Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 09-27-2002, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Identifying 1969 Baldwin Motion Corvettes

That is definitely not a Motion car.

There aren't even any signs of Motion work present.

Like I said before, that is just a standard random '70's customization.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:23 AM

Then it will make a good project to work on with my son. Only way to beat a big block corvette coupe is to find a convertible big block corvette cheaper. Won't have to worry about "restoring" it, or if the numbers match.

My Pace Car
Old 09-27-2002, 02:35 AM

Absolutely, I agree!

I saw it when somebody posted the link on corvetteforum. I personally wouldn't mind having it, but I already have enough toys and projects.

Best of luck with it if you get it. If you do restore it, restore it the way it is, not the way it was the day it rolled out of the factory. Already enough of that out there, and not enough evidence of the way the Corvette scene really was in the '70's.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:25 AM

I'm curious what you don't see on this car that none of it points to it possibly being a motion converted car.Maybe not a baldwin car.Its probably not but there's nothing I see to discount this car.I'd hate to give this gentleman wrong info and it turn out being legitimate.I'm not questioning your knowledge but there might be something I'm missing.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:29 AM

The body certainly doesn't contain any of the usual markers of a Motion car. If you know of any other Motion vehicles that look like that, then please share the photos!

The only way to be absolutely sure is to pay the $1500 to Joel Rosen to lookup the VIN.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:18 PM

I'm digging right now.What I'm concerned about is the slots,side exhaust,airbox in hood,ZL-1 fender flares,late 69 valve covers, L-88 type hood ,tufted seats and most of all northeast. I wouldn't discount it. If you look at his 78-79 catalog of everything corvette joel ever sold you'll see all these items I mentioned.Cover-headlights,page5-tufted interior,page8-headlights,page 17 hood,page 18-airbox,page 22-fender flares,page 35-side exhaustand page-36 slots.If anybody has this catalog and can post these items it would help.It has the van on the front.
Old 09-27-2002, 02:10 PM

Those are all standard items for the time, available from a lot of vendors, and used by a lot of customization shops.

If we want to go off location, then John Silva (Ipswich, Salem MA) is closer to that area and more prolific with customized Corvettes. From 1969 until 1979, he created 125 of the Maco body style alone (he did lots of other styles as well, but they were generally unique and not as common as the pictures here).

Motion only did 3 of the Maco body style (Silva is the original creator of the shape), and only did 1 of the "Manta Ray". I don't know number of Phase III 'Vettes, but it wasn't very large either. Motion's creations were rather unique as well, and not as common looking as the pictures here either.

There certainly are a lot of other shops in the area that did similar customizations in the '70's.