Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Ford-Mercury

Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,550 Times in 1,133 Posts

They're made by Alloy Metal Products. It's what most of the Mustang guys use. I don't know what else they make. For the Mopars, M&H is the way to go! Not sure if Alloy does custom stuff or not or what other makes, if any.

Cheers
Dave
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Well men........ I've made a decision. As REO Speedwagon said...."And I can't fight this feeeeelin' anymoooore"....meh, you know what I'm talking about. Let the Bullitization Begin!!! Ohohohohyyyeeaaahh!!

Cheers

Dave
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,579 Posts

----Sooo,,, You are going to weld the camera pipes on the floorpan? Oh,,, and the tape residue on the tach face? Come-on, Dave lets get this bullet resto cranked up!? ......Bill S

Last edited by olredalert; 01-20-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:45 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Ha! Yeah...i don't think I'm going to go that far, but ever since the Hero Car has been found I've got Bullitt on the Brain and... much like that Charger.... can't shake it!

Now, you's guys know me. If I'm going to do this into a Hero Bullitt look-a-like, gotta do it right! So in the parts bin are Firestone G70s, stock 2" pipes through the resonators only with straight pipe out the back, 67 Grille, no emblems on the outside, covered back up light holes on the rear valance, blacked out gas cap, 67 Shelby GT500 steering wheel wrapped in black leather, Hurst shifter.

Now, the plan is to make this all reversible, or bolt on,
so when the car gets a new owner it can be bright back to stock easily sans an interior redo. For the rocker moldings, I'll take the car to the vinyl wrap place and have them vinyl wrap them instead of paint for durability and easy removal. Also, I'll have them do the edge of the trunk lid filing the emblem holes but removable later. Fender emblem holes will be filled with painted plugs... again... easily removable. One option my car came with was the center console which won't be reinstalled. The Am 8-Track and the uber rarer convenience group in the center dash will be reinstalled.

Under the hood it'll be stock with all the correct details for a 68, but no Thermactor and no stock air cleaner. Although I'll have these parts for ease of restoring to stock if preferred later.

I gotta tell ya.... I'm really excited about doing this! Of course, all the assembly line details will remain with markings, techniques, finishes, tags, paint blops. In the end, I think it'll really pull together nicely. And if not... you heard it here first when it makes the news as the biggest flop in Automotive Restoration History!!

So.... here's some parts and a 67 Grille installed. More this week!!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

My car has the 8000 RPM tach and as such, came with a tripometer. Bullitt did too. The clock will be rebuilt as well, but the faces of the gauges are in great shape. And look at those original miles!!

And this is why it takes 5hrs to install 3 parts. The radiator to hood seal.... the got the ribbing right and then failed on the length. Interesting thing on mine.... usually this is stapled to the metal support but mine was clipped on. And enter the winner for the Worst Designed Part of 2018 so far [ I haven't seen the rest yet ahs the year is still pretty early so I expect this to Award to be usurped] are the rear bumper guards. The closest one is the correct fit and the lower one is how it comes.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by A12pilot; 01-27-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:15 AM

Great descision to Bullettizzze it!

Incredible workmanship!!!

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 01-27-2018, 12:58 PM

Ahhh. The joy of fitting reproduction parts. Nothing like it.

The 67 Grill looks like it fit pretty well, or did you have to use the sledge hammer (in the photo, on the floor) to ease it into place.

Detail looks great Dave. Keep up the good work.

I'll PM you my address so you know where to ship this when it is done
Old 01-27-2018, 03:36 PM

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,579 Posts

----Dave,,,At least the hood seal is too long. I expected it to be too short until I saw the pic! You should also make provisions for the fake tire smoke that was plumbed into one of the rear wheelwells,,,LOL!.....Bill S
Old 01-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Yep... when dealing with parts made 6500 miles away, sometimes some "persuasion" is in order! And carpet installation 101: 1. Lay out the supposedly, molded, carpet and see how lousy it fits. 2. Wonder if Taka or some other make made a Mustang model since this carpet doesn't remotely fit a Ford Mustang. 3. Get out a lot of glue and go to town! 4. Position carpet wrong and realize directions mean what they say about "instant bond". 5. Sell car to Phil unfinished with strategically offset carpet permanently glued down.

But seriously.... yesterday was Heater Box restoration day and the carpet and side sills are in! I also went with the Accessory Panels to really make it pop when you open the door. More interior work to come today!

Oh.... and since I'm shipping the car back to Ohio, instead of the fresh Bullitt plates... maybe I need to restore the plates that came with the car?

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Moving right along.... I'm into the interior. Step one was to mask things off and spray the Metallic Black funk down on the dash frame. Red Oxide visible on the underside and firewall and notice the inspection markings on the wiper motor. Also, the pivot transmissions had yellow and green marks on them, much like the suspension markings do signifying L and R. Will anyone notice this? No... but I will! Once that was done I turned my attention to the instrument cluster. I went with a Scott Drake clock, bezel, and lenses. Extremely happy with the quality of these parts. I left the factory installed surface rust on the back of the cluster housing for sentimental reasons. After all, much like freshly painted car waiting for its first ding, I'm heading this confrontation off at the pass by leaving this little bit of flash rust on the car so no other rust forms!

Heater Box, main wiring, and today defroster vents, dashpad and bezels go in. Notice on the instrument cluster the "Brake" light is not installed. Since my car has the uber rare convenience group, that's incorporated into that panel and instead of "Brake" it says "Park". Another neat thing is the seatbelt warning light says "Belts" yet the aftermarket lens you can buy say "Seat". Why they can't get that right is beyond me, but I kept the original bezels and lenses.

More to come!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

Last edited by A12pilot; 01-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (01-29-2018)