Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Olds

Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 AM

Default Re: 1970 Olds 442 W-30 convertible four-speed

After almost 35 years of ownership my wife and I have decided to sell our precious 1970 Oldsmobile 442. Many of you have seen the car or followed it's progress. For those of you that don't know the car it is a bullet proof documented 1970 442 W-30 Convertible 4 speed and currently the only one known of the 96 originals ordered with the aluminum w-27 rear end.

For those of you that don't know me, I am just a regular car guy that bought a 1971 Oldsmobile in high school and has owned many since. At one time I had my three W-30 4 speed convertibles with a combined purchase price for all three of under $5,000 dollars. Those were the days!!!!

I bought this very special car in 1978 and it was placed strategically in my garage for almost 30 of those years. During that time I collected many of the NOS parts used for the restoration. A few years ago we decided we needed to restore the car back to its original glory. We saved and were able to hire Gary Riley at Level One Restoration. You can see pictures of the restoration at levelonerestoration.com. Many extra details were also included in the restoration such as the original Hansel Oldsmobile license frames and paper plates and California new car sticker.

I felt it was important to share the car as much as I could afford so it went to 4 auto venues including SEMA Las Vegas, the Oldsmobile Nationals in Reno, Muscle Car Nationals in Chicago and the Detroit Autorama. At the Detroit Autorama it was shown day two trim with vintage Ansen Sprint aluminum slotted rims and vintage original Goodyear polyglass g-70x14 on the front and h60x14 on the rear.

My wife and I do not want to auction the car so it will be listed for sale on various sites. It is a car that represents well the period of time of the 70s performance era and Oldsmobiles high water mark for one of it's best cars. I was very lucky to buy it in 1978 and to this day appreciate Robert Kasley's (the original owners) vision when he order the car, W-30, 4 speed, 3:91 W-27, poverty caps, rally pack, 8 track, no console....just perfect! Even the gold color was representative of the era with three different golds available in 1970. Red and Black may be more desired and popular but gold clearly stated the 1970 era best. Thanks for all your support during the restoration. My price will also be in the area of a high water mark for this type of car but some very recent private sales have been clearly within this price range. I will always have my 1971 442 M-22 convertible so I will not be bailing out of the hobby.

Tomorrow I plan to post a for sale ad on this site. I hope when the dust settles people will feel we were good caretakers of the car. Thanks Lee and Sue Pearl
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Good luck Lee. She's a real stunner! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]

Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Lee,

I know this must be a difficult decision. I'm glad I was able to see it finished in person last year. What a wonderful car.It will make someone very very happy. I hope it finds as great a caretaker for the next 35 years as you have been.
Best of luck,
DL
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Thanks Don: I had a blast showing the car around the country for a whole year. You and I have owned the best of the best Buick and Oldsmobile. That was a pretty big deal. Both of us were good caretakers of our cars and brought them back as best as we could. I hope the new owner of my car is a special person too. Lee
Old 09-08-2012, 04:56 AM

The car is now posted in the for sale section. Lee