Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 06:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

JMHO but I cannot understand why anyone would want to recreate documents for 'novelty' purposes, but wouldn't be happy to have them clearly marked 'reproduction'. You either have original documentation, or you don't.
Ran at Lions Dragstrip and Pomona Raceway, with paint by Bob Kovacs of Fresno.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
JMHO but I cannot understand why anyone would want to recreate documents for 'novelty' purposes, but wouldn't be happy to have them clearly marked 'reproduction'. You either have original documentation, or you don't.
It's simple. I don't want it to say it because I don't want it to say "reproduction" on it. That's the beauty of freedom. I can do that.
If anyone is foolish enough to believe my laminated brand new document is real and they don't ask me if they're really worried about it, they're an idiot and I really don't care what they think. Honestly, mine stays in my file cabinet anyway. I just like it for myself so I can see what it might have looked like and it's nice to see all my options and their original price tag. Again, it's not aged etc. to mislead anyone.
Since the dawn of time there have been scam artists. That will never change. I don't believe in changing things for everyone because of a few thieves etc. Go after the ones that are actually scamming. Hold them accountable if you want.
JMO and as such might not mean anything to anyone, but me...

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 05-21-2017, 12:28 AM

I say novelty because people like to see them displayed with the car. Some people ask if it's real and I simply say it's not but what the original would have looked like. I think reproduction stamped on them would look dumb. Just my .02...

Rich
Old 05-21-2017, 05:37 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I have no problem with someone displaying Paul's paperwork with a car and truly think he does an "outstanding" job with his invoices and window stickers. Not only that, but I like how far he goes to research the facts on each customers car as well as the background info he often digs up on original dealerships. I have used Paul's services before and while already having had GM of Canada paper to go with that car, he researched facts to discover a few unknown details about the car and the dealership it came from, and did so on his own accord. He then went on to dig up additional promotional material on the original, but then defunct Chevrolet dealership.

Now on the other side of the coin I do recognize the issue with "some people" misrepresenting paper when it comes to selling a car, but to me that is solely on the integrity of the individual seller. Furthermore, I believe it's up to each and every buyer to perform the proper due diligence when buying a car regardless of its value, paperwork claims or the cars actual pedigree. Greed in itself is a funny thing which always brings fraudulent acts out of the shadows and stamping paper with the words "Reproduction" is not going to stop that!!! In fact, it's almost as bad as saying that every reproduced part on the market today should be stamped with words "Reproduction".

Fact is, most of us question almost "any" piece of paper unless there's rock solid ownership history to fact check the lineage of any such piece being claimed as original. IMHO, anyone who buys a vintage muscle car should (must) back check each such claim and if they don't, then bad on the prospective buyer for throwing such caution to the wind!!!

We already have enough trim tag and paperwork cops out there, and with all of the parts being made today that very closely resemble an original part right down to the smallest detail, it's high time that prospective buyers assume more responsibility to ensure they perform their own due diligence and focus on cars that are proven authentic. That or at least properly ascertain the level that the car has actually been restored to, or better yet do it through a certified pro appraiser who knows that cars particular makeup. There are too many would be buyers out there that just go and write the check without knowing what they should be looking for, what they're looking at or who they should hire to inspect a car if they haven't already done the proper homework and background checks.

Just my 2 bits on the matter, and yes I do realize other opinions will differ.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:36 AM

Default counterfit documents

Nothing wrong with displaying a reproduction document, window sticker, tank stick, whatever. Its when they get represented as real or the sgt schultz excuse i know nothing . Read forgery laws. INTENT to decieve -----> aging a fake document ... MY OPINION
Old 05-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Thanked 2,113 Times in 664 Posts

Both cars crossed the block at Mecum with the fake docs. The auctioneer stated N647976 had an original window sticker. Did not meet reserve.

Nothing was said about N565875; misrepresentation by silence. Hammered for $60k.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:48 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Not to argue the point William {and I do appreciate your pursuit of documentation}, but if I was buying a car worth 60K, I would have personally traveled there to inspect it, or hired a consultant to look at it for me. Anyone failing to do so falls under the term;

Proverb:

a fool and his money are soon parted

• It is easy to get money from foolish people.
  • It is difficult or unlikely that foolish people maintain their hold on acquired wealth.

That in itself is what brings "INTENT" to deceive to the forefront for the curb artists of the world.

Last edited by NorCam; 05-21-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Caveat Emptor
Old 06-05-2017, 04:01 PM

Thanked 2,113 Times in 664 Posts

Here we go again.

1970 Chevelle SS LS-6 454 136370R210143 is being advertised as [quoting the ad]:

Documented, #s match concourse restoration!
#s match throughout and documented.
Has invoice and predelivery inspection which has protect-o-plate imprint.

In addition to the photos of the “paperwork” there are photos of VIN-stamped engine and trans.

Check out the link to an old on-line ad. Was not even an SS; originally a column-shift auto Malibu. No engine, trans, 10 bolt axle. Same VIN as the car currently marketed as an LS-6.

http://www.2040-cars.com/chevrolet/c...evelle-714726/
Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

And look who it is selling it..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrol...-/172675106692

Vehicle Description
#s match throughout and documented. Has invoice and predelivery inspection which has protect-o-plate imprint. Also a long detailed list of correct part #s. Just finished a total body off frame restoration. There isn't a piece of this car that isn't restored like new. Even where you can't see. If you take the door panel off you will see the components in the door are detailed to show quality. If you removed the upholstery you will see seat springs that have been stripped primed and painted. Beca...use of the perfect fit and finish this car is considered better then new. Every functional part is restored or new. Only 40 test miles. Every part of the car is correct. From the engine trans and rear to the carb distributor and manifolds. Even down to the correct exhaust with numbered resonaters. Correct pulleys belts radiator smog equipment and more. 450 hp was the highest advertised hp of any American production car. This one is backed by a rock crusher 4-speed and 4.10 posi. It means business! Whether you want an investment a piece of garage jewelry or a neck snapping driver you get all 3 with this car! Invoice Predelivery sheet Power steering Power disc brakes Cowl induction Gauges Console Bucket seats Deluxe tilt wheel 4.10 posi

I've had enough of people contacting me with Q about this car.
As William has shown,and thanks to the internet,do your own homework before purchasing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
NorCam (06-06-2017)