Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-12-2017, 01:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,174 Posts

Having a hard time finding the right backing plates for 11 inch rear drums.

Will start a new thread in "technical and restoration"
Old 10-23-2017, 01:16 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,174 Posts

Found a great deal on a complete NOS, still in the box JacPac on ebay. There are several kits on ebay right now. You can do a search if you have never seen one of these. They are really slick.

The kit was marked as fitting a 1970 Chevy Pick up. I still don't know for sure what it is for. The only difference from one kit to the other is the actual air shocks. Since I already had Gabriel Hijackers, and am content with them, I bought it for the rest of the kit.

That means I have a pair of NOS rear air shocks (supposedly) for a 1970 Chevy PU that I will be selling. 67 to 72 should be the same. Need to verify fitment first.

Anyway, installation was very simple. The compressor runs off of engine vac. Mounted it on the inner fender. Didn't even need to drill holes for the controller under the dash. There were two holes that lined up perfectly just right of the steering column. Ran the pressure line with some wires that I had previously run for my trailer brakes under the carpent and sill plate. Pulled through the rear quarter opening along with the factory rear harness, so no danger of it getting hit by a stone. Used the existing pressure tubing in the Gabriels.

It works very well. It is awesome being able to change the pressure without looking for a place with compressed air. Besides, most travel stops with "free" air, only provide about 60 psi. If I pick up a load on the road, now I can adjust my pressure from the driver's seat. The compressor does make a little thumping noise when increasing the pressure. However, it stops as soon as the desired psi is reached, and makes no noise otherwise.