Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 PM

Default 1969 chevelle chambered exhaust

currently running dual 3" flowmaster 3 chamber muffs with dumps at rear axle. pretty darn loud but sounds mean. looking to make a few changes. engine is a 454 with ported oval port heads with big valves. changing from a cc 274h to an isky z55 solid camshaft. plan on 6500 rpm shifts. rear gears are 4.88s with a tight 10" 3200 stall converter. car is just driven around town and might do some of the 100' holeshot drag racing at local track. classic chambered has a true 3" diameter 31" long muffler. also want to run it out back with stock chevelle tips. i can't find anyone with a similar combo. also have 2 1/8" primary headers. do you guys think it will be obnoxiously loud? louder than what i got now? i love the chambered sound. thanx mike
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,422 Times in 650 Posts
Default Re: 1969 chevelle chambered exhaust

I'll have to look for my youtube link, I have a chambered exhaust video there.

1966 Chevy Caprice 427-390
2012 Chevy Camaro RS Convertible]

Old 04-11-2010, 02:13 AM

awesome!! are you running headers? what size pipes? thanx love the sounds i've heard so far!!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 AM

Mike, if you go to the Gardner Exhaust website you will find a sound clip of Rick's Chevelle.

Don't know how my system would compare to yours, but it has Hooker Comp Headers, 3" pipe front to back with Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers. The tailpipe ends are downsized to fit the stock exhaust tips. I have been at several Chevelle events and listened to the chambered system on other cars which were not as loud as what I have. You may not find much of a difference once you change. One other thing, I believe the chambered pipes are not really as efficient as other performance mufflers which may effect those 100' bursts you refer to. At least that is what I have read on different occasions.

I may be switching to a full Gardner Chambered System at some point in the future when funds are available and a couple of other things fall in place. Won't be as proficient as what I have now, but for a stock factory system it is very COOL.

Don't know if any of this was of help, but good luck.