Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Default Re: So Charley....Gonna tell everyone what you bought?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----Hi Bill,,,Nothing fast anymore. Actually, boats are taking up more of my time and thoughts than stuff on four wheels lately. Actually, I have been having some fun with Ken Barnharts old Suburban. Local engine builder, Tyler Crockett is building me a fairly stout 502 for it right now. He says Ill be able to embarass a few young guys with it.
----Saw your flopper on the Power Tour thread. Very tasty, but I would expect no less!!!!......Bill S </div></div>

Bill S,
• We cackled twice on 95% then two more times on 100% in Muskegon….
• I badgered Lillard into getting in the car for the third cackle….
• I think he was OK with it….
• If I ever get him in the car again we will let the body down….that is when you realize what it was like back in the day….
• I will email our schedule to you….if you can hook up with us you can have some seat time if you would like it….

Porterfield
Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kim_Howie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jude that is the same car I sold to BP for 2,000.00 </div></div>
I knew because I think you may have sent a copy of the cxl'd check to Larry S and it ended up in the file that was passed along to me. Easy to see that you were doing Bill a big favor by basically giving the car away for 2 grand.

Lot's of us have had fun, made money and some good friends along the way finding, fixin' or flippin' these cars for fun and (sometimes) profit. It has always made me feel good to know something cool that I found is now in the hands of someone else that dig's it. This site has been an amazing conduit for the hobby. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,154 Times in 669 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NovaMob03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DW31S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bill Porterfield, Dave Siltman here (DW31S):
Whatever became of the Gibb Nova that John Hooper had? I kinda remember you found it for him, and he was trying to make a racer out of it. Then out of thin air it vanished! And..........wasn't that car RED??? </div></div>

That's the one (#21/Grecian Green) Kim H found, sold to Bill, went to Hooper, Larry S-on west coast, to me, Tom L in WI, then auctioned at Mecum &amp; now in Odessa TX (from what I was told). The new owner got a smokin' deal on it.

</div></div>

The car was owned here in WI by an associate of a group of guys I've known for 30+ years. No body tag and a junk slapped-together engine that had a major failure while being driven home from a car show. No pleasant memories here.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: William</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NovaMob03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=DW31S]Hey Bill Porterfield, Dave Siltman here (DW31S):
Whatever became of the Gibb Nova that John Hooper had? I kinda remember you found it for him, and he was trying to make a racer out of it. Then out of thin air it vanished! And..........wasn't that car RED??? </div></div>

That's the one (#21/Grecian Green) Kim H found, sold to Bill, went to Hooper, Larry S-on west coast, to me, Tom L in WI, then auctioned at Mecum &amp; now in Odessa TX (from what I was told). The new owner got a smokin' deal on it.

</div></div>

The car was owned here in WI by an associate of a group of guys I've known for 30+ years. No body tag and a junk slapped-together engine that had a major failure while being driven home from a car show. No pleasant memories here.
[/quote
The motor was built by Larry S.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM

Someone was asleep at the wheel. The crank broke and took out the block. No it was not abused.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Unfortunately true, William.
When I purchased the (unrestored) Nova from Larry the engine/trans/rear was already built and since he had 5 (1 pro mod record holding) drag car's &amp; said the motor was built right (by one of his shop guys-unsupervised) I had no reason to not doubt his word(Larry was also stricken with cancer, but was still racing).

I regret not having the engine checked out. Eventually, I helped Tom find a 440 block from another sYc member which made the car 'more correct', but it was an old Iowa race car that'd lost it's orig component's long before Kim even found it.
When Tom took it to auction @ Indy I strongly suggested he reconsider, but he'd been told he'd get a prime Fri or Sat spot and it would sell well. That didn't happen &amp; it sold around 50K
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM

I saw it at Russo-Steele that January. I believe it was bid to about 70 but short of the reserve. Had his chance I guess.

Not everyone has a pleasant experience in the hobby.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

What was the highest price that particular Nova has ever sold for so far?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 PM

The Matadore Red one that was restored by Bushey and sold for around 150 @ B-J. I believe the seller had over 200-225K in it at that time.
For some reason the Gibb Nova's run pretty close to the Yenko Deuces, but far less were built, they were copo'd for S/S racing and Dick Harrell touched many of them. Personally, I always thought they should be more valuable, but not everybody appreciates the 'plain jane' look [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] .
Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 AM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 497 Posts

I think that red car was offered at another auction prior to BJ and bid to over 200k...no sale though..didn't make reserve. BJ was no reserve and the new owner got a great deal...the Gibb cars should command a premium considering how few exist. I personally think they have more signifgance than the Yenko converted 69 427 cars...but, I'm sure some would view that differently.

wilma [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro