Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts
Cool Of the muscle car era...

Of the muscle car era, what car was an absolute beast? And along the same lines, what car surprised you the most, both good and bad?

Lots of experience and knowledge on here, and although I wasn't old enough to know what was going on, I always wondered which ones lived up to the muscle car title. I'm including old Vettes and Cobras in this too. Were the L88 Vettes nuts? Yenkos? LS-6's? Or something that's not mentioned quite as much, like an AMC or Buick product?
John 10:30
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 PM

68 1/2 Cobrajet Mustang....nothing could touch it around my town...there where a lot of fast cars, many people bought and built fast cars..but that car was a monster...nothing ran as hard or as fast as that thing..it was a giant killer..plain looking steel wheels no frills..a real sleeper...but it left an impression on anyone that raced it...

and i dont even remeber the guys name....it was white with a blue stripe and pained steel wheels..but i remember the car
Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I'm not aware of any stock type cars which were hometown heroes. All the hero cars were motor swapped or modified in some way. The sleepers worked hard to mask these mods, but I can't paint the picture with broad strokes. It really was the people and what they did with the cars.

Actually, just like the Street Outlaws today- it was about who could manage the road and traction. There were plenty of Tri-Five guys beating "modern" 396 Camros (insert any new car here) in 1969 and they often became legendary races which stories get repeated around local cruise nights today.

Motion cars bridge both sides of this example. I struggle to answer this question with just a car- as I cannot separate any example from the men I know who made the cars so relevant in my area.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:36 AM

During my college days in the early 1970's I worked in our local Gulf service station in the summers when I was home from college. I knew a guy that worked across the street in an old fashioned grocery store. He had a 1970 Hemi Cuda, bright red with a black vinyl top. I don't know if he ever raced it. What I do remember though is that when he started it, it would shake the whole surrounding area.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:07 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts

Interesting. Growing up in the 70's, I can remember seeing at least one and usually more than one modified car on every street, and several in each neighborhood, so I can see what you're saying about modified cars. I miss those days.
John 10:30