Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts
Default Re: '66 ZL1 Corvette

Check the differential for the code stamped on it. Different codes for big vs small block differentials and caps vs U bolts. Rear sway bar evidence on big blocks, bigger front sway bar on big blocks. The tach says 327/350 horse OR 427/390 horse. Oil pressure gauge says 427/425 horse as only solid lifters got 80 pound oil pressure, so something has been changed. I'd go with the 1967 all day long, in the end, you can fix the body and paint issues. I like that '67.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,605 Posts

----Tim,,,Im unsure about 67s but I think all 66 427/390 Corvettes had 80lb gauges. All your other info is right on as usual. I see the 66 as being a rich guys playtoy, not a car with judging aspirations, and Id take either one of these Vettes for sure!!!....Bill S
Old 09-18-2015, 04:24 PM

He told me it was originally a 327/350. He said several parts have been changes out for big block parts. Email the guy and ask him.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 PM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,605 Posts

----Thanks, Joe,,,While I like the car I'm not a buyer, but I really appreciate your patience with me. I just kept seeing so many big-block specific doodads, and 66 is my favorite year as I had a 427/425 new as did my cousin. My wife, Jan and I still have our 66 427/390 that I talked her into buying in 1978. Its been featured here in the members rides section.....Bill S
Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 PM

Here is my take...

The world hates modified Corvettes, sometimes I do too.

I want to love modified Corvettes because I am a proponent of individuality within the muscle car world. On this very website, I even once defended the owner of a new Camaro who put those goofy 25+ inch wheels on it after painting the thing a chrome/gold color stating the style shouldn't be ridiculed because it fits the 'rhetoric of hot rodding.' Fulfilling a vision or goal for car ownership is what makes this hobby tick. Promote diversity. Its healthy. My gripe with the modified Corvettes is multi-fold and lots of the reasons below resonate with others here and in the hobby.

(1) Expensive cost of fiberglass restoration [makes the balance of the restoration seem justifiable when it isn't cheap either]
(2) Social pressure or better a market belief that all Corvettes need to be NCRS/BG/frame off cars
(3) An uncorrected market for project cars/drivers/train wrecks/restamped cars priced at levels near or at their original/frame off/numbers matching kin
(4) A deficit of true craftsmen who can even restore fiberglass correctly monopolize the market for restorations
(5) Flooded market of fakes, clones, restamps
(6) The personal taste in being a purist [read: I like driving Corvettes in stock configuration].

Tony - The blue '66 on ebay is beautiful. Value is very tough to determine but a good starting point would be to total the cost of parts/restoration in the car just to establish a baseline. The nice thing about the auction style is the owner is accepting offers and because you couldn't buy, modify, and build a mid year Corvette convertible for that asking price, assuming the value fits the buyer's budget, I think you can't go wrong [assuming he doesn't want a #s correct car?]. Make sure the trim/vin tags are original. Good luck.

Don - you'll find a buyer for that car. It drove like a survivor on vintage bias ply tires. It appears you like cars that bring you back in time with radical modifications. Awesome - that is what the hobby is about but this is an apples to dump trucks comparison. The blue car is stock appearing - your '67 is not. The '67 has a microscopic market. Could be the market views it more of a project than a hot rod? Just speaking aloud. Add that the block is decked and several key components underhood were converted to resemble a small block configuration doesn't help the sale either. Hang tight and I'm sure you'll connect with the next owner. No one once doubted the cool factor.

Dan

Old 09-18-2015, 10:43 PM

Daniel -- I'll be the first to admit I "butchered" a Cortez Silver Yenko Deuce that I picked up for a song in the early 70s ... I had no idea what it was or what it would be worth in the future.

At that time I was really into IMSA and local stock car racing, so I decided I wanted something like that for the street. Now realize the body on the Yenko was not perfect as it had been backed into, hit in parking lots and had other street battle damage so I decided to cut out the fenders, lower it and add Flares -- it did look pretty nice after it was completed ... even had the Yenko stripes coustomized and painted on.

At a later time (after I had sold the car) I found out what it was and its value -- I then had regrets. As you indicated "Fulfilling a vision or goal for car ownership is what makes this hobby tick". The car had its own reputation in central Illinois.

I sold that customized Yenko and the last I heard, it was in or around Coupeville, Washington -- have not heard hide nor hair of its existance since then.

TAZ
Old 09-19-2015, 01:28 AM

The ZL1 engine alone has to be 25k I would imagine. I would love to add that to my stable but I don't have 75k, but probably worth it. My $.02.

When the flag drops the bullsh1t stops.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:06 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiperf406</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ZL1 engine alone has to be 25k I would imagine. I would love to add that to my stable but I don't have 75k, but probably worth it. My $.02.

</div></div>Isn't it a new repro ZL 1 Engine that you can buy any day of the week?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:19 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my take...

The world hates modified Corvettes, sometimes I do too.

I want to love modified Corvettes because I am a proponent of individuality within the muscle car world. On this very website, I even once defended the owner of a new Camaro who put those goofy 25+ inch wheels on it after painting the thing a chrome/gold color stating the style shouldn't be ridiculed because it fits the 'rhetoric of hot rodding.' Fulfilling a vision or goal for car ownership is what makes this hobby tick. Promote diversity. Its healthy. My gripe with the modified Corvettes is multi-fold and lots of the reasons below resonate with others here and in the hobby.

(1) Expensive cost of fiberglass restoration [makes the balance of the restoration seem justifiable when it isn't cheap either]
(2) Social pressure or better a market belief that all Corvettes need to be NCRS/BG/frame off cars
(3) An uncorrected market for project cars/drivers/train wrecks/restamped cars priced at levels near or at their original/frame off/numbers matching kin
(4) A deficit of true craftsmen who can even restore fiberglass correctly monopolize the market for restorations
(5) Flooded market of fakes, clones, restamps
(6) The personal taste in being a purist [read: I like driving Corvettes in stock configuration].

Tony - The blue '66 on ebay is beautiful. Value is very tough to determine but a good starting point would be to total the cost of parts/restoration in the car just to establish a baseline. The nice thing about the auction style is the owner is accepting offers and because you couldn't buy, modify, and build a mid year Corvette convertible for that asking price, assuming the value fits the buyer's budget, I think you can't go wrong [assuming he doesn't want a #s correct car?]. Make sure the trim/vin tags are original. Good luck.

Don - you'll find a buyer for that car. It drove like a survivor on vintage bias ply tires. It appears you like cars that bring you back in time with radical modifications. Awesome - that is what the hobby is about but this is an apples to dump trucks comparison. The blue car is stock appearing - your '67 is not. The '67 has a microscopic market. Could be the market views it more of a project than a hot rod? Just speaking aloud. Add that the block is decked and several key components underhood were converted to resemble a small block configuration doesn't help the sale either. Hang tight and I'm sure you'll connect with the next owner. No one once doubted the cool factor.

Dan

</div></div> Dan, I appreciate your insight and your probably right but I only want to say one thing. 67 Corvettes are a dime a dozen. Anyone anywhere any who that has the money can buy the so called car of their dreams on any day if they want to part with the scratch but cars like mine are few and far between and is a part of our or at least my history growing up and it was a time when we truly had a car that we made our own and each car had a personality and stood out from the other. Now all your cookie cutter cars at a show or auction are alike and its a shame we don't do more to preserve what it was really all about to begin with. I'm jumping down off my psychedelic green soapbox now. If only I could find a real ram iv gto judge with paint like my vette I would be in heaven.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 AM

Yes it is a repo but I would imaging it still would be very expensive. I haven't been in the market for one but I guess they would be close to that price. Anyone know the cost of an aluminum ZL1???

When the flag drops the bullsh1t stops.