Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
We all know how sex sells, so I threw that in there to get the masses attention! And for you ladies who saw that and thought "I'm gonna give that guy a piece of my mind! " you're obviously a car girl since you're on this site, so I need your opinion too!

Scenario: 1968 S-Code 4spd GT Fastback, Highland Green, Saddle interior, lots of cool options, 1 of 159 according to the Marti Report. Numbers matching engine, original trans and rear. Two engine blocks are included with the car. The original numbers matching one with two hefty cracks in two cylinders, and another 390 from a later dated GT. The original engine was sleeved and repaired and is good to go. Other block checks out too. All bolt on parts except the intake, are correct for the original block.

Dilema: Want to build the motor for some power, but nothing crazy. I'd like to use Blue Thunder heads and intake and add a stroker kit. The goal is about 450hp. Easily done. Everything will appear stock. So building the motor like this, would you use the numbers block or the spare 390? You all know me....I sell everything anyway, so I'm trying to think what would be the best way to do the engine build?

So vote! Tell me your thoughts! Do everything numbers matching, or do the spare motor with no fear of tanking it at the track? But then again..... am I really ever going to drive it before I sell it anyway?

There... that should make for a good Monday morning chat. Talk amongst yourselves...... and me!

Cheers
Dave
Hey! Where are the boobs? I came here for boobs! lol If it were me, I'd build a clone motor for the power and bag the numbers motor for storage. That's what I did for my 69 Camaro. I didn't want to hurt the numbers motor if I decided to side step the clutch one day. I knew I would want to play a little.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 12-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

If you are just going to sell it then build the original back as close to numbers matching as you can and put it in the car. If you are not going to get it out and enjoy it then why build it with more power and not original? If you are going to keep it a while and enjoy it then build the other one with more power and save the original to sell with the car later.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

These are awesome points, guys. Good things to consider and valid points either way. I guess the ultimate decision whether I keep the car or not.... and I know me....i don't I appreciate all the input! Did someone say something about boobs?

Cheers
Dave
Old 12-04-2017, 04:23 PM

Thanked 2,395 Times in 758 Posts

Build the original block and put it in the car since you will be selling it once you get tired of it.

Then sell the spare block separately for added bonus cash.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:56 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 507 Posts

You saved the original block, so it's obviously important to you. Build it, because when you sell the car, odds are the next guy is going to lose it somehow. Build it with well ported stock heads (because the casting numbers are right there in front of God and everybody to show the world if you swapped them), stroker crank (445 ish cid), Ford aluminum PI intake (looks correct, lighter) and CJ manifolds ( looks correct, better). Make the Toploader a wide ratio box if it isn't already and go.

If you should happen to blow up the original block-oh well. It's already on it's second life and 68 Mustang 390 GT buyers care about 1/10 as much about original blocks as '68 Camaro buyers do. Between the VIN and the Marti report, there just isn't any doubt in what it is.

My $.02
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Build the original block and put it in the car since you will be selling it once you get tired of it.

Then sell the spare block separately for added bonus cash.
Yes exactly, this would be my vote.
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 PM

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,169 Posts

"The original numbers matching one with two hefty cracks in two cylinders"

ESPECIALLY because of this; build the original motor. Any idea how many guys out there will not even believe the original block is repairable? If it is in the car running, there will be no doubt. WAY easier to sell a "numbers" car with everything intact. This coming from a guy who has the original 302 stashed and is driving a 69Z with a 70 spec LT-1.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:56 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
"The original numbers matching one with two hefty cracks in two cylinders"

ESPECIALLY because of this; build the original motor. Any idea how many guys out there will not even believe the original block is repairable? If it is in the car running, there will be no doubt. WAY easier to sell a "numbers" car with everything intact. This coming from a guy who has the original 302 stashed and is driving a 69Z with a 70 spec LT-1.

This!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

Very good points, all of you..... and it's really good food for thought!! Think I'll go the original engine route. I think when the time to sell comes to sell it, that will be a bonus to add in the description. Not "Yeah... it's numbers matching, but the block is over there in the corner with a 'How to build Ford FEs' engine book on top of it!"

Thanks all for the input. That helped a lot!! Now... back to the Mustang thread! Gotta get that thing done! MCACN "X" is FAST approaching. Hmmmm....X.... is the the adult version of the show?

Cheers

Dave
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,145 Posts

No,this is.
Attached Images