Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Berger Chevrolet

Old 09-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 69 BERGER double copo value compared to yenko

hi, i just wanted to see what the members thoughts were on how the value of a BERGER DOUBLE COPO compared to a YENKO COPO. assuming all things were equal except one being a BERGER and the other a YENKO?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 PM

Default Re: 69 BERGER double copo value compared to yenko

Not an expert but an observer. I'll throw this out for the experts to chomp into [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img] .....

BTW, I am assuming you are talking about a '<span style="text-decoration: underline">69</span> sYc Camaro ('67 and '68 <span style="font-style: italic">YENKOs</span> are different animals)

<span style="font-size: 26pt">2</span> (sYc) : <span style="font-size: 26pt">1</span> (Berger)

Old 10-01-2016, 12:12 AM

I think a Yenko is more of a sure thing. But sometimes the right marketing, the right auction, the right day.....
Old 10-01-2016, 03:10 PM

I agree with the preceding comment. Both cars are ultra rare, made at the same factory with the same COPO drivetrain and suspension parts, and in equal condition, with original born with parts, and equal documentation it may be a matter of preference.
Considerations - Yenko cars have the advantage of a vin# list to identify their cars where a Berger car needs to have factory or dealer paper, or other qualified identification. But there are a lot fewer Berger cars, 40 ( plus 1 single COPO car ) compared to 201 or whatever the latest # is agreed upon.
Just had lunch and a long conversation with Dale Berger, who with Mike Wauwee, ordered all 40 cars. He wanted his cars to stand out, so they all have styled trim group ( X11 ), many have endura bumpers, vinyl tops, and he ordered @ 6 RS cars as well. Dale and Don Yenko had two two common ideas, no black cars, and all cars came with Sports Car Conversion.Also, Dale's second order were 5C and d cars and all had the 7,000 tach and the center fuel gauge. Dale also ordered cars in all colors, compared to only 6 at Yenko

If there is a 2:1 value difference between cars, and a Yenko brings $300K, please send me a truck load of Berger cars at $150K !!

Full disclosure : This opinion comes from the original owner of a Berger car, but I love them all. It's fun to park my white car next to Larry Christensen's original unrestored Yenko car, and discuss what Dale and Don were thinking when they ordered these cars. Well dressed sleeper compared to &quot; I'm a Yenko car&quot;.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:37 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Great comment Kevin!!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:47 PM

There was a Berger COPO said to be for sale on this site. I think it was around May of this year. If I remember correctly it was listed for 285k. I remember one comment stating it should sell quick. I did a search but the posts must have been deleted! &amp;#129300;
Old 10-03-2016, 01:21 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

I had a blue Berger double COPO advertised at 215K and it sold.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:20 PM

Thanked 1,113 Times in 327 Posts

That Berger double COPO was a great color &amp; appeared to be a good car. I'm thinking the asking price of a similar Yenko would be 70k more IMO. Here's my opinion (for what it's worth):

Today's value of a restored double COPO, 4 speed, (non-RS), #s match, with a good history in a popular color - 160k

Today's value of a restored Berger double COPO, 4 speed, (non-RS), #s match, with a good history in a popular color - 190k

Today's value of a restored Yenko double COPO, 4 speed, #s match, with a good history in a popular color - 285k

Of course, documented OE drive train or survivor or one owner escalate the price.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-06-2016, 12:31 AM

I am not an expert by any stretch but here is my perspective on values of Yenko copos compared to Berger copos. I think for the most part it comes down to popularity verses rarity. Obviously the popular being Yenko and the rarer being Berger. I think yenko put a little more of their own touches on them so that can add to the value but most Berger copos were x-11's with vinyl tops and endura bumpers so that may add too. I feel one thing that has kept the Yenko's prices higher is that Berger copos are rarely seen for sale or at auction. Thus keeping the popularity down.
I also have another theory that may change things down the road. Berger is still operating and are still selling high performance cars. I have been told they have over $200 million in gross annual sales. They currently sponsor at least 4 copo drag cars that I have seen. In other words they are still active in racing and high performance cars which will continue to drive and grow Bergers name and popularity. So the million dollar question is. What is the value of a Yenko copo and what is the value of a Berger copo?
In reality it always boils down to what someone is willing to pay and this normally ends up proving most of us wrong.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:50 AM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

200Mil a year is over 500K in sales a a day. That would be 5 100K cars a day.