Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-31-2018, 07:42 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Maiorana View Post
So out of curiosity which mustang is the one that he drove into the ditch?
The "jumper." The front suspension was heavily damaged.

If I remember correctly, McQueen wanted to do the slide. Unfortunately after three takes - he couldn't do it. So Loren Janes jumped in the car and did it on his first take. There is a big difference between a good race car driver, which McQueen was and a Hollywood stunt driver which McQueen wasn't. He only did 10% of the driving in BULLITT.

One of the most incredible things about BULLITT is that at the time of it's filming there were 4 top stunt drivers in Hollywood:

Bud Elkins
Carey Loftin
Loren Janes
Bill Hickman

All 4 drove in BULLITT.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (02-02-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 PM

Now all we need is to find someone with info on Jim Morrison's Shelby...
Old 01-31-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hurstSC View Post
Now all we need is to find someone with info on Jim Morrison's Shelby...
LOL - the Mary Celeste of muscle cars. So many claim to know where it is but it has never surfaced. Some experts claim that while driving drunk Morrison totaled it and simply walked away from it. The car was then sent to a junkyard and destroyed.

What I would like to see appear is one of the two remaining 1970 Hemi Road Runner Convertibles. Plymouth built 3 of them - 1 was sent to Canada, the other two for the USA. One of the USA cars is definitely known to have been destroyed. So where are the other two?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
LOL - the Mary Celeste of muscle cars. So many claim to know where it is but it has never surfaced. Some experts claim that while driving drunk Morrison totaled it and simply walked away from it. The car was then sent to a junkyard and destroyed.

What I would like to see appear is one of the two remaining 1970 Hemi Road Runner Convertibles. Plymouth built 3 of them - 1 was sent to Canada, the other two for the USA. One of the USA cars is definitely known to have been destroyed. So where are the other two?
It wasn't destroyed that day.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hurstSC View Post
It wasn't destroyed that day.
Correct. Many say the police had the car towed to a junkyard where eventually it was crushed and sold as scrap.

One of the things that Morrison did which has been documented was . . . he would drive drunk, get into an accident (not too serious). Walk away then report the car stolen so his insurance would be on the hook to repair it. But the last time he supposedly ran into a telephone pole.

And we can't forget the rumor that he parked it at LAX long term on his way to the DOORS touring overseas, forgot about the car which was eventually seized and sold at auction which would mean the car MAY exist.

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 01-31-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:23 PM

It wasn't towed to a junkyard either. Don't believe what you've read online. What is true is it hasn't been titled since Morrison's ownership.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:25 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

I know someone that says he knows who has it and has been trying to buy it for years. He has come up with some very rare cars so I have no reason to doubt him.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 PM

Like I said . . . . the Mary Celeste of muscle cars.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:30 AM

I have a customer that may own it. Years ago he bought a 68 GT390 Mustang from a movie car lot and had it shipped back east. He said that while fixing it up to paint red (early 80's) that it had a bullet hole and right front suspension damage similar to what is seen in the movie. I will tell you - HE HAS NO INTEREST IN FINDING OUT IF IT IS A BULLIT CAR! Seriously! I have asked him many times for the vin number. He just chuckles and turns a little red in the face. He is tired of hearing about it. May have to drive the Runner to his place this summer just to see it. I have only ever seen pictures he has brought over to the shop.
Quote:
This should stir things up . . . From an interview with Loren Janes who drove in BULLITT:

"We had three identical green 1968 Ford Mustang fastbacks and three black Dodge Chargers in the movie. Many writers have said two, but there were three of each. We needed the extra cars in case one was damaged. The movie's shooting schedule can't be slowed for dents and things like that. Fortunately we only had to use a second Mustang once when the first Mustang had to go in to be fixed up.

https://jalopnik.com/5744523/the-rea...ene-in-bullitt
[email protected] PSMCDR 9/14
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 quad black
14.36@92 Factory Stock division of F.A.S.T.
**SOLD** 1970 Road Runner Superbird 440-6 4spd EB5
Old 02-02-2018, 01:32 AM

I have a customer that may own it. Years ago he bought a 68 GT390 Mustang from a movie car lot and had it shipped back east. He said that while fixing it up to paint red (early 80's and still green) that it had a bullet hole and right front suspension damage similar to what is seen in the movie. I will tell you - HE HAS NO INTEREST IN FINDING OUT IF IT IS A BULLIT CAR! Seriously! I have asked him many times for the vin number. He just chuckles and turns a little red in the face. He is tired of hearing about it. May have to drive the Runner to his place this summer just to see it. I have only ever seen pictures he has brought over to the shop.
Quote:
This should stir things up . . . From an interview with Loren Janes who drove in BULLITT:

"We had three identical green 1968 Ford Mustang fastbacks and three black Dodge Chargers in the movie. Many writers have said two, but there were three of each. We needed the extra cars in case one was damaged. The movie's shooting schedule can't be slowed for dents and things like that. Fortunately we only had to use a second Mustang once when the first Mustang had to go in to be fixed up.

https://jalopnik.com/5744523/the-rea...ene-in-bullitt
[email protected] PSMCDR 9/14
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 quad black
14.36@92 Factory Stock division of F.A.S.T.
**SOLD** 1970 Road Runner Superbird 440-6 4spd EB5