Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Old 01-16-2006, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Fred Gibb trademark

That whole group reminds me of a bunch of crawfish...guess all of these emails just "slipped their minds"...

[ QUOTE ]
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Dear Tom,
Glad to hear all is well with you. I'm sure you are eager to get the car finished. If you would, please send me a few pictures of the car. I would be honored to sign the car and I too am looking forward to it's completion. I also would like to authenticate your car with a Dick Harrell Licensing Agreement signed by you and me, that is if you plan on having Dad's name on the car. Moreover, since it was you who guided me in the right direction in getting his name licensed & trademarked and I am especially grateful that you helped me financially get the trademark started, I am only asking for $1.00 for a signed licensing agreement. I hope you will not be offended. I am honored by all that you have done to help keep Dad's name alive. Dale and I will not be at the Hod Rod Reunion, however, we do plan on being at the Funny Car Reunion in Englishtown the weekend of July 25, 26, & 27th. How about you? Again, it is always so good to hear from you. Hope your family is doing well and everyone has their health.
Warm wishes,
Valerie

Valerie Harrell
Dale Pulde
H.P. Racing, Inc.
Sylmar, CA

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 8:22 AM
Subject: Fwd: (no subject)

Rob,
Just checking email before going to work. Thank you for getting back with me right a way. I hope to see you both again on of these days. Issues are still unresolved as far as the divorce goes, however, our home did finally sell and I paid all money from that to my attorney. Oh, and by the way, please tell your father that the DH Licensing Agreement fee ($1.00) is already paid in advance.
Thanks.
Warmly,
Valerie

Valerie Harrell
Dale Pulde
H.P. Racing, Inc.
Sylmar, CA

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2003 10:00 AM
Subject: Fwd: Final proofs

Tom,
After Englishtown....... it would really nice to create a 1968 shirt for your car. Let me know. Here is what Dale helped me put together. I need to get Helen's approval, as well as Nickey.... your input please on this. I need contact info for these people too, if you have them to seek permission. As always, Val

PS: I have been meaning to tell you that I I just haven't had time to follow up on that licensing agreement for you. Just so you can have it for your records and to let others know that you have my full approval for what you have done with the car. Warmly, Val

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-16-2006, 06:01 PM

For the folks keeping score, Rob posted the emails above because rather then Valerie Harrell posting an explanation of why she was going after the Gibb mark, she had her spokesperson Mr. Pulde instead launch another attack at me. This time that I did not have Valerie's permission to use the DH mark.

I just wish they would get their stories straight and then stick with one. First they said I had a DH car, now they say I do not. Once they said it was OK for me to use the DH mark, now I did so without permission.

And the amusing part? They have questioned the quaility of the restoratation of my car, but these are the same folks who had Valerie's '02 DH/Pulde car, painted in Warbird colors! Give me a break!
Old 01-16-2006, 06:08 PM

An interesting post by Mr. Pulde on this site, 11-5-03.

<font color="red"> I have just looked on this site after being away from it for a while.
To Motown Madman, 396L35 and others who don't know jack about things you speak so knowledgeable of.
Valerie DID not ask the owner of the Kirby car or any others for money to use the DH name. If you boneheads had any balls at all you would have asked Valerie her side of the story. Read the eBay ad a few times. THE WHOLE AD. It says, ìOriginal Dick Harrell #3 car.î Under Vehicle condition it says ìAn all original DICK HARRELL 68 Funny Carî. It is not, was not and would never be a DH original car. It also says "own a piece of history"; racing history comes from wins and famous owners. The DH name is a good piece of Jim Kirby history. What major event did this car ever win? It was painted Harrell colors so he could fill in for Dick. The name Jim Kirby was not one everyone went to pay and see. As for Dick switching to a Hemi and Kirby not wanting to. I raced against Dick and Clyde Morgan who was replacing Kirby in late summer of 70.
Both cars still had a Chevrolet in them.
Valerie asked Kevin who had the eBay auction for NOTHING other than to advertise the truth.
Porterfield was a personality situation. Late 80s, he was denied the approval of Elaine and Valerie both, to use Dickís name and signature. He has since used and abused it.
Think about it, T-shirts, mugs, hats and any other thing he could profit from, including appearance money. Now that diecast cars and other things are out he wanted in on that also. <font color="blue"> Seems Valerie hasnít asked Tom Clary to take the name off his car. Tom has been a true gentleman to the Harrell family, unlike others. GO FIGURE! This also brings up another issue. Tomís car indeed is a REAL Dick Harrell car and the other does detract from the value of there being more than just a few originals. </font> I have the Emails from Valerie and Kevin in front of me. Kevin understood and writes that he should have written it differently. Please make no mistake Kevins car is a good find and a nice one.Just not a Harrell car as advertised
This sounds like the same group that so called heard Nancy Gibb talk about another car, when in fact this same group had that wrong as well. Yep, it was Candy red and thatís all you needed to say it was a Harrell funny car. It wasnít even a funny car! This kind of talk is not fair or good for anyone. I see several names on this subject that call or Email Valerie and act buddy buddy then post crap to stir the pot. She has taken along with the grief of her dads death and losing everything to all the whores, including family and tried to salvage her fathers past for herself, her children and her grandchildren. It was said that Dick Harrell would be proud to hear his name of the loud speaker and to see his cars out there. 1st of all I knew Dick Harrell. He would not charge you people for information about your cars like Porterfield who had it all given to him. Dick would go out of his way to make building your car a dream come true. Therefore he would not be pleased to have people like Porterfield running his name.
Motown Madman quit hiding behind your keyboard and step up to the plate.
Dale Pulde aka Menmyfcs
</font>
Old 01-16-2006, 08:37 PM

Tom...have you looked into legal action against these bozos ??? I would.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:53 PM

Been suggested, and who knows? But right now my concern is helping Helen protect the Gibb mark.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:55 AM

As of this afternoon, it appears Valerie Harrell is still seeking the rights to the Fred Gibb name and logo. Copied from the U.S. Trademark website.

<font color="red"> This page was generated by the TARR system on 2006-01-17 16:42:11 ET

Serial Number: 78577804

Registration Number: (NOT AVAILABLE)

Mark

(words only): FRED GIBB

Standard Character claim: No

Current Status: OPPOSITION PAPERS FILED

Date of Status: 2006-01-10

Filing Date: 2005-03-01

Transformed into a National Application: No

Registration Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Register: Principal

Law Office Assigned: LAW OFFICE 101

Attorney Assigned:
MICHELI ANGELA M Employee Location

Current Location: 650 -Publication And Issue Section

Date In Location: 2005-11-22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. HARRELL, VALERIE J.

Address:
HARRELL, VALERIE J.
13820 POLK STREET
SYLMAR, CA 913421714
United States
Legal Entity Type: Individual
Country of Citizenship: United States

GOODS AND/OR SERVICES

International Class: 028
MEMORABILIA, NAMELY TOY MODEL AUTOMOBILES AND TOY REPLICAS OF RACING VEHICLES
First Use Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)
First Use in Commerce Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Basis: 1(b)

International Class: 041
ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES, NAMELY, ORGANIZING AND CONDUCTING AUTOMOBILE EXHIBITIONS AND DISPLAYS
First Use Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)
First Use in Commerce Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Basis: 1(b)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Description of Mark: The mark consists of THE WORDS "FRED GIBB" IN OLD ENGLISH SCRIPT ON AN OBLONG TEXT BOX SUPERIMPOSED OVER A CHEVRON HAVING THREE CROSSES ABOVE THE LETTERING AND VERTICAL STRIPES BENEATH.

Name Portrait Consent: The name FRED GIBB does not identify a living individual.
</font>

<font color="blue">This page was generated by the TARR system on 2006-01-17 16:45:51 ET

Serial Number: 78578775

Registration Number: (NOT AVAILABLE)

Mark

(words only): FRED GIBB

Standard Character claim: No

Current Status: An opposition is now pending at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

Date of Status: 2005-12-27

Filing Date: 2005-03-02

Transformed into a National Application: No

Registration Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Register: Principal

Law Office Assigned: LAW OFFICE 101

Attorney Assigned:
MICHELI ANGELA M Employee Location

Current Location: 650 -Publication And Issue Section

Date In Location: 2005-11-04

LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD

1. HARRELL, VALERIE J.

Address:
HARRELL, VALERIE J.
13820 POLK STREET
SYLMAR, CA 913421714
United States
Legal Entity Type: Individual
Country of Citizenship: United States

GOODS AND/OR SERVICES

International Class: 016
POSTERS, DECALS, STICKERS AND PHOTOGRAPHS
First Use Date: 2004-01-06
First Use in Commerce Date: 2004-01-06

Basis: 1(a)

International Class: 025
CLOTHING, NAMELY T-SHIRTS, CAPS, SHIRTS, JACKETS, AND SWEATSHIRTS
First Use Date: 2004-01-06
First Use in Commerce Date: 2004-01-06

Basis: 1(a)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Description of Mark: The mark consists of THE WORDS "FRED GIBB" IN OLD ENGLISH SCRIPT ON AN OBLONG TEXT BOX SUPERIMPOSED OVER A CHEVRON HAVING THREE CROSSES ABOVE THE LETTERING AND VERTICAL STRIPES BENEATH.

Name Portrait Consent: The name FRED GIBB does not identify a living individual.
</font>
Old 01-18-2006, 03:50 AM

What can we do to help as a group (or as individuals?)

Rich
Old 01-20-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What can we do to help as a group (or as individuals?)

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for sure at this point, except reassuring Helen she is not in this fight alone.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:48 AM

Would a letter writing campain from members on this forum and/or others in the hobby affect the courts decision?

I feel it could show that there is a interest in doing something that is fair and right.

Pantera
73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Being a relative newcomer.........by reading what is going on here, it's seems that Val was going in the right direction in the beginning, but was influenced by outside forces (DP) to change directions.......could be very wrong......but "that's my view and I'm sticking to it" (Jimmy Buffett)

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things