Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 12-08-2017, 02:25 PM

Thanked 1,377 Times in 670 Posts

Looking good, thanks for the post.
John 10:30
Old 01-20-2018, 11:42 PM

So engine shopping day finally arrived the other day and so did a 5.7 LS with 190,00 kms (120k miles maybe?) on it, looked nice and clean but was already out of the car so no idea how it runs.... guess we'll figure that out later

A few days later I remembered I had been talking to a guy about his 4L60e that was apparently rebuilt, Shift Kitted and had a decent converter with it. But of course he had no receipts to prove it and was selling it priced as if he did, so i thought id offer him bugger all for it and he took it... great... so we got all the bits back to the shed and then my weekend install came to a crashing halt when I realised I didn't have any bell housing dowel pins ... so I'm stopped and waiting for a 2 dollar part to be shipped from the other side of the country... beers on for the weekend instead I guess

So I got done what I could which was install the Holley oil pan, and Mr Kwhizz's fancy looking engine mount plates. The engine already had a GM truck sump on it but would have hung too low (below the cross member). So that came off along with the oil pickup aannnddd all the threads around the bolt that holds the pickup.... ... out with the taps n locktite and we got that sorted, as well as modding the Holley oil pickup to fit the windage tray.... and we're done, at least until my dowel pins show up.

While I was at the shed I took the axels out again n put longer studs in to accommodate the new disks and started looking at the handbrake install... immediately there are problems. Looks like the cable housing that runs from the chassis to the calliper isn't long enough by about an inch. Thinking that its something I stuffed up I pulled it all apart again to check that its all in correctly... looks like it is and the cable is still short so I'll have to figure something out there, its a battle for another day tho.

Now that the tank is out and I was under there I thought I'd have a good look around at the trunk floor... and wow she's solid, could use a clean up so we'll hit it with some deadener before the tank goes back in but I'm pretty stoked with it none the less.

While I'm on the subject of fuel tanks what have you guys found the best for a in tank pump conversion?? I have looked at the TanksInk kit and while the kit looks great i hear that Walbro pump is loud so I'd have to swap it for a DW pump... or there is converting a GTO pump, but from what i can find if have to get a sump welded in the tank. So basically I'm not sure which way to go with this, given its a bit of a budget build as well.

Cheers guys.