Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 12-18-2002, 02:27 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Super Stock SS/C SS/D vintage racer

Cool car. The old pictures show the cowl hood, no SS396 emblems, has a BE rear dated perfectly for it, sure looks like it could have COPO potential. But it looks a little late for one of the early Yenko X66 COPO's which were 01A and 01B. Is this car possibly a Canadian car?
Old 12-19-2002, 12:04 AM

I have not check with GM Canada yet. I am waiting to hear back from the original owner and driver Charlie Jacobs. Now I did speak with the Sponser and owner of the dealership Mac's Chevrolet and he says this car was a COPO. But that is not confirmed. He also told me that he may still have the original paper work on this vehicle in storage. I'm hoping. In looking around the car recently I notice that the ZL-2 selonoid is still on the hood, but no wiring left or flapper, the spoilers were added and no build sheet to be found.

I was wondering would of the fenders be pierced for ss 396 badging? I will look at that next.

Rich

1969 Mac's Chevrolet NHRA Super Stock Vintage 427 Camaro
Old 12-19-2002, 01:27 AM

Check the fuse block under the dash for the wiring that goes to the hood that connects to the fuse block. I think there is a known X66 Canadian COPO but I don't know for sure all the details. Maybe someone else that knows will chime in. I still think it's a great example of period race car that was bought strictly for that purpose.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:46 AM

Jeff,
There are no "officially" confirmed or verified X66 COPOs other than Yenkos, but now is a good time to correct me if my statements are incorrect. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2002, 12:55 PM

That's why I was asking. I saw comments about an X66 Canadian COPO so I thought someone might know for sure. Rich, if you don't mind posting your VIN, maybe someone here can help identify if it fits into a build range or possible Yenko.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:17 PM

Jeff,

Yes the wiring is there. The VIN is 124379N601701. The history keeps pouring in. I just received two racing programs from Corn Huskers Raceway that contain accounts of the 1969 and 1970 point race standings and winnings. The driver in 1969 was a Charlie Jacob and in 1970 was a Jim Hayes.

Rich

Old 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Super Stock SS/D SS/E vintage racer

After a few detours and distractions I am finally starting the complete restoration of my Super Stock vintage racer project. The paint will be a B@*ht to duplicate. A few museums in Nebraska have shown some interest in its completion and return to the "West Central Division"

See my link to the first of a series of videos documenting the cars progress. Thanks TJ for all your help with the production and publication of the video it turned out fantastic.

YouTube link:

YouTube: Mac's Chevy NHRA SS/E Project

Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Super Stock SS/D SS/E vintage racer

man that is great! keep up the good work. For you leaf spring ladder bar guys looks like this car had em in its lifetime by the video.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 PM

Wow,awsome car. I was watching the video and was about to haul off on you for wanting to repaint it until I saw the passenger side. the outstanding condition of the rest of the car makes it all worthwhile though. If you are in New Jersey,I know the perfect place to reproduce that paint job. They were in Jersey City back in the day,and painted a ton of the super high end prostock and modified production cars with all the fish scales and lace paint,they moved to PA a few years ago. Both the father who did the paint work originally and the son handle the work,and if you want a shop that does this kind of work every day and wins awards everywhere they go,you should call them. They are also very reasonably priced, and dont do any bread and butter type work,its only custom one of a kind race cars for them. The shop was formerly known as G&K customs in Jersey City,but now goes by the name of Korek Designs. (thats the K in G&K) If you find a lot of old literature from back in the day you will find that many of the really decked out prostocks and modifieds from this area in the 70's were done by them.

This isnt a plug for a buddy's shop,this is real advice about a shop that did the award winning cars from back in the day who is still doing both modern and retro cars.

Good luck with it,and keep us posted.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 AM

Awesome car Rich. I just learned the history of your car while trying to track down the block from my 70 ls6. I live just outside of Omaha, Ne where you purchased the car back in 02. From the history I have, I was told the block to my ls6 went into the R D Shaker back in the 70's. I recently just uncovered this ls6 car about a month ago after it had been stored away for about 25 years. Could you please call Steve at 402-968-3287 with any info. Thanyou very much.