Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts
Default Anyone here experienced with blowers?

I'm looking at buying a 355 with a supercharger from a guy who built it for his '32 coupe but had some damage from hurricane Irma and needs the money. The block is Summit blower-prepped with all new forged internals with a GMC 6-71 blower. He said that the blower needs new seals and that the rotors need to be reversed. The engine comes with everything except carbs, distributor, intake gasket, lower blower crank pulley and belt.
Does that sound reasonable? I'm not familiar with the reversing the rotors so that's totally new to me, but just curious if anyone has had any experience in this world as it's all new to me, thanks.
John 10:30
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-28-2017, 04:28 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

It sounds like the blower has never been converted from diesel to gas. Not a difficult job but there is a little machining involved. A few of the blower shops will do the conversion for you, but it's probably a few hundred dollars at a guess. May be cheaper to find something ready to go, depending on how much the guy wants for it?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:24 AM

Thanks Damien. Yes, the deal is quite good, and I've always thought this car needed a blower and with my budget this is the only way I'm getting one now. I think I'm going to pull the trigger this week, ask a million questions, and figure this out. You only live once and I figure it was made by a man, a man can fix it. Wish me luck.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:32 PM

Can anyone tell me any set up issues I may have if I go the blower route? Anything special with regard to timing or carburation? I was going to try to use the carbs that are on my current tunnel ram but wasn't sure if that was the best idea. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:51 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

There are a lot more costs to running a blower and/or building an engine to handle the boost as well Mark. Like a proper forged crank with a keyed snout, proper balancer, stronger rods and rod bolts (I ran MX series rods), forged blower pistons, camshaft ground for forced induction, good enough heads to handle the extra flow of the forced induction, and yes...the blower should have correct carbs designed for use with forced induction. Atop that. you'll also need to look into the cooling system and fuel supply to see if they are going to match the required supply. A guy can spend 15K w/o batting an eye when it comes to rebuilding a motor for use with a blower.

It all adds up quickly...and seldom is there much return if you decide you don't like it.

Last edited by NorCam; 11-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:15 PM

Thanks NorCam. The engine block, crank, pistons, heads and cam that I'm looking at have been built for a blower by Summit, so I feel OK about that, but it's the rest as you mentioned that concerns me. Thanks again, I appreciate your valuable insight.