Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 01:38 AM

Question Advice needed on rare 4K car

About two years ago I went to a local cruise in and found a pretty good looking 4K car. It was painted red with red interior but the trim tag showed it being originally a black car with red interior. Long story short I ended up purchasing it. I checked with Phil (rare4K) that keeps a registry on the 67 L78 camaros and he said the only other black on red 4k car they knew of was a convertible...mine is the only hardtop known.

When I purchased it I had no idea how difficult it would be to get the paint and body work done on the car. We are needing to change it back to black and the car also needs a decent amount of sheetmetal work done on it too, including a new floor pan and most likely trunk pan.

I've already been through one place/guy that I had to wait for and then he completely went radio silent when it was time for us to deliver the car. Now, another place is beginning to look like they are going to fall through as well after I've waited 8-10 months in line. They have a pretty steady influx of ferraris and I feel as if I'm "a bother" to them in that my car would get in between their "regulars".

I am learning many valuable lessons with this car that I am thankful for. I doubt I will buy another car for a very long time that is need of being restored. It is expensive, yes, but more importantly to me at this stage in my life with multiple businesses and two young daughters, it is very time consuming and is draining some of the fun out of this hobby I enjoy.

I don't feel as if I am prideful in expecting a good place to actually want to do this work. They will get paid well for it in exchange for their hard work and expertise. I always appreciate when things are a win-win for both sides. However, I will not beg a place to do this car. I think that's completely ridiculous. In fact, I'll set it ablaze before I feel like that's the only way to get this thing done.

I know some of you on here have a good shop or relationship with a paint/body place that is highly reputable and does good work. If you can put me in contact with such a place it would be much appreciated. Or, if you have any other thoughts or advice on this then that is highly appreciated as well. In the context of life and big deals, this is not one of them...I get that. However, I respect many on here's opinions and look forward to hearing any and all thoughts.

Many thanks,
Kasey
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I feel for you Kasey, and for all the others who've been through the same scenario. I have a guy I've been using for 15 years now and that reign will likely end soon as he's really getting on in years now.

Hopefully someone from your area chimes in with a solid lead for you on shop who can restore the car without all the games that are often played. Maybe contact JasonL78 and see if he can give you a lead or maybe take the car on for you. There are many here who perform nice work on cars belonging to others.

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142090
Old 06-26-2017, 02:12 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,487 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusher_Man View Post
'll set it ablaze before I feel like that's the only way to get this thing done.

Many thanks,
Kasey
Kasey just give it to me and you won't have to think or worry about the car anymore. Problem solved.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,758 Times in 1,593 Posts

----Kasey,,, Maybe tell us to what level do you want to take this Camaro? It will help to know if you want to take it to MCACN or just want a great cruiser for local shows. Different shops will be able to handle one or the other better. MCACN style correct restos scare a lot of small shops that are actually pretty high quality, but they tend to drag their feet because they just don't know correct restos. And maybe unwilling to learn those details......Bill S
Old 06-26-2017, 02:42 PM

Nice looking combo! Killer looking. There are 2 black / red interior 1967 4K Yenko camaros in existence. Dave
Old 06-26-2017, 02:57 PM

PM me if a shop in Western NC is within your reach.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,487 Times in 609 Posts

Not to speak for Kasey but to maybe answer Bill's question on the quality of the job is to be top notch.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:26 PM

thanks everyone for the support and help. i really appreciate it. to answer some of the questions so far...

1. darrell, i thought about that but thankfully reconsidered as im not that crazy yet

2. bill, darrell is correct. im looking for this to be a top notch job. we can do most everything besides the paint/body although having one place do it all is an option.

3. dave, thats cool about the yenkos. i wasnt aware of that. based on the known % numbers of black camaros in 67 and knowing how unusual red interior is, we had ballpark-guessed around 5 or 6 being made of the L78 cars. my car and the vert is 2, plus the two yenkos would equal 4...which is around our estimate. of course the yenkos were converted. i bet those are filthy looking.

4. steve, honestly i dont know that any distance is out of the question.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM

oh, and i got to thinking and had forgotten about two other local places that had given me the shaft and also went radio silent when it was time for them to follow through on their word.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I know of a guy near me in northern IL that excellent at rebuilding a body that needs rust repair, and he loves doing black cars especially.
I can ask if he has an opening for a full-on body resto.

Don't text and drive.
Somebody's life may depend on it!