Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Just saw triple black L 78 w cowl ind...Woww

So car is the real deal !!! I could not believe it..I thought it was a black primer Rs ss when I saw just the rear end of the car in the garage ....until I went over and said hi to the owner...

The car has all the smog, etc..w a flowmaster exhaust ??? Why not put chambered?? Also glossy fender wells and rad support...but overall beautiful car..now w 28k miles..the owner drives it on nice days

....a few questions....the flat black rear panel is correct on black car??? What about the rockers?? Did they get flat black...And how can we tell it was stripe delete??? Car now has stripes...i think it looks better w the stripes
Old 06-07-2015, 01:28 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iluv69s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...And how can we tell it was stripe delete??? Car now has stripes...i think it looks better w the stripes

</div></div>

Because of the dash ( - ) on an 05C car...a black car would have used '10' by that time in the production year as it was no longer a special order color as it was up to OCT.(?) OR NOV. (?). But because there's no 10, then the only other special paint request on a black car (Z28 or SS) would be 'stripe delete'
Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Dark colored cars wouldn't have the rear tail panel or rockers painted that satin black. If this car has it now, i would say it is incorrect...
Old 06-07-2015, 03:17 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Nickey Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dark colored cars wouldn't have the rear tail panel or rockers painted that satin black. If this car has it now, i would say it is incorrect... </div></div>

Not so. There was a original 10 10 69 Camaro car at MCACN about three years ago ? All original paint. The back panel was clearly painted a different gloss level, it was especially noticeable under the trunk lid near the seal and there was a distinct tape line.
On black cars this may be hit and miss ? But there have been several like this one.
I thought I had a photo and now I can't find it. I know Shauger has seen the car.

Mike
Old 06-07-2015, 04:02 PM

Thanked 2,130 Times in 666 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billohio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that car was in Hemmings at one time and I talked to the owner who was around Cincinnati. Later it was one of the dream car raffles. </div></div>

The car was in a collection in WI at one time; I saw it here in the '90s.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:02 PM

I think it was about 3 years ago in hemmings. I think I saved the ad. I will check. As odd as that car is, when I saw one like it as the dream car raffle I assumed it was the same one.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m22mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Nickey Nova</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dark colored cars wouldn't have the rear tail panel or rockers painted that satin black. If this car has it now, i would say it is incorrect... </div></div>

Not so. There was a original 10 10 69 Camaro car at MCACN about three years ago ? All original paint. The back panel was clearly painted a different gloss level, it was especially noticeable under the trunk lid near the seal and there was a distinct tape line.
On black cars this may be hit and miss ? But there have been several like this one.
I thought I had a photo and now I can't find it. I know Shauger has seen the car.

Mike </div></div>

Hey Mike, Is the tail panel on your Camaro painted a different black?? I remember reading somewhere that black and dark colored cars were not painted that satin black on the rear panel,which makes sense because the blacked out panel wouldn't show up very well. The only dark colors that come to mind are black,fathom green, burnished brown and maybe dusk blue. Anyone out there ever seen the rear satin black panels of BB Camaros painted with these colors??
Old 06-09-2015, 12:53 AM

Can't go by my car, original paint was gone when I got it.
Here is a thread where they are talking about the black cars tail panel, to bad all the pic's are gone. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif[/img]
The one car is the one I saw @ MCACN.
Black tail panel

Here is the sill blackout exceptions, these dark colors only omitted the sill, not the tail panel.
It is also noted here that a few Black cars have the low gloss tail.

Sill blackout execptions
Old 03-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Sorry to revive such an old thread. Anyone know where this car is now? I was at a friend's in the Cincy area today who owed this car for years. He showed me copies he kept of all the docs and original titles. Neat car. Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 04:17 AM

It's interesting how Chevy did things compared to other GM brands. In Pontiacs, it's a special-order color. For Oldsmobiles, it could be an extra-cost color. And the mere opportunity to delete the stripes also gives a Chevy dashes on the data plate. Not sure I'd call it "special-order paint" but it's interesting nonetheless.