Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default heavy muscle car (kinda)

Well I finally got my big hoopdy caddy to go along with my other muscle cars. A bucket list item. Fresh 472 with cherry bombs. 1969 eldorado with front disk brakes.

Someone decided to bring a california LA car to the wisconsin area in the late 80s, and then ziebart it. I could not believe it. I checked it out in person and for a midwest car, it is hard to find zero rust anymore. If you live in the rust belt, these type of cars just draw you in when you look underneath, or knock on a fender, as you only expect to see them in california.

So the reason I am posting it here, is that who would have known GM had a shade of purple that is very very close to plum crazy purple. Very few 69-70 caddys were painted this color (like say 4%). I think they actually had the jump on mopar, but failed to put the color on other GM cars (too conservative). GM got the orange and yellows right in 69-70, but missed out on the shocking green and purple. They were ahead of the game on purple if they only tried a bit harder.

There is a one of one 1970 buick GS 455 4spd convertible out there in this same color. I found there is only one other eldorado that survived in this color out there so far, without the vinyl top option.

Any advice on pictures posting is appreciated, I could post a door jamb as the paint on the body is so so faded. I have been out of it since photobucket bit me.

It is truely fun driving a big gm motor like that (with new cherry bombs on it) and looking down that long hood, and having a 6 way power seat at your finger tips! And that motor is big sitting under that hood!

The 19 yr old I bought it from found it in a barn, rebuilt the motor with a hotter custom caddy cam, had the crank polished, put new rings in it (honed out the slight ridge at top of cylinders) had the heads redone, and put a new big holley performance carb on it. He has been an apprentice at a hot rod shop around milwaukee WI for 2 yrs and rebuilt a lot of chevy engines, and 4 caddy engines before he touched this one. I guess 472 caddy engines have plastic timing gears? That was the main reason he tore into the ok running engine. What were they thinking back then? Now its a steel type.

I had to buy it from him as he needed the money to finish his killer 68 camaro, and nobody really dug his unusal color ride, nor looked into how rust free it was. I hope my son or daughter grows up with a car passion like this guy.

I told him to start getting on yenko.net. I will post a picture of his black 68 with a super charger, he built all by himself. It is a very nice day 2 looking ride, he spent thousands on the body work, great stance. I tried to find him a big block heater box and heater core for cheap through friends I know, looks like I could not find one so he unfortunately has to go the new expensive route (so he says). Poor kid is finding out the money spend never ends.

Last edited by black69; 03-19-2018 at 10:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to black69 For This Useful Post:
Caseys69 (03-22-2018)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,597 Posts

----I cant help you with any real insight, but my cousin bought a 69 in that color new with white gut and white vinyl top. If nothing else it was different. I always wondered about him!.......Bill S
The Following User Says Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (03-20-2018)