Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2017, 12:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default HUGE Building Resto project

Not sure if you guys are interested in this, but figured if the "lounge" could host jokes, why not a building resto. Besides, we all like waxing nostalgic or we wouldn't be viewing all thos gas station pics.

I will feed as much or as little of this project to the group as interest dictates.

Short back ground. Built in 1902 to house a newspaper and general publishing business. 50,000 square feet. Located in Guthrie, OK, next door to our home. Statehood was announced at the steps of this building to the sound of gunfire coming from one of the tower balconies in 1907.
Building was donated to the Oklahoma State Historical Society in 1975. Opened as a publishing museum and operated until 2012. Budget slashed during the recession and the boiler broke; bottom line is they can't afford to maintain it. Been sitting vacant since 2012.

St. Louis developer tried to buy it and turn it into "Affordable Senior Adult Apartments" using low income housing tax credits. I won't go into detail, but I (and a few other Guthrie citizens) threw a fit. They would have gutted this beauty. They have withdrawn their bid.

So, what to do? I formed a non profit and we are trying to acquire the building, preserve, protect and then restore it to its former glory. Will take between $2m and $4m to get it done.

We have a 9 member board of GREAT folks here commited to seeing this happen.

At the end of this post, there will be a very cool pic of The Building. That is our house in the back ground. If you are interested in the story, we have received two good articles in The Oklahoman this week with more to come.

Articles are here: http://m.newsok.com/article/5556642

and here: http://m.newsok.com/board-in-place-f...rticle/5556968

Sorry you have to see my ugly mug to view the articles.

And here is my favorite pic of the building so far:
Attached Images

HawkX66 (08-04-2017)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 1994+.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...