are impossible to replicate. My first inquiry on whether a block is factory original to the car is the cast date, then I look to see if the numbers match. If both check out I am satisfied that either it is original to the car or that someone went to a lot of effort to find a date code correct block and restamp it. In either case I am happy.

The shelby registry is invaluable as a resource and the way I read the history of your car in the registry the block has been replaced under warranty. The 69 SAAC registrar has all the warranty receipts for your car and for a small fee he will copy them and send them to you. You should IMHO also have those copies for a car of this caliber. I think the registars name is Vinny Liska he is a nice guy.

Therefore if you check the casting dates on your car and read the registry and contact the registrar for your warranty information the issue of whether the block is original will be resolved. As will the parts issue.

It was never my intention to disparage you or the car I never implied that you knowingly misrepresented the car. The car could be taken to any show today and win a concours gold and possibly a Thoroughbred and sell for a world record price simply because of what it is and the great quality of the restoration.

All of this is simply the process an owner goes through when selling a high dollar muscle car. Except at BJ where drunken millionaires buy anything that sounds loud and looks shiny and has the word HEMI attached to it somewhere. LOL
Old 11-21-2005, 08:16 PM

No disrespect intended to Les, lord knows that my memory isn't what it used to be, (blame it on the medication ), but Chip is correct about the auction. This car crossed the block at BJ in 2001, lot #694. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=165843
It sold for $93,960.00.
I could find no record of this car on the Russo and Steele website.
I would like to find a stock that can appreciate like this.
As for the link that Chip put into his original post in this thread, is this the same car? I'm confused because of the selling price listed on that link.
http://www.atlantamusclecars.com./1969%2...20500%20LMC.htm
This seems to be an awful big jump in price, not that I could buy the car at any of the amounts listed.
I regret that I do have too much time on my hands.

COPO 9561/9737 M40 X11D80
13.37 @ 105.50 on pump gas,drove it to NATL TRAILS and back [email protected] SCR22
Old 11-21-2005, 08:22 PM

Here it is in Monterey at the RM sale in August, 2001 - sold again at 103k, information found at www.sportscarmarket.com in the auction results listings:

"1969 Shelby GT500 Drag Pack

Car Information
Year: 1969
Marque: Shelby
Model: GT500
Type: Drag Pack
Chassis #: 9Fo3R482667
Engine Cylinders: 8 CYL
HP: 335
Left Hand/Right Hand Drive: LHD
Body Type: Convertible
Exterior Color: dark green
Interior Color: black vinyl
Odometer Shows: 21474
Miles / Kilometers: Miles

Auction Information
Auction Location: Monterey, CA, California, usa
Auction Lot Number: 310
High Bid/Sold Price: $103,400
Sale Status: Sold
Sale Date: 8/17/2001 (View all cars from this auction)
Event Name:
Auction Company: RM Auctions
Auction Data By: Sports Car Market Magazine
Condition Rating: 1-
SCM # 23191
Condition Description: Shelby Drag Pack convertible equipped with a rare list of options including extra heavy duty suspension, tilt steering wheel, 8-track stereo, tinted glass and 4-speed manual transmission. Scored 445 out of 450 at 1999 Shelby Concours.
Market Opinion: The 1960-70 cars were at one time dismissed by Shelby enthusiasts as not being "real" Shelbys. The $100k sale price on this unit will make some 1966 GT 350 owners sit up and take notice. Lots of money, but lots of car. "

Colin
Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 PM

RM not RS oops! Sorry I got my R's mixed up.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:44 PM

Les asked me to read the Shelby Registry entry on this car to make sure he was reading it correctly. I have to agree, from the info in the 1997 Registry, #2667 had a new block under warranty at 891 miles on 9/2/69...and then another new block after the #4 rod bearing spun at 6068 miles on 11/20/69.

Just my $.02, from written documented info on record with Ford and SAAC

Colin