Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Dick Harrell

Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 AM

Default Re: RogerD's 1969 Dick Harrell Chevelle

If it was a Malibu wouldn't it likely have had a 10 bolt in it originally?... I'd be very surprised if they took a new car and swapped in a complete 12 bolt rear end, put an SS hood on it and SS wheels (if the ones in your photoshop pics are indeed the style it originally had.) not to mention the color, which generally points to an SS-only option. I'd bet a dollar to doughnuts it was an SS car from day one, and they simply removed the SS emblems prior to your purchase.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it was a Malibu wouldn't it likely have had a 10 bolt in it originally?... I'd be very surprised if they took a new car and swapped in a complete 12 bolt rear end, put an SS hood on it and SS wheels (if the ones in your photoshop pics are indeed the style it originally had.) not to mention the color, which generally points to an SS-only option. I'd bet a dollar to doughnuts it was an SS car from day one, and they simply removed the SS emblems prior to your purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confused here ...

they made "plain" Camaros with 12 bolts and 427's

why couldn't they have made a "plain" Malibu with them?

I think there are too many people thinking in the wrong direction here

he has the original paperwork (it is pictured in the 1st post), the car is the same car, same vin, just 40 years later and some missing parts, why are there so many doubters?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,925 Posts

I guess I don't see how this car couldn't be 'the real deal' - the paperwork suggests it's at least a Dick Harrell conversion regardless of what it started out as. Pretty amazing luck finding this car after 40 years!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 AM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

Absolutely Tony..well said.I don't think anyone is questioning that.
I just wanted to take a step back,and look at what it started out as,nothing more then that.I think it's a great car w/heritage ta boot,and didn't mean to take anything away from Roger getting it back.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 AM

Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,925 Posts

Rick, totally agree with you and my comments weren't directed to anyone in particular.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am confused here ...

they made "plain" Camaros with 12 bolts and 427's

why couldn't they have made a "plain" Malibu with them?

I think there are too many people thinking in the wrong direction here

he has the original paperwork (it is pictured in the 1st post), the car is the same car, same vin, just 40 years later and some missing parts, why are there so many doubters?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are confused. No doubt its a real Harrell car, no one's questioning that. We all just want to know what it started out as prior to the DH conversion...it seems like it was more than "just" a Malibu, even before the DH conversion...at minimum it seems like it had SS equipment, and actually the more I look at it everything seems to point to it being a COPO car... Did the car have front disc brakes originally? Oh, and what's the deal with the engine block posted by Anders? Is that the block from this car?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 AM

I think that was a engine that Rich Pern had. He bought it and found that partial VIN by the oil filter.

Jason
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 AM

Possibly a special order Malibu?? All the same,what makes this car the COOLEST is that it is a REAL Dickie Harrell prepped car!!!! How many of these do you see everyday????

Very Awesome Car and back in the "right hands"

Rich
Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 PM

I FedExed notarized 'CERTIFIED TRUE COPY OF ORIGINAL' documents in color over to Valerie Harrell that establish a before/during/after ownership chronology on my 1969 DHPC Chevelle as follows:

1. May 21, 1966 - Customer Invoice and window sticker on my 1966 Chevelle SS (paid $3,361.00 new) - really t'd off my foreman at work (Ford Motor Company - Claycomo, MO)

2. Aug 19, 1969 - Customer Invoice and window sticker on my 1969 DHPC Chevelle that shows my 1966 Chevelle SS 396 as the trade in (at $1,859.15 with 105K miles - paid $2,700.00 difference) - just had to have that 69 Orange DHPC Chevelle . . .

3. Oct 19, 1970 - Customer Invoice and window sticker on my 1970 Camaro for which my 1969 DHPC Chevelle was traded in (received a whopping $2,245.95 trade in on the 69 DHPC Chevelle - still owed $1,927.83 on the 69 DHPC Chevelle to GMAC) - note, I'm not a financial genius as you may well have concluded here . . .

These original documents are unaltered and in generally good condition (subject to normal wear and tear from handling over the last 43 years)

I am hopeful that by providing these documents, DHPC will find them acceptable to enable sharing information available from their archives with me on my 1969 DHPC Chevelle!

Air cleaner had no decals, valve covers were chrome, I conclude it was/is a K plant COPO but have only the Bill Allen document to support that.

There were absolutely no SS emblems on the car - just the large size flags on the front fenders and a nondescript Dick Harrell sticker on the deck lid.

It did have the 69 SS hood with chrome 'vents' at the rear - the hood was striped black as shown in my photoshopped pictures - no stripes on the top or rear, I recall the back panel below the trunk lid was black, no SS emblem in the middle.

It had a "Malibu" trim above the glove box, the wheels were 14” SS wheels - currently has 15” RS on the car.

I will never forget clipping a highway construction barrell about 1:30AM early, early one November '69 morning while heading home - when I scrapped the LF fender, the flat spot was there (it's the OEM fender) - bumper shows signs of that encounter as well - I swerved at the last moment - didn't even knock the bbl over but it put a flat spot on the driver fender . . .
Attached Images

Last edited by RogerD; 11-02-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM

So you saved all that paperwork but never took a single photograph of the car when it was new or near new? A few original pics would sure be a help now. Any chance you might have any?

I definitely believe your car is a COPO 427...even if you don't!