Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2016, 03:38 AM

Default Your DIY Home Improvements - Post'em up!

Hey guys, since buying our fixer-upper a few years ago, I find that I'm really getting into sprucing it up, making some décor, wood working, etc. I never really had an inclination for doing this in my last home, so I have no idea where it came from now, but I'm into it.

I'd be interested in seeing the level of DIY talent here on the board. Let's see what you'd like to brag about!
Here's my latest project - a ceiling treatment. I felt one of the seating areas in the home needed something that would help offer a bit more of the Hawaiian/Tahitian vibe we’re going for, so I took advantage of the ceiling area around a fan (electrical for the fan was done by a pro). I built a simple 8' x 6' wooden coffered box, stained it, added some trim and highlighted it with some Lauhala matting, and inlayed some green tortoise shell bamboo and burlap into the faux beam componants.

I cheated a little on the leafy insert around the base of the fan. I did produce the design, but I had a company put it into a CAD program, then laser cut it from some birch plywood. All I had to do was stain and install it. I also did some very minor electrical work so the design can be back-lit at night via the fan remote. I think it really helped pump up the space and I only have about $400 into it.

Last edited by Chick_Maggot; 06-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...